Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS down again...

Options
  • 01-02-2007 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭

Is DNS down for anyone else again?

I'm here in Coolock and can only access websites via IP address.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

BT? up and down for me a couple of times today :/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep. BT... it's completely out.... pain in the arse... I have lots of work I need to do as well.

Anyone know the IP address for opendns.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Mine seems to be back now..
    but just in case..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ah.. thanks for that... they do they job just fine.

Good thing I knew the IP address for boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

BT was gone for me too. Glad it wasn't just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Set up on your router the IP addresses of BT's 2 DNS servers and also the addresses of Eircom's ones too as back up. I do that so I never notice any problems with BT's servers.

How do I work this OpenDNS thing? I went into my router settings and LAN settings. Primary DNS Server 208.67.222.222 and Secondary 208.67.220.220. Is that it? I've restarted the computer and the router but I visit this page:
    http://welcome.opendns.com/

and get "Oops.. You aren't using OpenDNS yet."

I haven't a clue what this does but I presume it'll help me as my BT connection has been up and down for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

go to start > run and type in cmd to bring up a dos window and type in ipconfig /all and see what is listed for your dns servers. if you are using only router served dns then you should have just the same ip address as your default gateway. if you have actual dns servers listed then you may have a manual dns entry in your network connection properties. if so, remove these then in the dos window type ipconfig /release and then when it's finished after a couple of seconds type ipconfig /renew and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

BT DNS up and down loads lately Portmarnock . Only came back up after 10 last night.

Nice of BT to charge for Dial up when you pay for broadband and it doesn,t work!

Cheers vibe.
    "Your Internet is safer, faster, and smarter
    because you're using OpenDNS."

My connection kept going (once every 15-30 minutes) for the last few weeks. It would take about a minute to come back. Either that or I'd just turn off and on the router. I didn't know what the problem was. Today it has been fine but it was fine at this time yesterday so I won't hold my breath.

Has this anything to do with DNS??

• Advertisement
Advertisement