Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History and modern articles for games industry

Options
  • 01-02-2007 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

hi all,

i am looking to get some information on the history of the video games industry and some more up to date articles on video games in todays market, anyone know any sources for this kind of info???

cheers,

rockshandy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

There was a really good documentary about a month ago. I think it was called Game On? It was a bit patchy at parts and totally forgot about some huge things like the N64 though. It gave good insight into the beginnings of the industry so if that's the kind of thing you're looking for it may be worth your while to look out for it. It was on CNBC so look out for a rerun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Check out Joystick Nation by JC Hertz (I think) for a pretty decent readon the history on the industry. It's a bit dated now, covering up until the PS2 hit, I believe.

www.gamasutra.com is good for the academic and business side of videogames too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

aye, i'm reading it right now.
    It's really good, indept, without being stuff or pretentious about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Rockshandy

Check out Joystick Nation by JC Hertz (I think) for a pretty decent readon the history on the industry. It's a bit dated now, covering up until the PS2 hit, I believe.

www.gamasutra.com is good for the academic and business side of videogames too.

cheers bren!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Haha, Shanno? Long time no see!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The Business and Culture of Digital Games, Gamework and Gameplay, by Aphra Kerr might be worth a look (Although to my shame along with other books it sits waiting to be read, I’m too busy reading newspapers and as much of the internet as possible)...

http://www.sagepub.co.uk/booksProdDesc.nav?prodId=Book226513

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Go to your local library; they should have something ;)
    I have a list of good books somewhere; will post them up prob later tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Rockshandy

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Go to your local library; they should have something ;)
    I have a list of good books somewhere; will post them up prob later tonight.

cheers dude

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

0761536434.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

That's what you want, starts right at the beginning, ends just after the PS1 release, and the most comprehensive/authoritative still about the industry's beginnings (including arcade).

You ain't a gamer's gamer until it sits on your shelf.

After that one, Aphra Kerr's book for the intervening and current period and a less-documentary-type read, more of a mature/researched insight into the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Although they're definitely useful, I found Joystick Nation to be a bit uh... biblical ("And Nolan Bushnell didst create Atari, which begat Pole Position, which begat...") and I found Aphra Kerr's book to be a little too clinical and scholastic. I'd recommend Steven Poole's Trigger Happy for the breezy, entertaining editorial.

For the more up-to-date stuff, check out First Person: New Media as Story, Performance and Game. You could also do worse than to check out some of Ste Curran's books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Just glancing over my bookshelf and realised I'd left out Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life by Chris Kohler. Goes into more detail about the history of the Japanese games industry than anything previously mentioned.

Advertisement