Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home needed for dog

Options
  • 01-02-2007 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi there,
    I'm trying to find a home for my brother's dog. My brother rescued him from a Vets as a pup and tried to train him as a gundog but is wasn't successful. Now my brother has moved home and is near a busy main road so can't keep the dog.

Bill is a spaniel pointer cross. He's about 18 months old. He's friendly but independent. He has unlimited energy, loves water and is a great swimmer.

Any questions just ask. Please see photo attached.

cheers gs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

he's a v. handsome dog, hope he finds a home.
    i'd take him but 2 dogs is enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

He could try fencing off the area using a doubel gate system or a Cill Dara run. If he really doesn't want the dog get him to log on to irishanimals.ie and petsireland with the photo and info about the dog (vaccinations etc) that way you will reach more people. Springers can be hard to rehome because they have so much energy eventhough they are a lovely dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 corribwalker

Hi goreysquirrel.
    What, if any, type of Training Methods did your brother try in a
    Training Programme for Bill? Did he try Voice Commands, Hand Signals,
    Whistle? This type of dog is INTELLIGENT enough to absorb early
    Training but if your brother expected a Fully Trained Dog after a
    few sessions, it is possible he 'lost his cool' with him and gave up.
    Has he ANY OBEDIENCE at all?
    Where are you located and where might Bill be viewed?
    Thank you.icon11.gif
    corribwalker
    Hi there,
    I'm trying to find a home for my brother's dog. My brother rescued him from a Vets as a pup and tried to train him as a gundog but is wasn't successful. Now my brother has moved home and is near a busy main road so can't keep the dog.

Bill is a spaniel pointer cross. He's about 18 months old. He's friendly but independent. He has unlimited energy, loves water and is a great swimmer.

Any questions just ask. Please see photo attached.

cheers gs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Living near a main road is no reason to get rid of a dog, we live on a main road too and have 2 dogs but they have a secure run. (chain link and posts) and several neighbours have dogs too. the one's who don't keep them in a secure area are the ones who end up with dead dogs though! all he has to do is make sure the garden is securely fenced or build/buy a run. my aunt has a rescued springer spaniel and he is a lovely, friendly dog and is also very energetic, she usually takes him to the beach for his excersize and he loves to swim as well. they seem to be very intelligent dogs, ''Charlie'' learnt to pick his bowl up in his mouth to ''beg'' for food to be put in it lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I live on a road I have 10 dogs - I really hate the way people get rid of dogs when they fail to perform (thats how your post sounds to me - tried to traing him - did not work - no time - main road)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I don't like to make assumptions but that's how it seems to me, also. That's actually why my aunt's springer was neglected, because he was gun shy so he wasn't worthy of being looked after anymore. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Do you guys really think that having a go at this dog's owner is going to be any help to the dog?
    For whatever reason a new home is wanted for this dog and time has been taken to find one.Criticising just puts people off looking for help when they (right or wrong) feel they need it.
    And who suffers in the end?
    Not the people,they just turn off the computer.
    And then what happens to the dogs.
    Pounds if they're lucky.
    At least the death is quick and humane there.
    Unlike some that I've seen who were dumped.
    RTAs aren't always immediately fatal and starvation isn't a fast easy death either.
    Okay so some of you feel moral outrage at stories like this one but PLEASE THINK before serving out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Also at least this poster is honest enough to give a reason. The dog is lucky! I know many so called hunters who do the unspeakable if their dog is not working. Please remember that if you dont find a home, bring the dog to a shelter, not a pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

eh the thread is almost a year old people!

Advertisement