Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV Broken by child

Options
  • 01-02-2007 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Bought a philips 26" LCD tv b4 X-mas ( 780 Euros). Couple of weeks ago our friend's 1.5 year old kid hit the screen with a plastic toy hammer.

There is no obvious physical damage but when you turn the tele on, portion of the picture is broken. Showed it to a guy in Blanch and he says the display is gone and throw it in the bin.
    :mad:
    Any suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

This may be morally wrong , but hey !!!!!!!!

Pulled a similiar stunt for someone else just after xmas , so here goes....
    Don't know if your set is the same one in Argos but if it is buy the set again only to return the set back to Argos (only this time replaced with the dud tv)with your 16 day no quibble money back guarantee :)

I know i know , i will probably rot in hell................

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I'd buy a new tv, and send the receipt to the parents of the child with a note saying 'Cash or cheque. Knew you'd understand - thanks a million!'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

khalid100 wrote:
    Bought a philips 26" LCD tv b4 X-mas ( 780 Euros). Couple of weeks ago our friend's 1.5 year old kid hit the screen with a plastic toy hammer.

There is no obvious physical damage but when you turn the tele on, portion of the picture is broken. Showed it to a guy in Blanch and he says the display is gone and throw it in the bin.
    :mad:
    Any suggestions!
    warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 khalid100

Silverfish wrote:
    I'd buy a new tv, and send the receipt to the parents of the child with a note saying 'Cash or cheque. Knew you'd understand - thanks a million!'
    They've already offered and will get something as well. We've rejected the offer as kids are kids and none of their fault.

But hey i'd posted the thing to see if there is somebody who fixes the displays...

chopster wrote:
    This may be morally wrong , but hey !!!!!!!!

Pulled a similiar stunt for someone else just after xmas , so here goes....
    Don't know if your set is the same one in Argos but if it is buy the set again only to return the set back to Argos (only this time replaced with the dud tv)with your 16 day no quibble money back guarantee :)

I know i know , i will probably rot in hell................

Shhhhhhhhhhh....

• Advertisement

county wrote:
    warranty?
    it only covers faulty things or parts, unless i'd bought the seperate extended warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

would house insurance cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Slaphead07 wrote:
    would house insurance cover it?
    If he has Accidental Cover then he could make a claim. Depending on his policy there may be an excess of 125-250+ which would mean he wouldn't get the full amount that the TV is worth.

Perhaps this might be a better way of accepting the kid's parents offer. Tell them that rather than them forking out full price for a new TV, you are claiming on your insurance and they might be happy to cover the excess amount you would lose out on. You get your new TV and the other parents feel better that it didn't cost them 780 to replace what little Johnny/Jane accidentally broke.

viking wrote:
    If he has Accidental Cover then he could make a claim. Depending on his policy there may be an excess of 125-250+ which would mean he wouldn't get the full amount that the TV is worth.

Perhaps this might be a better way of accepting the kid's parents offer. Tell them that rather than them forking out full price for a new TV, you are claiming on your insurance and they might be happy to cover the excess amount you would lose out on. You get your new TV and the other parents feel better that it didn't cost them 780 to replace what little Johnny/Jane accidentally broke.
    Nopes, we are living in a reneted house and accidental no accidental cover.
    Hey guys, thanx for giving your opinions/adivices but the main question is still there, does someone repair displays on a reasonable rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,279 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

khalid100 wrote:
    Nopes, we are living in a reneted house and accidental no accidental cover.
    Hey guys, thanx for giving your opinions/adivices but the main question is still there, does someone repair displays on a reasonable rate?

have you asked philips if it's possible to get the panel changed and an estimate of the cost. Apart from through philips i can't imagine anyone repairing/replacing a 26" inch lcd panel, and if the pictures only half displaying it will need a new panel i think.

btw that kid should be banned from watching a tv till s/he's 18

• Advertisement

eolhc wrote:
    have you asked philips if it's possible to get the panel changed and an estimate of the cost. Apart from through philips i can't imagine anyone repairing/replacing a 26" inch lcd panel, and if the pictures only half displaying it will need a new panel i think.

btw that kid should be banned from watching a tv till s/he's 18
    they say to bring the tele to cork. thats where they have the repair center.
    It will cost to transport the tele and still not sure if that could be repaired.
    thanx anyway.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Chopsters idea sounds good. then You will obviously have two of them so you could sell it, maybe even to the parents of the kid who broke it! Everyone wins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

khalid100 wrote:
    Showed it to a guy in Blanch and he says the display is gone and throw it in the bin.
    Gahh, I hate people who think like this. It's a new TV, only a couple of months old, the only thing wrong with it is probably just the screen is damaged. OK, that's probably the most expensive part of it, but surely it's not going to cost €780 to replace just the screen?

At the very least, if you end up buying another set try and give it back to Philips so there's at least a chance it could be refurbished or parts can be re-used. Recycling is crap ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Gahh, I hate people who think like this. It's a new TV, only a couple of months old, the only thing wrong with it is probably just the screen is damaged. OK, that's probably the most expensive part of it, but surely it's not going to cost €780 to replace just the screen?........

Yes it probably will. It will in all likelyhood cost more than a new set to repair. The part might be €400 and the labour another €400.

People seem to forget that most electronic consumer goods are built in low wage economies like China but have to be repaired in a high wage economy.

ie. item built at 2nd/3rd world wage rates but must be repaired at 1st world wage rates.

This is why we see that electronic gear is much cheaper relatively speaking nowadays but we hear the oft repeated, "Sure it'd be cheaper to just buy a new one"

As for the OP's situation. I would dread to be put in that situation. I guess it would depend on what type of people the parents of the kid were. ie. If I know they are attentive parents who don't lnormally et the kid run wild and it was just a momentary lapse of attention on their part that meant the kid had a chance to give the telly a whack, then I would grit my teeth mentally but smile and tell them I wouldn't accept their offer to pay for the TV. If on the other hand it was a case of the kid always running wild around my house and them just telling little johnny," I've told you 10 times johnny not to hit the TV with a hammer", then in that case I would smile and definately take the money. :D

This is one of the main reasons I'll be upgrading my current CRT TV for a Glass fronted plasma, although in my case its because the sharp pointy claws of two West highland terriers would make short work of a 'Soft' LCD screen as soon as an animal appeared on screen :D

Advertisement