Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreambox : Noob question

• 01-02-2007 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Sorry to bother you with my noob question, but I heard about Dreambox and I am not sure what can I get out of it.
    About 3 years ago I have seen a such box, dont remember the name, was running on Linux with program decrypters, with online updates etc...Is it the same kind of box I am talking about ?

If so, what kind of hardware would you recommend me to receive other european channels available from Astra/HotBird ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yeah, its a Dreambox you want.

I've DM7020 with 160GB hard drive for recording, live pause etc which is nice.
    If you want to get stuff from multiple sats then a motor and dish would be recommended.
    I've a solid 80cm dish with a Motek 2100 motor and all works perfectly and get all I need ;)

If you dont want a motor (which is a bit more difficult to setup than a fixed position dish) then get a reasonably big dish and mount a couple of lnb's for 13°E and 19.2°E which is where most of the online updates are for (do not ask about that here..google Dreambox sites for more info).
    I don't think you will be able to fit 28.2°E (Sky UK) on the same dish as Astra and Hotbird without the likes of a Wave frontier dish (am sure Watty,Byte or Zaphod and others or others can correct me on that ).

Anyhow, if you have an interest in Satellite then the Dreambox is the way to go.
    Just one thing, there is no HD receiver out yet that has these kind of updates..(to my knowledge).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Butterbox

Start out with a Dreambox 500S. It does everything the more expensive dreamboxes do except record to Hard drive, but if you network to a PC you can record to that. Despite what others might say, an official SKY card WILL update in a dreambox. <snip>

Snipped text is covered under 'Illegal firmware downloads' in the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Great stuffs, thanks guys.
    Is there a shop in Dublin to get a Dreambox ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

http://www.satworldonline.com/ in Terenure do them - be warned, they add about 30 euro for in shop prices to the web ones.

You can get them on ebay for cheaper though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Hum Amstrad does still exists, I thought they were long gone lol
    Thanks for the link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 shertheman

Supercell wrote: »
    Yeah, its a Dreambox you want.

I've DM7020 with 160GB hard drive for recording, live pause etc which is nice.
    If you want to get stuff from multiple sats then a motor and dish would be recommended.
    I've a solid 80cm dish with a Motek 2100 motor and all works perfectly and get all I need ;)

If you dont want a motor (which is a bit more difficult to setup than a fixed position dish) then get a reasonably big dish and mount a couple of lnb's for 13°E and 19.2°E which is where most of the online updates are for (do not ask about that here..google Dreambox sites for more info).
    I don't think you will be able to fit 28.2°E (Sky UK) on the same dish as Astra and Hotbird without the likes of a Wave frontier dish (am sure Watty,Byte or Zaphod and others or others can correct me on that ).

Anyhow, if you have an interest in Satellite then the Dreambox is the way to go.
    Just one thing, there is no HD receiver out yet that has these kind of updates..(to my knowledge).
    hi
    i'm a first class no-good to satellite but have kids which has prompted me in getting an inetbox 300s which i was told supports the same software as the dreambox 500s, please can you help me in installing and receiving cartoon channels for the kids?
    Regards
    Sherman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Most of the good cartoon channels are encrypted and require a viewing card to watch them. There are some FTA ones on astra 28east. CBBC I think and maybe another? www.satellites.co.uk has a lot of good guides in how to setup dreamboxes and load images and plugins.

Advertisement