Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista only recognises my dvd burner as a normal dvd drive...

• 01-02-2007 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭

I have a pci sata/ide raid controller with the via vt6421l chipset which i use to connect my pioneer ide dvd burner to my dell pc( which is sata only) . Anyways i have installed vista home premium and installed the latest drivers for this card (5.40c). The dvd drive IS recognised in my computer in vista ( it can read dvd's fine) but vista media center and movie maker dont recognise it as a dvd burner. I havent tried any dvd burning s/w yet. Just wondering does anyone know what could be the problem. It works fine in xp.

edit: its a ide pioneer 111-d

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Looks like driver support.
    But I am no expert.
    Have the manufacturer of the drive released any updates for Vista?
    Although it surprises me that any would be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

tried the latest drivers for the pci card but made no difference, im just after remembering, i tried the vista beta last month, and the drive WAS recognised properly the first time i installed vista then, but a few days later it stopped being recognised fully even though nothing had changed and i was in the same situation as i am in now. I was meant to post here about it but uninstalled vista soon after and never got around to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well I see you tried over at the CD Freaks forums but no luck so far.

My only other suggestion would be try the Buffalo 8.29 firmware which is the latest I think for the 111D.

My BenQ 1650 is working fine, could be a controller issue as certain IDE controllers not always supported ATAPI optical drives and perhaps VIA''s driver does not in Vista. I would suggest asking over at the Via Arena forums to see if they can confirm it supports optical drives under Vista.

Only other alternatives are as you mentioned a SATA adapter or another IDE controller, a SATA adapter should do the trick.

seems like its only vista's own programs that are the problem ( mce, movie maker etc). Nero and others work fine luckliy, and thanks to nero, theres a burn cd/dvd plugin in the mce program library so it does everything i need ( and very handy for ppl in my house who wouldnt have a clue how to burn a cd etc as its very easy).

thanks for those tv tuner registry pictures 8t8, i installed a univsersal dvb program and vista mce now thinks my skystar hd dvbs is a proper tuner and it tunes in a lof of the fta channels on 28 east. (the universal dvb program must map the dvbs transponders to dvb-t but i cant find any file which contains these dvbs transponders - itv2,3 and bbc2,3,4 and film four dont appear so i want to add those transponders, but cant find anything about it atm).

that nero mce plugin seems too good to be true! from within vista mce itself, i converted and burned a 2hr xvid film to dvd within 1hr. This is on a 400 euro dell outlet e6300 core 2 duo, convertx2dvd or whatever its called is probably just as fast but the fact that it can be done so easily from within the media center itself is great. I thought video must be missing or something as that seemed too quick but from what i have checked it seems to be all there and quality is great on a normal tv. Just a matter of right clicking the xvid you want to convert, select burn, select video dvd, give a title to the tv if u want to change it and away it goes, come back in an hour and your video dvd will be ejected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Nero does the conversion with it's own plugin not bad, I was never too keen on Nero's picture quality though I suppose it depends on the source.

Advertisement