Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats gonna happen?

Options
  • 02-02-2007 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Tonight I pulled in to the hard shoulder on the n3 where the limit is 100km/h to try something ( my friend was recording my speedometer with my camera phone ) anyway, was just testing the 0-60mph on my car.. so pulled out and started revving, got to 60mph in 2nd gear and only went slightly over the limit maybe, 102km/h or smething.. then slowed back to about 80-90km/h and and put it into proper gear 4th/5th.. anyway the Gardai traffic corps jeep pulled me in not long after and start saying "what the hell do you think you were doing", etc etc, I said I just pulled in to wipe the condensation off my windscreen but dont think he bought it... checked my discs (everything was in date and fine) then looked at my license and wrote something in his notepad. Handed me back my license and walked back to his own car. Jus wondering what laws exactly did I break?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Driving without due care and attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

What ? ?

I was paying attention to the road, its a straight stretch of road like I wasnt swerving or anything, complete control of the car just like when driving normally , I didnt know there was a law against going over 6000 rpm

and the care thing, it would actually be more dangerous if I accelerated slowly up to the limit imo because the cars behind me would have had to brake to slow down, or do some dangerous overtaking onto oncoming traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

And you probably fit the description of a boy racer so your fair game for the cops I'm afraid. Be prepared to be harassed and intimidated, most of us who are honest about it have been there buddy.:rolleyes: :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

60mph in second? Do you not like your car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Im just wondering whats gonna happen, like a fine, court case, ? didnt really feel like running after the gardai and asking him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Like he didn't know EXACTLY what you were doing.. These guys have seen it all.

But really, that's not very sensible driving, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭maidhc

I'd put my money on nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭DMC2005

Lorax wrote:
    I pulled in to the hard shoulder

I'm pretty sure your not supposed to stop in the hard shoulder except in the case of accident or breakdown, and I'm pretty sure that you are only allowed drive in the shoulder in the event of making temporary use of it to allow a car to overtake you.

If it was a motorway you would be facing a fine and penalty points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Lol, :D
    Sure the cops had nothing better to do. This seemingly new thing of them taking a note of a persons licence and not telling the person what they plan to do is a joke. How does this benefit anyone except lazy guards that are too busy catching minor traffic crap instead of catching joyriders and other such scum. You`ll probably get a sneaky summons or something in a couple months, actually this is Ireland, in about 8months.

You wernt doing any harm, if this is taken further i suggest you regard the whole incident in a comical context for your own sanity.

What car have you anyway, and what was your time? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

You should have asked te guards before they left.Its difficult to tell you as if it was dangerous o carless driving they would have arrested you or notified you about it.I think you will just getting a speeding fine or something small.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

I'm pretty sure your not supposed to stop in the hard shoulder except in the case of accident or breakdown, and I'm pretty sure that you are only allowed drive in the shoulder in the event of making temporary use of it to allow a car to overtake you.
    Well what about people that want to avoid an accident, that use the hard shoulder to wipe severe condensation so as to see out their windscreen. Would you deem this as important a reason to use the hard shoulder? And yes i know that was an excuse the OP made up but it still could be a legitimate and responsible use of the hard shoulder in a genuine case of condensation problems. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭DMC2005

Nuttzy wrote:
    Well what about people that want to avoid an accident, that use the hard shoulder to wipe severe condensation so as to see out their windscreen. Would you deem this as important a reason to use the hard shoulder? And yes i know that was an excuse the OP made up but it still could be a legitimate and responsible use of the hard shoulder in a genuine case of condensation problems. :rolleyes:

Well firstly if condensation was such a problem he would be guilty of "using a vehicle from which driver has inadequate visibility of road and traffic" - This will get him a penelty point and fine.

Secondly I don't believe the relevent legislation allows for many excuses in this area. For example a number of people have been done for talking on their phones in the hard shoulder of motorways.

Stopping in the hard shoulder is generally regarded as dangerous anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

Don't ya think you should get a bit more experience under your belt before trying to time your 0 - 60's on a public road?

