Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1,000th post!

• 01-02-2007 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well I finally made the big 1,000, something which I've never accomplished in all my years of pissing about internet forums. And it got me thinking, do any of you care about your post count?

I mean, looking at the top posters, Victor comes out top with 28,631 posts. That's a hell of a lot, but he's been here a while and is also a mod so that counts as an excuse, I guess :D

But when you go onto some forums, in particular US forums, you see some incredibly high post counts. One guy was on over 900,000 posts! and he was averaging about 70 posts a day at one point. Ok, granted, he may be bed ridden, with a laptop as his only means of communication, but it's probably a safe bet he's just a fat guy living in his parents basement.

So the point of this thread (apart from posting for the 1,000th time, yipee!), is to ask, are we spending too much time on the internet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I give this about 6 posts before it's locked.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ok then Kenny = #3 here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'll leave it because he asked a valid question.

In my humble opinion, no, we are not spending too much time on the internet. Well, I'm not anyway.
    It keeps me occupied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

We're not spending enough time on the internet. The streets of Dublin are getting scarier and scarier. Pighead feels safe in front of his monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

noOb*

/runs away giggling

Congrats! It shows commitment! You should show this to tour future life partner as a sign of your dedication :p

*I'm delighted I get to say that, as it was said to me at 1000. Feckin bullys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

in work when there is nothing to do...internet is good. Stay on it all day. Apart from that me thinks we are spending too much time on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

humanji wrote:
    do any of you care about your post count?
    Some do, some don't.

It can be a good indication, along with join date, use of txt spk or not and various other factors as to whether or not you'd take a post/someone's viewpoint seriously.

Postcount++ ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Trilla wrote:
    in work when there is nothing to do...internet is good.

I often end up wasting time on the internet when there is something to do in work. I find the best way to balance work and internet dossing is to reward myself for, say, 20 minutes work with 10 minutes sniggering at internet funny stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

personally i dont care but every 1,000 posts i will post a big whoot somewhere on boards

for me its more about qaulity of posts not qauntity (though some of my posts qaulity has been woeful :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Trilla wrote:
    in work when there is nothing to do...internet is good. Stay on it all day. Apart from that me thinks we are spending too much time on it.

Second that

• Advertisement

agamemnon wrote:
    I often end up wasting time on the internet when there is something to do in work.

i'm the same , got about 20 things to do right now , i just procrastinate for as long as possible and do it all within about an hour going hell for leather :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 daveball

well donr for something, lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

humanji wrote:
    Well I finally made the big 1,000, something which I've never accomplished in all my years of pissing about internet forums. And it got me thinking, do any of you care about your post count?
    Nope.
    So the point of this thread (apart from posting for the 1,000th time, yipee!), is to ask, are we spending too much time on the internet?

Theres worse things we could be out doing I suppose.:) People who are meant to be working, your IPs are being traced as we speak and then bosses notified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Kenny 5 wrote:
    I give this about 6 posts before it's locked.

If Ruu didn't lock it then i dont think its gona happen until later today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

humanji wrote:

It's what I live for!
    humanji wrote:

Yes. If I spent less time on the net I would finish my research by this evening :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Quality over quantity.
    Ruu wrote:
    People who are meant to be working, your IPs are being traced as we speak and then bosses notified.
    Tattler.

But don't a few workplaces block Boards.ie nowadays?

Boards.ie .. a workplaces nightmare.

I remember my 1,000th post. It was a lovely day in .. something something.

On a different forum that I barely use anymore I have 6,000+ posts, but that was from a summer where I had nothing to do but go on the internet. It was my only source of communication with the outside world in a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

1000 posts - no more significant a number than say 752 posts.

I blame decimalisation ;)

Ruu wrote:
    People who are meant to be working, your IPs are being traced as we speak and then bosses notified.
    What happens if you are self employed? Do you punish yourself?

Anyhow this is my 1011111110100'th post on here! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

kbannon wrote:
    What happens if you are self employed? Do you punish yourself?

Anyhow this is my 1011111110100'th post on here! :D

^^ this is when you know you spend too much time on the computer :):)

i don't care about post count but as seansouth said "It can be a good indication, along with join date, use of txt spk or not and various other factors as to whether or not you'd take a post/someone's viewpoint seriously."

i have to say on the old for sale boards post count for me had a slight influence whether or not i'd buy something or not, but not as much anymore

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote:
    i have to say on the old for sale boards post count for me had a slight influence whether or not i'd buy something or not, but not as much anymore
    That's quite a good point, i'd need a lot of reassurance to buy something from someone with only a handful of posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

humanji wrote:
    are we spending too much time on the internet?

no i don't think we are. the internet imo has become a necessity in the lives of many. there is somuch that can be done. the need to printed media is now obsolete. the internet is saving the rain forrest. FACT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Mossy Monk wrote:
    no i don't think we are. the internet imo has become a necessity in the lives of many. there is somuch that can be done. the need to printed media is now obsolete. the internet is saving the rain forrest. FACT
    Wait till they start tearing down the rainforests to build huge server farms!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Can't use the internet in work, except for work related matters. Spending about 3 hours a night online but I've the laptop infront of the tv, so no, I don't think I'm spending too much time on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I spend way to much time on the internet. I'm in work now and have nothing to do so there's nothing really else that i can do except go on the internet.

