Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Site Critique

Options
  • 01-02-2007 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭

I saw the other guy had one and seems like a good idea as this is where people probably would have a good idea about websites.
    Anyways if anyone has a chance could they have a look at http://www.ratemypub.ie and let me know what ye think?
    I could do with a few ideas (Engineers lack imagination!)
    Thanks
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

not a fan of the green tbh. the basic layout isn't too bad, but you would benefit from a bit of web2.0 CSS type stuff. i say that because that's what the site seems to be aiming for (from where i stand anyway)... the site's back-end obviously works a charm, but like you hinted at, engineers use the left side of their brain, not the right :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭randombar

not a fan of the green tbh. the basic layout isn't too bad, but you would benefit from a bit of web2.0 CSS type stuff. i say that because that's what the site seems to be aiming for (from where i stand anyway)... the site's back-end obviously works a charm, but like you hinted at, engineers use the left side of their brain, not the right :p

Haha too true, ya have had a few comments on the green, someone's working on changing the colour scheme of the text etc

web2.0 CSS type stuff? what's that about then? Sorry all the web design I know is self taught I'm sure there are large gaps in what I know!

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Not a fan of the green either. Think you could do with a touch of style to it alright.

I had a poke around though and it seems like a very good site. Something I might actually reference if I were looking for a pub to goto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

take a look around here for some design inspiration:

http://www.fontshop.com/fontfeed/archives/web-20-logos.cfm

all very 'web 2.0' which is basically, colourful and clean, good luck with the site, nice idea.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The home/find pub 'text' in the green part of the banner is wonky!
    Whats 'Longnitude' (coincidentally the 1st google result for this is by the OP asking a Q on boards!)?
    I added some details for a pub and then edited the map for it. This brought me to the rate page and now I can't get back to finish editing the pubs details!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

functionally its pretty nice ... I quite like it :)

Add in Pool tables to the pub features set :D

Comments as the others have said ... go with web 2.0 look and feel .. it does feel like it has way too much green ... and while green is the "cliched" irish thing so to speak ... how many actual irish people .. love a completely green website ?

Front page map could do with improving ... looks a bit like something from paint ...

Drop the font sizes a bit ...

Increase padding a bit ...

Go with some background shading for the bubbles ... instead of the outlines ...

I'm personally not a fan of the ... scrolling text ... (no doubt some people like it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I think its a good idea, but I have one issue when you rate a pub and you try to click back on your browser window. an alert keeps popping up to advise your info will be added in 24 hours, only a small thing, but I did want to get back to the page i was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭randombar

Thanks for the feedback lads very helpful:

Can anyone help me with more web 2.0? Thanks heggie for the link reckon our logo is 2.0 now just to make the rest of it, maybe examples of what I should do and so on? I lack any imagination (and ability to spell!!)

As for the edit pub redirection, not sure what to do about that one? Maybe make it clear that you're submitting everything when clicking submit?

Anyways thanks for all ye're help. I'd welcome any other suggestions and what not. I'm getting used to criticisms eventually.

Thanks
    Gary

Advertisement