Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Games on demand

Options
  • 02-02-2007 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Anyone checked out any of these sites that offer older games for flat monthly fees. I had a look and didn't see any obvious threads about it but it seems to me to be an evolution on the traditional methods of grabbing games.

I was over at a friends house and he as subscribed to a service where you pay €10 odd a month and can play a bunch of games from a big list of 1-5 year old titles during your sub. You can play any amount of them from the list for that price. He said he just wanted to play 1 or 2 off the list and 10 was cheap for the price. I actually agree, €10 wouldn't buy 1 older release where in a month you could play 10 easily for that.

The games download partially( like 300MB) before you can play, and the rest downloads while you play. He is canceling his sub after the 1st month but it has me interested, he added me as a user and I just played Beyond good and Evil on it.

I am not going to name the service in this post in case it's seen as pimping of some sort, but have any of you used any of these services yet? To me its pretty amazing value for money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭crybaby

No not yet but wouldnt mind giving it a shot whats the name of the service?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gametap is the main one available here.
    Unfortunately though its US only. Would love to dig into a few of the games on there - new Sam & Max especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You can get Sam and Max without gametap by going directly to Telltale Games site.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

The one I am playing on is http://cvg.metaboli.co.uk/. It seems to be by a French crowd, offered by CVG Magazine.

Been playing Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow on it all day, after that I am going for the 2nd Prince of Persia which I missed.

From the site :
    Metaboli helps to bring software pirates back to a state of legal consumption by offering them undeniable advantages over existing Peer to Peer systems: facility of use, high speed downloads, multiplayer compatible games, automatic patching and security. Such advantages increase subscriber satisfaction, loyalty and finally the annual consumption of games, something that publishers want to encourage.

Advertisement