Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil light flickering - ford focus

Options
  • 01-02-2007 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Driving home this evening, just after pulling off from cold the red oil light started flickering. I pulled into the first garage and checked the level, it was on the lower end (but within the min and max) so I topped it up.

The rest of the way home the light flickered now and then (usually when slowing down), never stayed on would just flash for less than a second.

The car is running fine, and was serviced less than 1000 miles ago.

Any ideas what would be causing this? Or what I should do.

Thanks,

Jim :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I wouldn't drive it again until you get a mechanic to get to the bottom of it. It could be a number of things including a problem with the oil pump, incorrect filter or oil fitted, pressure relief valve faulty, all of which are potentially instantaneously lethal for your engine. Even the flicker for less than a second is causing damage.

Less serious causes could include a faulty oil pressure sensor.

If it had dropped from Max to min on the dipstick in 1000 miles, was it using oil beforehand? What mileage is on the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

It wasn't at the max level after the service - just above min so didn't really use any oil.

There is 120k on the clock.

Thanks for the info Avns1s - Doesn't look good :( Will call a mechanic tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Keep the engine RPM low until you get an oil pressure test done. It could be something as simple as a faulty sensor, but you have no way of knowing for sure. The fact that it continues to flicker after topping up means that you have to treat it as a worst case scenario.

Has the engine been serviced regularly? It could be that some sludge/dirt is blocking the gauze in the oil pick up. Get it checked ASAP and drive easy (or not at all) in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You're more than welcome Jimogr.

Older fords had a issue with a sticking pressure relief valve. Happened me on a Fiesta but it's along time ago. easily fixed if this is the prob.

It's likely to be something reasonably easily fixed so long as you're not hearing funny noises from the engine!!! But seriously, get the mechanic to come and look or get a tow to the garage. A few seconds without oil pressure and you're gonna be down the cost of a new engine.

Best of luck with it and please post back and let us know how you get on.

thanks again - I'll post the outcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I dont suppose you are mistaking the oil light for the one for the brake fluid ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

had a similar problem with my 106, it was the brake fluid

hmmm, not sure - the light looks like this, so I presumed oil:
    http://www.haynes.co.uk/Press/Releases_contents/060320_WarningLightsPR_5.tif

Have it in the garage at the moment so should know soon enough

Turns out it was a broken wire :)

To make sure oil pressure was tested and was good.

Thanks to everyone for their info :)

Advertisement