Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suggest a good last car to buy for a retiring Dad

Options
  • 02-02-2007 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

As the title states, my pops is thinking about getting rid of his 1993 Renault 19 and treating himself to a last new car.

He has a strong affinity to the Renault brand (his R19 has lasted 14 years after all!!) and he's looking at the Megane as a replacement (I've got one and its a good car). While I'm also a Renault fan, I've suggested that he look around at other options, for instance:

the new Kia C'EED - Great reviews and a 7 year warranty

buying an older "premium" car such as a Merc/Audi/BMW as he's always fancied one of them, the Merc C class in particular and if its 3 - 4 years old, someone else has already taken the depreciation hit:p .

Has anyone else been in this situation or what would you suggest he do. There's a time limit on this as the R19 is due its NCT next month and after passing 3 times to date, it won't make it through this time as an engine mount has gone, the alternator is packing up and its leaking oil badly. Time to put it to sleep unfortunately:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If he's used to a R19 he will find the C Class seats and ride very hard and uncomfortable. I know a few "ould lads" who decided to treat themselves to a small Merc when they retired and were hugely disappointed.

Would something like a Clio Monaco suit him? The current Clio is not far off Megane hatch size and is a newer design.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Your dad needs to have think first to see what he plans to do in his retirement.

Is he just going to drive to the shops and to church (small hatchback), will he go on frequent long trips (comfortable cruiser), or is he going to pick up some sort of hobby/renovation project which involves hauling a lot of gear (estate/van type) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

My pops average trips are no more than 3 - 6 miles. When he travels out to me in Kildare, it takes a lot out of him:rolleyes: He has no hobbies apart from washing and maintaining his car.

His job entails driving new cars off the boats when they come into Dublin and so he's driven practically everything from a micra to a Lexus. He keeps harping on about the Mercs but unfortunately, where he lives on the northside, the scumbags would only love to carve their names into the side of a Merc, thats if they didn't try to steal it first. A more inconspicious car might be a better option.

My mother has a Clio and he feels that its underpowered in 1.2l format

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

My dad has a 14 year old mondeo that he loves, he's gone out and had a look at other cars (a merc fan also :rolleyes: ) but nothing really took his fancy and in the end he got a new engine for the mondeo and got it resprayed.

He's very happy with that, so maybe see if your dad would prefer to hold on to the R19. It sounds like HE really wants to do that anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

"one last new car" - does one's pop think his only got a few years left in himself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

A nice comfortable Honda Legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If he likes maintaining his car would he consider getting a classic? I know a retired fella who bought a Rover P5 when he retired. It keeps him occupied as there is always something to be done with it. He has an everyday workhorse as well. Maybe your da could get a Kia Cee'd as his normal car and a classic to tinker with an enjoy. With classic tax and insurance it would cost SFA to run. If security is a problem in Dublin could you leave it in your place in kildare and make it a joint effort between the two of ye!

Also, it may be jumping the gun to scrap his R19 because of an engine mount, alternator and oil leak. The mount is not an expensive thing to do and the alternator can probably be reconditioned. The oil leak mightn't be a big deal either - it's not the rocker cover gasket by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

empirix wrote:
    "one last new car" - does one's pop think his only got a few years left in himself

Maybe the trend should be, "recommend me a new car".:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Personally I think that C classes and E classes are **** compared to the equivalent BMW. The S class is ok. I would suggest a BMW 5 series for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Last new Car ? - are you writing the old fella off already ?

My dad is 79, looking to sell his coupe for a saloon (complains coz of grandkids) and worries he'll get nothing for it in 3 years time if he decides to change ?

Give the old boy some credit, how bout a classic Merc and new (ish) clio ?
    They'll keep him out of trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Camry Auto with leather (very dadsy but oh so comfy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Maybe the man is retiring and will not have a new-car-buying income in a couple of years.

What's the budget, what are the requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

My grandad's in much the same position,

will be 71 this year and retired in December, he has had a 97 Fiesta for about 4 years and has mainly had vans in the late 70s to late 90s as the granny has always had a car.

