Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I dont get withdrawel when I quit?

• 01-02-2007 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭

Saw julep was the mod of this forum and thought I would pop in.

Looking through the threads I see the same things over and over, the sheer amount of phsyical and mental symptoms that people are getting when they quit.

Thing is...

I have been smoking since I was 16, went quite quickly to around 20 a day. Smoked for 4 years. Quit at 20.

Nothing happened. I was unfit and I found myself getting out of breath so I stopped. I never craved a cigarette even on the day I decided to quit, or had any need to find a way to get past it.

I am back smoking now, but I like to smoke and thats a life choice that is mine to make. I'm not here to flame the people who have quit and having seen the depths of addictive to nicotine of my roommates(1 ex smoker, 2 smokers), so I would see no reason to justify insulting somebody who quit.

My question is, has anybody else been able to just turn around, quit and think nothing of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭bugs90

Similar enough I suppose!
    I smoked for about 8 years and then decided to give up for fitness reasons.
    Cut down to just when drinking and then when the ban came in I stopped totally. Seemed easy, just like for you.
    I enjoyed smoking and after about a year I started again but far less than before.
    Kinda funny though that we both found it 'easy' to quit and yet we both are back smoking again eh?:rolleyes:
    ...maybe the giving up wasn't so easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

One could argue that the reason you started smoking again wasn't out of choice, but out of your unwillingness to admit to your addiction.

As for the lack of withdrawal, this artice, while theoretical, may explain things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I gave up with very little affect other than fidgeting for something to do with my hands in the pub
    krazy_8s wrote:
    I am back smoking now, but I like to smoke and thats a life choice that is mine to make.
    I think julep could be right about facing up. I could not imagine myself smoking again, certainly not in this day and age with the restrictions in place, I cannot see any advantage in smoking. I cannot see any enjoyment other than the relief of the withdrawl symptoms, and I do not consider getting rid of ill feelings you shouldnt have to cope with as enjoyable.

I fully understand why people take other recreational drugs, but tobacco really puzzles me.

What made you decide to take it up again?
    What advantages do you see being a smoker rather than nonsmoker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_and_I

I find it strange that if you can quit so easily that you would choose to smoke, I would get cigars because that is for taste but the cigs are just horrible tasting. I had the same experience, just decided to give up after smoking 15 a day for 4 years and I only ever feel the need for one if I have been drinking and somebody smokes in front of me which isnt such a problem seeing as you cant smoke in the pub anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

is it not true that we dont choose to smoke, we just ever smoke because we are addicted to nicoteine

• Advertisement
Advertisement