Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Debut album?

• 01-02-2007 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Saw this thread over in Alternative and thought i'd start one here, as my ''best debut'' is not alt.

This may have done before but i haven't checked so sorry in advance if it has..

And my best debut is of course...

Rage Against the Machine - RATM.

Just, awesome! :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Foo Fighters-Foo Fighters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

i second the RATM vote, and add Cynic - Focus, Mr Bungle - Mr Bungle, Alice in Chains - Facelift, Decapitated - Winds of Creation, Gordian Knot - Gordian Knot, GnR - Appetite For Destruction, Necrophagist - Onset of Putrefaction...thats all i can think of now

i'm taking debut as first full length, otherwise i'd have Tools Opiate EP on the list too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

Alucard II wrote:
    GnR - Welcome to the Jungle

That's one of your personal favourites, is it? Yeah - I love that album. Pity is doesn't exist.

I'd go with Appetite for Destruction & RATM. Pearl Jam's "Ten" was good too, for a debut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Korn - Korn. The best debut album I've ever heard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

Futureman wrote:
    That's one of your personal favourites, is it? Yeah - I love that album. Pity is doesn't exist.

I'd go with Appetite for Destruction & RATM. Pearl Jam's "Ten" was good too, for a debut.
    hahaha, i ****in OWNED myself there. 3 cheers for lapse of concentration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 PlatonicDisease

I'm not gonna mention alt-rock, cos I don't like that style at all.
    To tell the truth, I really admire a bevy of outstanding debut records by loads of rock-metal bands I have heard over the years.

I gotta say that I consider the eponymous Van Halen debut album by Van Halen to be arguably my all-time favourite debut ever.

s/t debut Black Sabbath is another immortal masterpiece and a personal love of mine.

Then DM and Thrash are replete with awesome debuts. Morbid Angel's 'Altars of Madness', Suffocation's first full-length 'Effigy of the Forgotten', Malevolent Creation's 'The Ten Commandments', Exodus's 'Bonded by Blood', and I can reel off several more of what I will always consider to be breathtaking debut albums that I still love and enjoy no less than when I first heard them through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I'd like to add...

Showbiz - Muse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Appetite ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

You can close the thread now ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Appetite ftw.

me too

• Advertisement

Am i missing something.. Appetite For Destruction was their debut album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Ten is a pretty amazing album. Also Is this It? as a great debut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pffft! Led Zep 1!! Rulz!!!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

LundiMardi wrote:
    Am i missing something.. Appetite For Destruction was their debut album.

yeah, sorry that was my bad (my initial unedited post said that it wasn't their debut).

They had an EP out called "Live like a suicide" before Appetite, and I seem to remember that the material on Lies was recorded (or some of it was anyway) before the material on AFD. (having done my research, the ep material was re-released on lies, that what threw me:))

I was 14 when it came out and I remember I couldn't believe at the time that a band could come up with material like Sweet Child, Paradise City and Welcome to the jungle on their first album, that must have just stuck in my mind, sorry :o

mike65 wrote:
    Pffft! Led Zep 1!! Rulz!!!

Mike.
    touché man....

I hadn't even thunk about that!!!! I concur. Most awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Lykathea Aflane - Elvenfris

Best death metal album ever imo, and its also their debut, simply unbelievable stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

Led Zeppelin - 1
    Metallica - Kill 'Em All
    Deicide - Deicide
    Mastodon - Remission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Couldn't say the best but I'd throw a few out there:

Dio - Holy Diver
    Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    Ozzy - Blizzard Of Oz
    Queensrÿche - The Warning (unless you count the Queensrÿche EP)
    Metal Church - Metal Church
    Halford - Resurrection
    Glenn Tipton - Baptism of Fire
    Savatage - Sirens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Id have to second Korn by Korn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
    Gojira - Terra Incognita
    Pavor - A Pale Debilitating Autumn
    Metallica - Kill 'em All
    Death Angel - The Ultra Violence
    In Flames - Lunar Strain

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of them right now. Need sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

There's never going to be a best, there's no such thing, and nobody here will ever really agree on a single 'Best debut' anywhere close to unanimously. This just seems like an excersise in pointlessness.

By the way...

Opeth - Orchid
    Emperor - In The Nightside Eclypse
    Cynic - Focus

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

What about

Machine Head - Burn My Eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 JmcG

I second Opeth - Orchid, Mr Bungle - Mr Bungle, and Machine Head - Burn my Eyes - three deadly debuts.

Also Devolved (Australian metal) have an excellent debut album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The Doors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

There's never going to be a best, there's no such thing, and nobody here will ever really agree on a single 'Best debut' anywhere close to unanimously. This just seems like an excersise in pointlessness....

Because there no definition of best. At least not for critially aclaimed etc. However, test selling list of Albums in the US...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_in_the_United_States

Guess you can pick your fav debuts in there. Mind you theres some pop horrors in there so if you are squeamish don't look. In no order but some of the best selling Rock/Metal ones are...

Boston's Boston, 17 times platinum
    Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction 15 times platinum
    Van Halen Van Halen 10 times platnium
    Led Zeppelin's Led Zeppelin, 10 times platinum
    Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory 10 times platinum
    Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced,
    Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

The Stone Roses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Gotta Be Appitite For Destruction for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Appetite For Destruction & Definately Maybe were both great rock n' roll debut albums and really sent out a message from the start. Kill 'Em All is my 2nd favourite Metallica album. It and RATM pretty much announced Thrash Metal and Rap - Metal respectively to the world. I love Led Zeppelin 1 - the upgrade in sound from what the Yardbirds were doing just a couple of years before is amazing - but as its basically a blues cover album, I can't specify it as the best. ...Are You Experienced is awesome - one great song after another.

If I had to choose one - AFD. Not as original as some others, and as I was only 1 I don't really understand the context and importance of it and coming at that time. So why do I like it? The music that's why. Paradise City, Rocket Queen, Sweet Child O' Mine, Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Nightrain, Out Ta Get Me, its one classic rock track after another.

It's perfect as it is, but imagine they had included some of the tracks they had already written at that point (You Could Be Mine, Don't Cry, Bad Obsession, Back Off Bitch, November Rain, Yesterdays). Ok, some of those songs wouldn't have fitted well, but some of them would. Anyway great album and one of those that ya just have to listen to from start to finish now and again. Now and again I'll play one of the tracks and I'll automatically have to listen to the next one and then the next, like an addiction. By the way, I see a lot of other people posting AFD, so you might be interested in this - a recent Slash interview about how each song was written:

http://www.rosesofvelvet.com/forum/index.php?topic=3916.0

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Dj Stiggie wrote:
    Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory
    I haven't laughed so hard in ages, thanks for that :D

As for me, a lot of what I'd have rated as best debuts has been listed already: Definitely Maybe, Korn, Rage, Burn My Eyes, Kill 'Em All, Effigy of the Forgotten, Led Zep's 1 etc...

Advertisement