Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats gonna happen?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

unkel wrote:
    '82 Opel Kadett Estate (Caravan :D )

Pure old school! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,341 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Very much so, Max_Damage

Jeez I'm getting old :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

unkel wrote:
    Very much so, Max_Damage

Jeez I'm getting old :\

I actually haven't seen a estate version (Kadett D / Astra Mk1) of those since the late 90's! Although I've seen the hatchback version around now and again. 1980's cars kick ass! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

unkel wrote:
    That's exactly when the rev limiter in my dads '82 Opel Kadett Estate (Caravan :D ) 1.3 would kick in using second gear

I doubt very much an 82 kadett has a rev limiter. More like you've reved the balls of it and it can go no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

How old are you? You are driving 8 months on a provisional licence, most likely driving without an experienced driver, and you are doing this cr@p. Hopefully after this episode you will grow up and drive sensibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

fletch wrote:
    It could have been going in the opposite direction....???
    On a dual carriageway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Tails142

If you weren't cautioned under the relevant section of the road traffic act at the scene, you're in the clear.
    Take it as a warning though. National roads are not the place to be performance testing your car. If you really feel you have to prove or improve the manufacturer's figures there are plenty of industrial estates around that are pretty much deserted at night.

Meh, similar thing happened to me; well not the 0-60 thing but...

Got pulled over by a garda on a bike for overtaking a coach that was driving in the hard shoulder, while a car was oncoming, even though the road was very wide, completly straight and I barely put a wheel over the broken white line and the oncoming car was also over towards the hard shoulder side...

Anyway garda asked me to step out and gave me a bit of a lecture, which I just accepted cause I didnt want to piss him off, thought I'd get away with a warning - he asks for ID, I hand him my licence and he wanders off to his bike and asks me to get back into the car, comes back after a couple of minutes and hands me the licence, "Thanks Drive Safely", SWEET I think and carry on merrily.

Week later I get home to find points in my letterbox, lesson of the story, dont bother going to Donegal. I didnt bother contesting them as I wasnt sure if I'd have to go back up to Donegal from Dublin to appear in court, where I'd probably get caught for some other traffic offence so I just paid my 80 quid and took the 2 points. Also I drive around the country, about 150 miles a day so with that mileage, given these are my first points I was bound to get some sooner or later.

Bit of a ramble, but the point I making is expect points! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Tails142 wrote:

Got pulled over by a garda on a bike for overtaking a coach that was driving in the hard shoulder, while a car was oncoming, even though the road was very wide, completly straight and I barely put a wheel over the broken white line and the oncoming car was also over towards the hard shoulder side...

If you were sure you overtook in a safe manner why did you not contest it at the time ? its not deep south where they will take out the nightstick and tell you your rear lights are out ? he may be the Law, does not make him infalible.

And to OP..... silly boy ! 6 months off the road might give you some sense...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Lorax wrote:
    anyway the Gardai traffic corps jeep pulled me in not long after and start saying "what the hell do you think you were doing", etc etc, I said I just pulled in to wipe the condensation off my windscreen but dont think he bought it...
    Were you being honest, or just trying to come up with an excuse that he might buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

fletch wrote:
    It could have been going in the opposite direction....???
    Victor wrote:
    On a dual carriageway?
    Does the OP say he was on the dual carraigeway section? I can't seem to find any reference to it? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

DonJose wrote:
    How old are you? You are driving 8 months on a provisional licence, most likely driving without an experienced driver, and you are doing this cr@p. Hopefully after this episode you will grow up and drive sensibly.
    Where does the OP say he's driving on a provisional licence?

bennyx_o wrote:
    Where does the OP say he's driving on a provisional licence?

See link below. The OP loves to boast about driving unaccompanied, and then offers people advice that they shouldn't worry about breaking the law by driving unaccompanied. This is the same fellow who thinks its a great idea to speed down the N3 and see how fast his 1.4 can go 0-60mph with his "bud" videoing it. All I can say is "Well done Guard."

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52718587&postcount=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

DonJose wrote:
    See link below. The OP loves to boast about driving unaccompanied, and then offers people advice that they shouldn't worry about breaking the law by driving unaccompanied. This is the same fellow who thinks its a great idea to speed down the N3 and see how fast his 1.4 can go 0-60mph with his "bud" videoing it. All I can say is "Well done Guard."

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52718587&postcount=3

I got rid of that car, look at the date on a post where you saw that. Driving a 1.6 Levin now 165bhp 20 valve engine , zippy little car.
    Were you being honest, or just trying to come up with an excuse that he might buy?