When i go home i'll prob spend another 1-2 hours online before falling asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I have nearly 3000, but I can assure you all thats its pure quantity over quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Me loves the internet *hugs the net*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

A thousand meaningful/semi-meaningful posts > x thousand LOL!/me 2!/seconded/OMG I'm drunk n senseless! postcount++ drivel.

42.65% of After Hours posters take note.

rb_ie wrote:
    Can't use the internet in work, except for work related matters. Spending about 3 hours a night online but I've the laptop infront of the tv, so no, I don't think I'm spending too much time on it.

lol , ,y bos tried to tell me that when he first started off in my office , i let him away with his "rule" for a couple of days after that it was business as usual for me :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

some boys, whats the average people get in post terms on a board before they get bored and leave?
    for me its anything past 1,000..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Victor was looking to rack up 1,000,000 posts and then die happy, thankfully ecksor saved his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

|_| <- the carebox is empty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

would you like it filled with attention?

ot:

When I joined boards in '02 there wasn't many with posts above 1,000. They all had the tag line No Life as some of you remember.
    What some people cared about more back then was the daily average post count. That got removed after a while and it is now only displayed in the user profile.
    I'm not too pushed about my post count. Never expected to reach the 1,000 mark.

I don't really care about my post count here, I think my count on an american forum is 15k+...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Some people are pretty quick to talk about 'spending too much time on the internet', yet it's more a social stigma then anything - some people would consider spending a certain amount of time on the internet somewhat sad and are quick to mention so, yet wouldn't say anything much about somebody that spends 3 or 4 hours watching tv.

At least you're engaging in both communication and interactivity online. It was the same story with Videogames in many cases - people saying it was terrible to be playing games for more then an hour at a time, rots the brain, all that nonsense, yet would effortlessly sit down for hours in front of the tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Dutchology

We're all learning here... About all sorts of stuffs...

/me goes off to find something educative to put truth to that statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Do people care about their post count?

*thinks back to when Ecksor decided to mess with people's post count and the whining that resulted from certain quarters*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

nesf wrote:

Couldn't give a fuck.

nesf wrote:

*thinks back to when Ecksor decided to mess with people's post count and the whining that resulted from certain quarters*
    Oh God, that whole period of 'wtf, my e-penis fell off' had me in stitches.

Rhyme wrote:
    Oh God, that whole period of 'wtf, my e-penis fell off' had me in stitches.

Fun times, had to be one of the fastest growing threads. Enjoy the chaos all over again! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah, that was a great day!

1, 000 OP? I can't remember that far back. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Ruu wrote:
    Fun times, had to be one of the fastest growing threads. Enjoy the chaos all over again! :D

I guess that proves postcounts matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Ruu wrote:

Oh emm gee, ell oh ell. (+1)

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I remember my 1000th post. I posted here and was banned from AH for a week. A lesson was learnt that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I've noticed one or two posters with very high post counts who constantly show up on a thread and type "great thread:D" and thats all.
    No other contribution to the thread.

To get a high post count would be easy if you went to different forums and posted "great thread" in one or two of the treads on each forum each day/night.

So typing "great thread" into 2 threads in 10 forums = 20 posts a day/night
    thats 140 per week
    560 a month
    In two months you would reach over 1000 posts.
    Thats 6720 a year.

High post counts mean nothing imo.

Congratulations anyway.:)

Oh...great thread.

It wouldn't be long before the mods saw that and dealt with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

thrill wrote:
    I've noticed one or two posters with very high post counts who constantly show up on a thread and type "great thread:D" and thats all.
    No other contribution to the thread.

To get a high post count would be easy if you went to different forums and posted "great thread" in one or two of the treads on each forum each day/night.

So typing "great thread" into 2 threads in 10 forums = 20 posts a day/night
    thats 140 per week
    560 a month
    In two months you would reach over 1000 posts.
    Thats 6720 a year.

High post counts mean nothing imo.

Congratulations anyway.:)

Oh...great thread.
    How do you think Tar.Aldarion managed it?Not through informative posts that contributed to the thread overall anyway, I'll tell you that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

humanji wrote:
    do any of you care about your post count?
    nope

postcount++

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Can someone explain the little stars under peoples names then?

Some people over 1000 posts have 4 reds, some have 4 blue/greys and some have 3 blue/grey stars.

The people with red stars are subscribers (pay for it and other features), the post count is irrelevant for that. The stars represent the different user groups, admins, mods, etc. Click here for more info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement