Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My wireless network has disappaeraed and been replaced

• 01-02-2007 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭

Ok, I had a secure wireless network set up at home via my ESAT modem and a 3com router. Now it has vanished and defaulted back to an open network call '3com'. I can still connect to this open network. My friend setup the secured the network up for me but I can't ask him becasue he's away. I hate having an open network + it keeps losing the signal between the laptops and the network especially when the 2 of us (wife and I) are logged on simutaneously. I would configure it myself but am pretty hopeless with networks. Can anyone tell me how the other one disappeared? Or how to get it back if it is still there? Whenever i've tried to set up a secured network at home before I've had problems, might have no choice this time though!

Thanks for help

steve

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

The router settings are generally stored in flash memory, and are usually reset by a recessed pin on the back - the sort you need a pen to reach. Its also possible to reset it from the configuration menu on the router itsself.

The only other reason I could think of is if you had a power surge or something similar.

A third could be that it got hacked and reset, but this is very unlikely imo.

Make sure its your router that you are picking up and not someone elses.

What you need to do to resecure it is the following.

Hit the Windows Key and R and type cmd<enter> in the run window. This will bring up a Command Prompt.

Type ipconfig<enter> and make a note of the IP address shown on the line marked 'Default Gateway' This is the address of the router. It will probably be something like 192.168.0.x where x is 1-255

Now look up your routers manual or google the router to find the admin userid and password. Its usually something like admin & password.

Launch a Web Browser session and type the IP address into the Address Bar.

This should bring up the Routers Login page. Type in the userid and password and away you go.

You should be able to google the rest of the set up info you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

The router settings are generally stored in flash memory, and are usually reset by a recessed pin on the back - the sort you need a pen to reach. Its also possible to reset it from the configuration menu on the router itsself.

The only other reason I could think of is if you had a power surge or something similar.

A third could be that it got hacked and reset, but this is very unlikely imo.

Make sure its your router that you are picking up and not someone elses.

What you need to do to resecure it is the following.

Hit the Windows Key and R and type cmd<enter> in the run window. This will bring up a Command Prompt.

Type ipconfig<enter> and make a note of the IP address shown on the line marked 'Default Gateway' This is the address of the router. It will probably be something like 192.168.0.x where x is 1-255

Now look up your routers manual or google the router to find the admin userid and password. Its usually something like admin & password.

Launch a Web Browser session and type the IP address into the Address Bar.

This should bring up the Routers Login page. Type in the userid and password and away you go.

You should be able to google the rest of the set up info you need.

Thanks man.
    Will do that tomorrow. It might have been a power surge because the wife tells me that the main pc shut down with modem and router a few days back after which this problem started. But I'm pretty sure I can follow your instructions, I got half way there before and remember not being able to get in but I'm pretty sure the password is 1234 or something similar. Thanks again.

steve

Advertisement