Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building block shed next to boundary walls

Options
  • 01-02-2007 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm planning on building a block shed that will have boundary wall on three sided.
    Shed will be about 15 sq. M so within PP exemptions.

How should the walls be covered that are next to the boundary wall, do you just plaster the top part of the wall that extends above the boundary wall? Or should use some sort of flashing to stop water running between walls?

Thanks
    Pan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Who owns the existing walls? If they are not yours have you got permission from the owner to build on them? How do you intend to plaster the new walls on your neighbours side? What about gutters and downpipes - are they entirely on your own side?

Is the shed to be located to the rear of the house? Have you checked the planning conditions re height and walls/roof finish and residue open space?

There. That will keep you occupied for a wee while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

Hi Muffler,
    Good questions!!
    I'll try to answer most of them.

I'm planning not to build on the existing boundary wall but to put my wall beside them. Still have to speak to neighbour about this, it's all very early stage at the moment. But I shouldn't need PP (I think! correct me if I'm wrong)

Planning to put flat roof with slope into my garden, therefore only gutter and down pipes on my side only.

Garden is 45 sq m, shed will be 15 sq m, this leave a residue space of 30 sq. m
    In Dublin city council, the regs say you must have 25 sq m residue space. So I meet that requirement.

The regs also say stucture should be no more than 4 m for apex roof and I think 3m for flat roof. I'm planning roof to be about 2.2m.

Not sure about wall/roof finish, plaster on front wall. Do these require PP ??

So what ya think? Any other concerns I should be aware of?

thanks
    pan

Link to planning guide leaflet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

pan wrote:
    Hi Muffler,
    Good questions!!
    I'll try to answer most of them.

I'm planning not to build on the existing boundary wall but to put my wall beside them. Still have to speak to neighbour about this, it's all very early stage at the moment. But I shouldn't need PP (I think! correct me if I'm wrong)

Planning to put flat roof with slope into my garden, therefore only gutter and down pipes on my side only.

Garden is 45 sq m, shed will be 15 sq m, this leave a residue space of 30 sq. m
    In Dublin city council, the regs say you must have 25 sq m residue space. So I meet that requirement.

The regs also say stucture should be no more than 4 m for apex roof and I think 3m for flat roof. I'm planning roof to be about 2.2m.

Not sure about wall/roof finish, plaster on front wall. Do these require PP ??

So what ya think? Any other concerns I should be aware of?

thanks
    pan

Link to planning guide leaflet

yes, you need to make sure you have no drain gutters over the boundary wall or hanging into your neighbours garden, how you finish the wall above the boundary is between you and the particular neighbour and also you must agree who would be responible if the wall was to collapse due to lack of proper foundations etc, as you cannot guarentee what construction method was used on the existing boundary wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

pan, I think you have most things covered - at least you were aware of the open space requirement which a lot of people tend to miss. Plastered walls would be fine.

The only thing you need to get sorted is the neighbour. I recall a thread here a few months ago where the guy built an extension to the rear of his semi d and he built either up tight to or on the boundary wall. Bottom line was that the neighbour would not then allow him to plaster the extension wall on their side. He appeared to have taken everything for granted as his neighbour didnt object to his planning application at the time but she did prevent him from finishing the wall. Cant recall how it ended up.

Anyway you probably dont need me to tell you this but do talk to the neighbour about your proposal including painting afterwards

Advertisement