Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA certification

Options
  • 01-02-2007 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hello,

Can someone tell me is it possible to achieve CCNA certification through a self taught method or must one enrol on a course to do so?

If self taught is an option which book or CD would you best recommend?.

I have been working on an IT helpdesk for the last 2 years and wish to add to my qualifications.

Regards,
    Tommy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I don't know your current knowledge but I would not recommend CCNA as a starting point. Some Network+ courses and maybe some of the network test's in the MCSE's would be a better bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Well CCNA is the entry level certification for Cisco and is not really difficult compared to a MCSE on 2003 and other Cisco certifications.
    If you are working hard enough you should be able to pass it without great difficulties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

CCNA is a great course to have, I have found it real helps when looking for work. I am CCVP now. For the CCNA I did a 12 week course on a saturday morning which I found great, we got a morning's theory and practice and you have one week for it to soak in, any questions you had could be prepared for the next class. I dont know how anyone could do the 5day intensive courses or be self taught IMO. However saying that there are changes to the course since I did it. The course was just one exam in my day and now you have a choice, you can do the all in one exam or split into 2 parts (2 seperate exams). So I suppose you could take each exam individually self taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

can i ask where you did the 12 week course and how much it cost?

I did the course at this place in Dublin, cant remember how much (circa 1000e) and I don't know if they have a similar offer for this summer, but you can check out the web page

http://www.bct.ie/

• Advertisement

Actually the course now is 14 weeks, this is the details for the last time they ran the weekend class, I guess they will run it again for the summer but the schedule hasn't been updated

Cisco Certified Network Associate ~ CCNA
    Sep Saturdays
    10am-12:15pm
    14 €1300

damonjewel wrote:
    I did the course at this place in Dublin, cant remember how much (circa 1000e) and I don't know if they have a similar offer for this summer, but you can check out the web page

http://www.bct.ie/

I hope the quality of their course is better than their website lol

Yeah the site is poor, but I have done 2 courses with this group and the lecturers are excellent. When I was doing the ccna the guy giving the course was studying for his CCIE and had his own personal routers and switches set up in his lab at his job and then gave the class logins if we ever needed to access and play around to familiarise ourselves with the config and commands. Also the class (in my case 12 people) are paired up and get a router each for doing their lab stuff on.So its quite hands on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rooker7

CCNA was useful for me as I was pursuing CCNP and now CCIE. I'd suggest CCNA is good for general networking as well as the obvious Cisco benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ml

This course was about 12 weeks long. 7PM to 10PM on a Thursday evening in Carlow IT. Very good teacher.

Still haven't got around to doing the course yet, is it as difficult to pass as people say it is?!

http://www.itcarlow.ie/cont_edu_itcarlow2.asp?top_section=2&lower_section=11&lower2_section=39&sel_sect=60

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Hi Homer

If you're looking for a hands-on Instructor led training course BT Training Solutions have one running March 26-31 in Dublin. Contact details are in the sticky at the top of the Forum.

Thanks
    Patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I'd say the CCNA is more than doable on home study, and in much less time/cost than an instructor led course - but that naturally depends on your own willpower, some people need the structure (and the knowledge you just paid an arm and a leg for it ;) ). Basically if you know you can keep to your own schedule go for home study - the Ciscopress books and full Boson sim (the one that comes with the books is okay, but the full Sim is much more intensive) are all you would need.

I'd also echo what was said earlier about doing the Network+ first. Besides setting you up with some of the knowledge for the INTRO part of the CCNA it will let you gauge your own ability to study at home.

As for the toughness of the exam compared to the MCSE (as was also mentioned earlier), well compared to all 7 exams then no it's not as hard. It is harder than any individual MCP but ultimately more rewarding imho (the exams push you harder but more logically and in more relavant ways than Microsoft (again imho), not that MCPs are bad just personally I felt more pride in having passed the CCNA).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭underworld

Does anyone have the boson or testking Q&A for the ccna or know where they can be downloaded...im tryin to play catchup and think they might help?

underworld wrote:
    Does anyone have the boson or testking Q&A for the ccna or know where they can be downloaded...im tryin to play catchup and think they might help?

Testking lol ok, I see you are a cheater...
    And you are not even ashamed to ask on a public forum.
    Good luck in your IT career lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Mick, less of that thanks.

Mick, less of that thanks.

You are the boss alright :-)
    Myself I would say less of cheaters, the quality of IT services would be better :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

No Flaming
    I don't care if you think one course is rubbish or another is God's Gift to IT, if you're going to debate it be sensible about it and reason why. Flaming will win you a two week ban.

See you in a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

In fairness to mick.fr he is right, using 'testking' materials is cheating and it is frowned upon within the IT community. It basically lowers the standard of IT certs and devalues the hard work of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I studied for the CCNA using the official CCNA books, two seperate books for the ICND and the Intro course. I found the books to cover the course quite well. I also had a Cisco 1721 router to practice on.

For the exam itself I did use some Sim Software Boson possibly I cant really remember just to get a feel for the sims, it came with the books.

I recommend you just get the books, some sim sw, a router and study. I dont think the course is worth it.

Just read the post I ditto everything _creed_ said.

On a more personal note, I dont want this to come across as sales pitch but I have still have that 1721 router if you think of doing the home study, If you can provide some sort of guarantee I have no problem lending it to you.

I studied for the CCNA using the official CCNA books, two seperate books for the ICND and the Intro course. I found the books to cover the course quite well. I also had a Cisco 1721 router to practice on.

For the exam itself I did use some Sim Software Boson possibly I cant really remember just to get a feel for the sims, it came with the books.

I recommend you just get the books, some sim sw, a router and study. I dont think the course is worth it.

Just read the post I ditto everything _creed_ said.

On a more personal note, I dont want this to come across as sales pitch but I have still have that 1721 router if you think of doing the home study, If you can provide some sort of guarantee I have no problem lending it to you.

• Advertisement

Just saw this on the Register, I have nothing to do with the compnay so I dont think its promoting really.
    Register Books would like to offer you the chance to get on board the Cisco bandwagon and attain your qualifications. Check out the best selling titles below and make sure you are in the right position to take advantage of Cisco. All titles at 40 per cent off again*.

hxxp://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/02/21/register_books_21_02/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

CCNA is what I'm currently working on and almost finished. Although I want to complete every CompTIA cert in my own time I will be doing so after the CCNA and don't see any reason why someone couldn't start on the CCNA like me and most of my class. Keep your head down and you'll be fine, I'd also recommend investing in a home lab.

By the by Boson doesn't come cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭coolpix23

I have experience of BT Training in Dublin... The Cisco instructor there is EXCELLENT.

I'd definetly do some self study first so as to hit the ground running if you do go for a class course later.

Get the Cisco ICND1 and ICND 2 books by Wendell Odem. Theyr'e expensive! The hard back versions have simulators.

To keep costs to a minimum I'd use GNS3 to emulate the routers and 1 real Cisco switch for the switch.

+++++++++++++++++
    I have some 2950-24's 15 miles from Carlow for €90, have some 2620xm routers for €100. Could deliver them to Carlow when I'm in shopping.
    +++++++++++++++++

check out
    http://www.subnet192.com/?page_id=282
    you need the whole link, it's labs for the ICND1

and
    http://www.howtonetwork.net/public/department95.cfm
    they give you a 60 day plan to the CCNA

and
    http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_54/815000/815026/1/print/815026.pdf
    is an excellent free book in .pdf

google the "Cisco Feature Navigator"

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭coolpix23

at underwold,
    I'm not sure but I think it's against the rules of this site to ask for warz,cracks or other illegal things, it's not fair to the people who make the software and it's not fair to the people who run this site because maybe it could get THEM in trouble

Advertisement