NO I wasnt being honest. I just wanted to stop the car somewhere on a 60mph limit so I could do a legal 0-60 run ;) I'll let yas kno if anything comes from this. Thanks for the replies.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lorax wrote:
    I just wanted to stop the car somewhere on a 60mph limit so I could do a legal 0-60 run ;)
    If it was a legal run then why were you stopped?

kbannon wrote:
    If it was a legal run then why were you stopped?

Thats why I posted this thread, just cos Im young and Im male and I drive a fast? car, heres how it went

Gardai: What the hell do you think you were doing

Me: I pulled in to clear the condensation off my windscreen

Gardai: License

Me: Here ya go, (Was a provisional but my mate has a full license so wasnt breaking any laws)

Other Gardai then checked my discs, they were all ok. Writes something down, hands me my license and my friends full license and walks back to his jeep., to eat doughnuts and hassle more young males

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

TBH I really hope the OP gets points for this. The public road is no place to be trying this, your concentration was more than likely on your speedo and mates reactions than the road in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

1) Levin? Fast? roffle :D

2) Don't you know, everyone on boards.ie (except you) are total angels and never break the law. Either that, or they're (we're) all w4nkers. Even if you came on here and posted that you saved a grannies life, you'd still get stick

In the future, don't post anything that even has the slightest posibility of you getting stick, cause you'll get that and a lot more

JohnCleary wrote:
    1) Levin? Fast? roffle :D

2) Don't you know, everyone on boards.ie (except you) are total angels and never break the law. Either that, or they're (we're) all w4nkers. Even if you came on here and posted that you saved a grannies life, you'd still get stick

In the future, don't post anything that even has the slightest posibility of you getting stick, cause you'll get that and a lot more

I'll post what I like when I like, I dont see anything in the charter saying "Follow JohnClearys Posting Guidelines" Do you?

Also what do you drive? If a Levin is so slow like..

[Edit] Its faster than your crappy boat anyway

Lorax wrote:
    I'll post what I like when I like, I dont see anything in the charter saying "Follow JohnClearys Posting Guidelines" Do you?

Also what do you drive? If a Levin is so slow like..

[Edit] Its faster than your crappy boat anyway

Oh don't worry, i'd be glad to take you for a spin on the boat, maybe sell the mad yoke 0-(60 Levin, it might pay for a fill of the fuel tank :D

Oh, and one more thing....
    Lorax wrote:
    I'll post what I like when I like

On boards.ie? Not bloody likely!

(Edited incase Lorax take's it too personally and has to report me awwww)

Should be banned for personal abuse tbh ^

• Advertisement

Lorax wrote:
    Should be banned for personal abuse tbh ^

And you should be banned off the public road for acting the eejit and pulling into a hard shoulder when there was no reason to, what's your point? If you have a problem, PM me.

You were the one that started it with your sarky response. :rolleyes:

</off topic>

Good luck with your situation with the Guards, hope you get the book thrown at you tbh

Thanks, ill let ya know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lorax wrote:
    Thanks, ill let ya know how it goes.
    Lorax - the Garda will probably have noted you licence number and ran a radio eg check via the PULSE controller. If the reg check shows all is in order, on return to the station, he will probably make a note of the incident in PULSE's Category of Intelligence under your registration. When any other Gardaí run a reg check in future, this entry will be available to them.

It's a bit of a viscious circle - the more you are checked, the more likelyhood of further checks.

Drive safely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

You say you were doing a legal 0-60 timed run. Yet your insurance will clearly state it is void if the car is used for time trials, performance testing. So therefore you were driving uninsured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

You say you were doing a legal 0-60 timed run. Yet your insurance will clearly state it is void if the car is used for time trials, performance testing. So therefore you were driving uninsured.

Plus the fact that you are only on the road for 8 months http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52718076&postcount=5
    Levins like civics and a few other models have a boy racer tag on them and tend to attract garda attention more often.

All I can say is I hope you learned your lesson, drive safely. Anyway let us all know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

JohnCleary wrote:
    Don't you know, everyone on boards.ie (except you) are total angels and never break the law

That's funny! Good point... I certainly break the law every now and then!! There is a few Gards on boards, I am sure they might help (one of the more sensible posts might be from one of them) I reckon your ok OP, you are not uninsured, that's just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

so what was the 0-60 time anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Im guessing somewhere in the region of 10 minutes... including the time delay incurred by being pulled over of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Claimed 0-60's vary hugely with Levins, even after the various models are taken into account. Also bhp claims are often optimistic too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement