Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy Saver bulbs for timed lights ?

Options
  • 01-02-2007 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭

We have a set of lights that are on a timer - when people come in the main door of the block.. I bought an energy saver replacement fully intent on replacing them all. However it turned out not to be suitable. Does anyone know what type of energy savers are suitable for timed lights of this type?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Why was the new bulb unsuitable? Did it not fit or is it how it doesn't come on?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No it was the right size and worked perfectly but the packaging said it was unsuitable. I assumed any energy saver bulb would be fine. No explanation as to why though.
    The bulb didn't go to waste as I have used it to replace a domestic light instead. But I still want to replace the public lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

is_that_so wrote:
    No it was the right size and worked perfectly but the packaging said it was unsuitable. I assumed any energy saver bulb would be fine. No explanation as to why though.
    The bulb didn't go to waste as I have used it to replace a domestic light instead. But I still want to replace the public lights.

I've seen the "Unsuitable for timers" statement too but never found an explanation ..... :(

I fitted a 100watt(equivalent) energy saver bulb to a timer circuit and it's been working fine for years ...... it's never been replaced so I would try it and see ......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I cant see how a timer should be of consequence. Its simply a switch and functions just like a regular wall switch. I can understand why they are unsuitable for dimmer switches, but not timers. I use energy saver bulbs on time switches without problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's good enough for me.

Thanks guys. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I agree with Crosstownk and hobie. There is no reason why it shouldn't work so long as it fits the holder correctly. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Those energy saving bulbs take a minute or two to reach full light, so obviously if the timer was set shorter than this they wouldn't work properly.

I suspect also that they are not designed for continuous cycling on and off. If they are used in this way I doubt if they would they will last anything like the design life: 6000 - 10,000 hours and they are expensive so there is a trade-off

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭riccol1966

even if you only get 3000 hours out of them them that would still save a lot of money over the standard bulbs. Some lights specify on the box both the expected number of hours and the number of times they can be switched on/off. If you can set the timer to be on for 5-10 minutes rather than 1-2 mins then you will reduce the switching times and prolong the bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I would imagine that is it more a casr of the manufacturers covered their ass than the bulb not working.
    It will probably work as well as expected, but intended life may be reduced. It is still a better option than traditional bulbs.

Advertisement