According to your post in this thread you are only driving for 8 months :confused:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055049143

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The hard shoulder is only to be used for emergencies such as avoiding a colision or if you are broken down. Pulling in to the hard shoulder to answer your mobile phone is now an offence. They simply could have been further back the road and watched what you were attempting to do. You may have gotten away with just a ticking off if you didn't try the condensation excuse. You could possibly be issued with a penalty point or two in the post, only time will tell really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Oh for the love of god, he was testing his 0-60 time, I don't think that's dangerous given the stretch of road he was using (N3) which is a National Primary route. He could probably see at least 1 mile ahead of him and I'm sure looked in his rear view mirror/over his shoulder before he pulled out. Can somebody explain to me how that's dangerous? He said he topped out at 103kph which in reality was most likely less that 100kph so was not breaking the speed limit. The OP was probably concentrating on the road ahead of him a lot more that those others dawdling down the road at 80kph playing with their radios.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

If you weren't cautioned under the relevant section of the road traffic act at the scene, you're in the clear.
    Take it as a warning though. National roads are not the place to be performance testing your car. If you really feel you have to prove or improve the manufacturer's figures there are plenty of industrial estates around that are pretty much deserted at night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

so its a feckin offence to talk on yer mobile while drivin, and its also an offence to pull over to the hard shoulder/side of the feckin road to talk on yer mobile, country gets better and better dont it.

as for the OP I doubt you've broken any laws, as what you did would not be considered dangerous by most sane people, however if you managed to let a great big shaggin traficcorp jeep sneak up on you I would be dubious as to whether you checked yer mirrors before pullin out

however if you managed to let a great big shaggin traficcorp jeep sneak up on you I would be dubious as to whether you checked yer mirrors before pullin out
    It could have been going in the opposite direction....???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Don't drop the soap :D

On a serious note to self, never buy car from OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

skibum wrote:
    Don't ya think you should get a bit more experience under your belt before trying to time your 0 - 60's on a public road?

According to your post in this thread you are only driving for 8 months :confused:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055049143

Oh yeah, because it takes great experience to floor it alllll the way to 60 mph. Lol

Op, I'd also have my money on nothing happening. Depends on your attitude towards the guard ... as long as u dont look like a dirtbag and remained polite and apologetic (even if not sincere) id say youll hear nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

yeah soap stings your eyes.
    the mans right they like fast guys like you in prison. on a serious note you will be fine nothing will happen you.

JohnCleary wrote:
    On a serious note to self, never buy car from OP
    The OP may own a Vauxhall Monaro...that'll do 70mph in 1st gear! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

fletch wrote:
    The OP may own a Vauxhall Monaro...that'll do 70mph in 1st gear! :eek:

My boat can do 60MPH, doesn't mean I do it though :D

(Don't think the turbo would last long)

JohnCleary wrote:
    My boat can do 60MPH, doesn't mean I do it though :D

(Don't think the turbo would last long)
    What a stupid argument lol :) A Monaro can do 170mph, I'm not suggesting that either. I'm just saying that 60mph in second gear is very achievable in a lot of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

, it would actually be more dangerous if I accelerated slowly up to the limit imo because the cars behind me would have had to brake to slow down, or do some dangerous overtaking onto oncoming ..

Cutting out into traffic [as the OP admits, above] could be seen as dangerous driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Please Note all the above classes of use Exclude commercial travelling, use for hiring, the letting on hire, the carriage of passengers or goods for hire or reward, racing, pacemaking, use in any contest, reliability or speed trail or use for any purpose in connection with the motor trade.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,341 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

fletch wrote:
    60mph in second gear is very achievable in a lot of cars.

That's exactly when the rev limiter in my dads '82 Opel Kadett Estate (Caravan :D ) 1.3 would kick in using second gear

maidhc wrote:
    I'd put my money on nothing.

If I were a gambling man, I'd put my money on nothing too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:
    If I were a gambling man, I'd put my money on nothing too

It's your best chance of survival in that particular business!

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    It's your best chance of survival in that particular business!

LOL, you got me there, maidhc :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement