Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

provisional licence query

Options
  • 02-02-2007 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

Hi, have googled this etc but cannot seem to find an answer.

I have a full licence, my partner is on her 3rd provisional.
    As per the rules she has to be accompanied by a qualified driver at all times.

Ok, that's fine but...

what if we go to a pub, I have a few drinks (say 3 pints for argument) & she drives home with me in the passenger seat.
    Now, she is accompanied by a qualified driver, but one that cannot drive the car due to consumption of alcohol.

If the Gardai stop her and ask to see her licence what is the position when she / I am asked about a full licence.

I cannot find anything to say the qualified driver should be in a fit state to drive the car.

On here it says that:
    Car drivers with a provisional licence must be accompanied at all times by, and under the supervision of, a person with a current full driving licence to drive a car.

I cannot find anything to say you cannot supervise someone after having a few drinks (and yes I do realise that "common sense" may suggest otherwise) but having had the sense to have a designated driver is there any way that she could be charged for driving unaccompanied ?

BTW, this hasn't happened - I'm just throwing this out for discussion.

If anyone has more info on the above position please reply to this post.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

it may have come up here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

I wouldnt worry about it m8, Im on my 1st provisional and drive around all the time unaccompanied, the gardai dont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Lorax wrote:
    I wouldnt worry about it m8, Im on my 1st provisional and drive around all the time unaccompanied, the gardai dont care.

I was asked a few mths back (while driving on my own) whether I was on my 2nd prov (the actual question was "I assume you are on your 2nd prov?" )

When I said I had a full she asked why I had the L-plates so told her it was for the other half.
    strange they didn't ask to see the full licence tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

ive never been asked when i was stopped by the guards either they gen used look at me and say go on ahead there so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ah but I guess your point is, if you are the qualified driver and you are over the limit are you technically in charge of a vehicle whilst intoxicated.....I would say you may well be....

what about then if you didnt know the driver was on a Provisional?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

corktina wrote:
    what about then if you didnt know the driver was on a Provisional?

Ignorance is no defense.

If you were nominated to be the designated driver you would be effectively driving under the influence, if you were not nominated, then the provisional driver is driving unaccompanied.

I know which one I would "confess" up to...

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bluebanana

I think You Only Hav 2 be accompanied By A full licence Driver If ur only on Your 1sr Provish so Shuldn be any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

No, your 3rd provisional is subect to the same restrictions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

bluebanana wrote:
    I think You Only Hav 2 be accompanied By A full licence Driver If ur only on Your 1sr Provish so Shuldn be any problems
    1st - need fully licensed driver with you
    2nd - can drive on your own
    3rd - need fully licensed driver with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

I have a full now but I was stopped on a 3rd prov last year and the Garda wasn't happy about it.. but he just waived me on anyway. The Gardaí are hardly going to be arsed conviscating the car from you. As long as you haven't been speeding, etc, you should be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

The Gardaí are hardly going to be arsed conviscating the car from you. As long as you haven't been speeding, etc, you should be grand.
    You'll get some cocker who does everything by the book, who'll do ya! My neighbour was driving about on her 3rd provisional when she got nicked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I have a full now but I was stopped on a 3rd prov last year and the Garda wasn't happy about it.. but he just waived me on anyway. The Gardaí are hardly going to be arsed conviscating the car from you. As long as you haven't been speeding, etc, you should be grand.
    They don't confiscate the car as much as they'll insist you get someone to drive home with you - no?

Advertisement