Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to get a buildings plans from the Land Registry

Options
  • 01-02-2007 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Howdy, im looking to get the plans of a building that is owned by the Office of Public Works. Its an old manor house thats being converted into a heritage centre building if that makes a difference. Can I get these off the land registry by paying a small fee or is this possible at all? Would the Opw give a copy to me?
    Its the original plans i want! (not the conversion plans)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

land registery would just have the outline of the land on an OS map i would think, you could try the local planning desk as if it was converted it would of required planning permission therefore plans would of having to be lodged, if it didnt then you could politely ask the architects who carried out the work as they would have the existing plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You should be able to get these by means of the freedom of information act.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

First of all Land Registry deal with mapping - not plans.

F.O.I. would not be an option either in the circumstances.

I think your request is unusual as you are looking for plans of someone else's building. Why dont you write to the OPW as they are the owners and ultimately will have the final say as to who may be entitled to a plan of their building.

Why would 'FOI not be an option'?

The OP is in fact looking for plans for his own building. He does in fact own the building (at least insofar as he is paid for it).

From what I can see, the OP is entitled to that plan (if it exists in the OPW) as of right.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Why would 'FOI not be an option'?

The OP is in fact looking for plans for his own building. He does in fact own the building (at least insofar as he is paid for it).

From what I can see, the OP is entitled to that plan (if it exists in the OPW) as of right.

The OP is looking for plans of a building that is owned by the OPW. As Muffler said, the Land Registry deal with mapping, not plans.

OP, contact the OPW and they should be able to advise you.

• Advertisement

The OP is in fact looking for plans for his own building.
    Where did he say he owned it?

In fact he said it was owned by the OPW

Edit - you also stated he has paid for it - are you privy to information that is not posted in this thread

The state owns the land on behalf of the Irish people. The OPW is charged with its stewardship.

The state owns the land on behalf of the Irish people. The OPW is charged with its stewardship.

Less of the pedantry here. The OP should contact the OPW, not the people.

Are you trying to take the piss here with your irrational comments. Im still waiting to see how you know the OP paid for and owns this building

No, you are the one who is 'taking the piss' as you put it.

You seem to think that this is a regular piece of private property and that the OP has no right to know anything about it other than what the stewards want to tell him. This is not true.

It is not pedantry. The distinction between private ownership and state ownership is clearly significant.

• Advertisement

I have had enough of this. The OP's question has already been answered and now you are bickering about private ownership and state ownership. This is off topic and unless you have something useful to add to the OP's original question (in which case you can PM either Muffler or myself), this thread is locked.

No, you are the one who is 'taking the piss' as you put it.

You seem to think that this is a regular piece of private property and that the OP has no right to know anything about it other than what the stewards want to tell him. This is not true.

It is not pedantry. The distinction between private ownership and state ownership is clearly significant.
    I asked you to explain two statements you made and you refused. You then proceeded to waffle about things that had nothing to do with the OP's request for a plan of a building. Smashey locked this thread and quite rightly so but Im giving you a yellow card.

If you post off topic or twist a users comments again it will be a red card the next time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement