Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed Exam! Can handing in overdue assignments Help?

Options
  • 01-02-2007 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im a 3d year history student. I failed one of the 3 modules, and my overall grade is only a bare pass. I have some overdue assignments from last semester. Is there any way handing these in could alter my fairly woeful grade?
    Clutching at straws here I know...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Can't help you here... just wanted to add another related question. Maybe you know the answer. Do third year arts students have to pass each individual module? The details on repeating them are sketchy. If you have to pass each individual module to pass the year, and fail one at christmas and are not allowed to repeat then there'd be no point in going into college anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

so you didn't hand in some assignments and failed the module overall, and now want to know if handing in the assignments might get you a pass?

Surely dont call me Shirley the lecturer had a cut off point/marking scheme for the assignments which would make handing them in irrelevant?

Unless you have a good reason :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You'd have to convince the lecturer to correct it. And that doesn;t strike me as lkely, it;s not his/her problem anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Anton17 wrote:
    Hi,
    Im a 3d year history student. I failed one of the 3 modules, and my overall grade is only a bare pass. I have some overdue assignments from last semester. Is there any way handing these in could alter my fairly woeful grade?
    Clutching at straws here I know...

Im not sure if this applies to 3rd years but in 1st year the procedure is:
    up to one week late: 10% penalty
    2 weeks late : 20% penalty
    over 2 weeks:: 100% penalty

so if you are that way I presume you can't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Not sure about modularised stuff but 3rd years last year weren't allowed hand up first semster assignments in the second semester.

Unless you have an unbelievably sympathetic tutor/lecturer and an extremely valid excuse for not handing it in, you're probably not going to get anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Can't help you here... just wanted to add another related question. Maybe you know the answer. Do third year arts students have to pass each individual module? The details on repeating them are sketchy. If you have to pass each individual module to pass the year, and fail one at christmas and are not allowed to repeat then there'd be no point in going into college anymore.

The general rule in third, old style Arts, I believe, is that you just have to pass everything overall and not individually, but within certain School regulations there may be rules like "X assessment is so important that a pass must be achieved in this particular part individually as well as a pass overall" but if that's the case it should be specified clearly, most likely in Marks and Standards, and would be the exception rather than the rule in Arts anway. It's more common in the medical science courses I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

If your result has already gone to the exam board then it's too late as your mark will have been finalised.

Lecturers tend to be fairly unsympathetic to people who hand in work late, especially in the next semester unless there is a valid reason (med certs submitted etc).

Vainglory wrote:
    The general rule in third, old style Arts, I believe, is that you just have to pass everything overall and not individually, but within certain School regulations there may be rules like "X assessment is so important that a pass must be achieved in this particular part individually as well as a pass overall" but if that's the case it should be specified clearly, most likely in Marks and Standards, and would be the exception rather than the rule in Arts anway. It's more common in the medical science courses I think.

Right. I'm pretty sure I failed one of my music modules. There was no exam, just a 5000 word essay. Got it handed in but it was late (-10%) and was fairly crap. Actually does anybody know if a 10% deduction means a 60% essay has 10% taken off and becomes 50%? Or does it mean a 60% essay has 10% of 60% taken off and it becomes 54%?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Right. I'm pretty sure I failed one of my music modules. There was no exam, just a 5000 word essay. Got it handed in but it was late (-10%) and was fairly crap. Actually does anybody know if a 10% deduction means a 60% essay has 10% taken off and becomes 50%? Or does it mean a 60% essay has 10% of 60% taken off and it becomes 54%?

Not sure but I would say its a proper 10% and not 10 percent of your grade because that would usually be under 10% unless you score 100%

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

when you forget/don't bother to hand in an assignment there are others who did. why do you think they should be relatively badly off as a result?

• Advertisement

It's a straight 10% - so 60% becomes 50%. If you score 50% or above in the essay you'd pass, surely?

Vainglory wrote:
    If you score 50% or above in the essay you'd pass, surely?

Yeah but trust me, I didn't.

Yeah but trust me, I didn't.

Pretty sure that this won't mean you fail overall - just that you have to bring up your average with your other modules. Music dept should be able to tell you for sure though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Off-topic but Welcome Back JHJ

Red Alert wrote:
    Off-topic but Welcome Back JHJ

You can thank the History dept, I swore I wouldn't be back but their total ineptitude and obtusity regarding our results meant that if I didn't have a good old fashioned rant there was a fairly decent chance of me spontaneously combusting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

OP - unless you have pretty serious extenuating circumstances, I'd be worried. Talk to the department/programme office and see what the story is. Best of luck.

RwC, you could still pull a pretty good grade if you do really well this semester, couldn't you?

Blush_01 wrote:
    RwC, you could still pull a pretty good grade if you do really well this semester, couldn't you?

I reckon I'm getting quite good grades in my other subject, and in music I only took 2 courses last semester with 4 this semester. I don't think I did as badly in my second music module as the one I reckon I failed.

I wasn't worried about getting a bad grade, just having to repeat and pay a fortune to do it... or some gigantic screw up where the college took bits of the traditional rules and bits of the modularisation rules leaving me having to pass every course individually with no chance to repeat individual courses.

Advertisement