Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 4 PC? (Rumour)

Options
  • 01-02-2007 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭

I'm still not sure if this is genuine or not, seen no official confirmations just the usual internet drama and rumours, but some are saying Resi Evil 4 PC is available now in Taiwan and Hong Kong, a few people claim they have it now (shipped to them, they had pre-orders).

Example:
    http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=931851

If this isn't all BS, then from what I can gather it's a port of the PS2 version, sub-par graphics (worse than PS2 supposedly, and no shadows??) and no mouse support (keyboard only, or use a gamepad). The port was done by a company called SourceNext.

Not sure if there's any truth to all this so, you know, grain of salt and all that. I know a few people around here were waiting for the PC port and were hoping it would have improved graphics, so I hope for their sake this isn't true!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

It's on wikipedia here, thought I dunno how trustworthy that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

971562ic4.th.jpgbio4hz6.th.jpgbio1sb6.th.jpgbio5zw5.th.jpg

Ewwww

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, Play have it being released at the end of March, and it'd make sense that it be released in Asia first.

As for the Ps2 port, would you really be surprised? haven't all the Res games on PC been (usual bad) ports? I'd of expected updated graphics etc if the game was released closer to the originals release date. It's most likely just to try and cash in, rather than to spread the game to more users (but then again, I've always been a cynical fecker).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Ewwww
    Now we know why it took so long, they've turned it into a 3rd person version of 'Soldier of Fortune'. Ugh.

No mouse support negates any interest i might have had for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In fairness, playing it with a mouse would make the game a piece of cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

it is out very soon. game.net has the official date there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Cancelled my preorder just to be on the safe side...
    my god that looks terrible!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have no recollection of the game looking anywhere near that dodgy. Again, Id say more of a rushed cash in than any meanigful attempt at a decent port. PC is a niche market, and Capcom probably just weren't bothered releasing a good port.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Capcom weren't doing the port, SourceNext are.

And you're right, it definitely didn't look that dodgy before :) Resi4 is looovely on the GC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Jesus that looks shocking. But i suppose if you take any 2 year old game with SD graphics (on ps2 and gc) and bump it up to HD for pc without much optimisation, its going to look like hammered sh!t regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

0ubliette wrote:
    Jesus that looks shocking. But i suppose if you take any 2 year old game with SD graphics (on ps2 and gc) and bump it up to HD for pc without much optimisation, its going to look like hammered sh!t regardless.

The problem with that port is that all the gorgeous atmospheric lighting, shadows and weather effects have been completely removed. It looks absolutely disgraceful now, worse than most Dreamcast games. They also used the low polygonal PS2 version :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ahh the joys of the money grabbing port.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Aren't ubisoft making a proper version with mouse support?

http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/Info.aspx?pId=4395

No release date yet.

Long as there's no starforce I'd hit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Just hide in a wardrobe instead.
    Far more immersivitivity and megahurts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Sure if you want mouse support download the mouse/gamepad emulator driver (cant remember the proper name). Basically it lets games detect your mouse as a gamepad :cool: If anyones interested I'll dig up a link later.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

A friend of mine got this, and it looks terrible, though I didnt realise just how terrible till i just saw those comparrison screenshots. He also tried it with the mouse support patch thing, and it would work for him.#

I can't, for the life of me, understand why Capcom allowed such an unbelieavably bad port, of what many consider, to be the best Resident Evil game. What the funk were they thinking? I hope to god that Ubisoft do release a proper version, with at least half decent graphics and proper mouse support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

the system requirements RE4 says alot not exactly cutting edge :rolleyes:

Supported OS: Windows® 2000/XP (only)
    Processor: 1 GHz Pentium® III or AMD Athlon™ (or better)
    RAM: 256 MB
    Video Card: 128 MB DirectX® 9.0c-compliant AGP or PCI Express graphics card (256 or higher for High Graphics Detail support) (see supported list*)
    Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compliant (or better)
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c or higher (included on disc)
    CD-ROM: 12x or faster CD-ROM
    Hard Drive Space: 1.2 GB minimum
    Peripherals Supported: Gamepad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Might not be cutting edge, but still twice what it should be.
    A sloppy port indeed.

is the screen shot on top the pc version... in those comparison shots I mean

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

real shame, i was hoping this one gonna be great coz Resident Evil 4 played on a gamecube or Wii (tested both) played on my HDTV using a component cable looks awfull, full of jaggies and the textures looked all blured.... yet if I connect it up to a crappy 10 year old 50hz crt tv it looks great, i was really hoping this pc version would work out so that I cud play Resident Evil 4 with good graphics and no jaggies all over the place

evad_lhorg wrote:
    is the screen shot on top the pc version... in those comparison shots I mean

Sadly, yes.

ughhh thats nasty. ill hug my gamecube version instead:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I downloaded it.

It's terrible, really, really terrible. DO NOT waste your money on this.

Why in the name of God would they drop all lighting & shading? It's just, just........baffling. It honestly looks like House of the Dead 1 or something.

AEF2F592.jpg

Honestly, why did they even bother with the port at all, if this is what they're gonna churn out? It's a brown pixillated mess for the most part.

Worst port ever? Maybe not, but it's definitely a contender.

Advertisement