Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi a3 V Focus Zetec

Options
  • 01-02-2007 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

Finally have the cash together to buy a relativel new car. Its a toss up between a 05 Focus Zetec or 05 A3. Will probably be keeping the motor for around 3 years so just looking for peoples opinions. To be honest i think they both look smashing but whats the story with reliability and all. Not that car savy just know how to drive em.

Both more or less have the same spec 1.6L, airbage, electrics, cd player, air conditioning etc etc.

All opinions appreciated, i don't want to waist €22k

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I've owned both cars.... currently I have a 05 A3 1.6FSI, soon to be traded for a GTI.

First of all, you ain't comparing like with like. Assuming both are '05, there will be approx 5-7 grand of a price difference. You'll do well to get a 05 A3 for 22K. They average about 25K, at least for the more desirable Ambition model. The smallest engine is a 1.6 (its a poor unit - the rarer FSI is the one to get) whereas the Focus comes in 1.4 (also not so good - The 1.6 in the Focus is much better).

The Audi is marketed as a premium hatch - some will say "a posh golf", whereas the Focus is more mainstream. The interior in the A3 is a class above - very plush, very high quality. Aircon is not standard on the A3 - its a 2 grand (!!) optional extra when new, but many 2nd hand A3's have it - its full electronic climate control.

Previously, I had a 02 Focus 1.6 Zetec - great car, lovely to drive, in fact, probably a better drive than the Audi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I have an 05 A3, 1.6 Amition and love it!

You would do well to get one in a dealers for €22k, but on a private sale you should get one for that money.

For an 05 Focus, you'd have plenty of change from the budget you've given yourself.

I'll be selling my car soon, would probably prefer a private sale. It may be of interest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If buying a Focus Zetec make sure it is the 1.6 litre. The 1.4 litre is seriously underpowered. The Focus also handles better than the A3 if your into that sort of thing.

The A3 will cost more and generally will be less equipped than the Focus. Make sure it is the 1.6 FSi that you are looking at as the old 1.6 litre 8 valve unit is ancient and should seriously have no place in a so called "premium" brand car these days.

Just to sum up the Focus is a more of a driver's car than the A3 and will cost less but the A3's cabin is a nicer place to be so it really depends which you value more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Cheers guys, think i'll go for the black focus Zetec, opinions seem to be its a better drive, interior matters but hey after driving a 97 323 for 5 years the focus interior has to be heaven

Advertisement