Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anybody in the wedding car business?

Options
  • 01-02-2007 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about importing a classic car from the States in the near future and several people have said that when I get it, I should hire it out for weddings. Tbh, I wouldn't mind making a quick buck to help pay for the car, but I don't think it would be as easy as they think. For instance - how long would a booking be? You'd probably be talking about 5 hours with pictures and everything. Put in some driving time to and from the job and you've lost a whole day. Would you need a hackney license? How much would insurance be? How much could you even expect to get from a job? Then there's always the chance it will break down.

"Easy money"? I don't think so........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Freinds of mine near Limerick do it. Huge commitment and not enough to retire on! Typically for Elaine it's a full days work (strictly one job per day), Hackney Insurance and all sorts of other stuff. Thats without worry of keeping ancient cars on the go :eek:

http://www.heritageweddingcars.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I wouldn't recommend it tbh, I maintain and have maintained old limos for a number of different people over the years and any of them that are still at it are trying to get out of it and the ones that were in it nearly went broke. If the car isn't NCT tested, and this includes classic and vintage cars by the way as they are effectively taxi's, the Gardai can stop you and order the occupants out of the car. Also worth considering the fact that if the car breaks down, which it will, your liable for the costs incurred by the people that hired you, i.e. replacement limo at short notice and anything else the happy couple might throw at you. I for one, who owns a fleet of the things wouldn't bother unless it was for free for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

How much could you even expect to get from a job?

I believe its about €400.

But judging by the other replies may not be worth it, unless perhaps you do it on a large scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

jimogr wrote:
    I believe its about €400.

But judging by the other replies may not be worth it, unless perhaps you do it on a large scale.

Yeah, 400 - 500 seems to the going rate for a wedding car.

OP, you never know - there may be wedding car companies out there who would like another car on their books / for their brochures, and would rent the car from you for the day? May be worth asking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Thanks for the replies.
    eoin_s wrote:
    there may be wedding car companies out there who would like another car on their books / for their brochures, and would rent the car from you for the day?

Sounds like an easier way of doing it alright, but wouldn't you still have to pay insurance for hiring it out? You'd also be looking at a much smaller cut in return for all the car maintainance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like an easier way of doing it alright, but wouldn't you still have to pay insurance for hiring it out? You'd also be looking at a much smaller cut in return for all the car maintainance.

I have no idea, it was off the top of my head! Still, no harm in asking if they have a open insurance policy. It would certainly be a smaller cut, but the lowered hassle could be worth it.

If you do need an NCT, then that could prevent problems - I would guess that an American classic car may have problems with the emissions.

Advertisement