She's currently driving a 06 Focus and he thinks it will do for the 2 of them, but in reality, they have their own schedules and 1 car won't work (they tried it last time he retired in 97). Plus after much pushing and persuasion has recently started taking golf lessons and loves it, which means one car definitely won't be enough.

He has money, but is loathe to spend it as he has some sort of attachment to the Fiesta (which is the crappy 1.3 variant).

When I mentioned the S40, he was not so much put off by the price, but saw volvo and thought 2.0 plus = big tax. In reality he could have a nice 1.6 S40 brimmed with leather for travelling the country visiting family (which he's done a lot of since retiring). The Focus has been used for this, but in 1.4 it's manageable of the N + M roads but not overly sprightly on overtaking.

I was even thinking about recommending he buy a Mini Cooper as my granny's brother is selling a 05 one at the moment, but I'm presuming it's one of the few cars that won't take golf clubs

So...no bigger than D segment, no older than 03, preferrably heated leather & Auto and 1.6 max ( I could probably convince 1.8) and with loads of safety gadgets. Max €30k-35k

And yes as said above this post should probably be recommend a new car for me to be chauffeured in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

'00 to '02 Accord might be worth considering too. Bullet proof reliability, available in 1.8 or 2L and plenty of giddy-up if needed but otherwise sedate. Great safety too and if you can find an SE Exec you will get leather and all the buttons and heated seats you could ever want. Should be good value as the new Accord launched in '03. Running costs ok if the revs are kept low (bar road tax on 1.8/2L) and a 12k service interval. 01 EXEC with 51k miles on carzone for 8,950.... It ain't a 5 or an E class but a good alternative to an S40.

TJJP wrote:
    '00 to '02 Accord might be worth considering too. Bullet proof reliability, available in 1.8 or 2L and plenty of giddy-up if needed but otherwise sedate. Great safety too and if you can find an SE Exec you will get leather and all the buttons and heated seats you could ever want. Should be good value as the new Accord launched in '03. Running costs ok if the revs are kept low (bar road tax on 1.8/2L) and a 12k service interval. 01 EXEC with 51k miles on carzone for 8,950.... It ain't a 5 or an E class but a good alternative to an S40.

Sounds good except the engine, he could be convinced I'd say.....It'll take months like the golf thing but mam and my aunts are at him & granny to spend what they have while they still can......

The 5/E are out anyway.....too big, Avensis and Vectra likewise....they just look very long and he won't get over that

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just because he is retiring doesn't mean this will be his last car.

My father went for power steering on his last car because his shoulder is acting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How about a Safrane? Renault and big and comfy.

Mike.

Safrane has way too bulky a body for my guy anyway, might suit OP's dad being a Renault fan already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Sir civic, no?

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

Hondas are the proven most reliable motor there is and no better than the Civic.

The newer model have HISS which means they cant be hot wired.

Honda civic me thinks.

• Advertisement

worded wrote:
    Hondas are the proven most reliable motor there is and no better than the Civic.

The newer model have HISS which means they cant be hot wired.

Honda civic me thinks.

Definitely worth a look, but methinks the options that might need to be added to give it the edge on an S40 might just leave it down....

And in fairness since he's bought brand new cars he always had Toyotas until my aunt married a ford dealer and him and the granny have had 2 Focus and 2 fiestas since. He's only ever had a problem with the 1st focus and it was relatively minor

But since he just bought a new focus last year, a different dealer won't be such a problem

Just had a look

Why does a car that's pitted against the likes of a Corolla come only in 1.8?????
    Not relevant in my case but just for other people who have owned Civics and can see that the hatch is the ugliest thing since the last model 3 dr 323

I know Honda have continuously made it bigger, but all car manufacturers are doing the same, there's a sort of pompousness about it...

The brochure shows cars with velour, yet says leather and heated seats are standard, which I know isn't true cos I've been in one used as a taxi.....might force him to make a trip to our local Honda and Volvo dealers on Friday when I'm around...at least you know what your getting with the volvo before you go to the dealer so you can at least call his or her bluff, but the Honda website is sh1te

cheers!!!!!

Now...to convince him to liquidate the funds to buy it........

It seems the 1.8 Volvo is a FFV so that might be a runner cos he's one of the "as long as the tax man isn't getting it" generation

Advertisement