Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"three" high speed switch on date

Options
  • 02-02-2007 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Had a problem with three yeaterday and after persistence got to talk to someone with tech knowledge - their CS staff haven't a clue about the datacards!

Anyhow once I got talikng I went for getting as much info as possible.

Most transmitters have the work complete. Each transmitter can take thousands of BB users without loss of speed and the switch on date is February 20th - revised last week from February 27th.

85% of the country will be covered - 95% population.

18 days to go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

mcaul wrote:

Each transmitter can take thousands of BB users without loss of speed

i find that very hard to believe!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

mcaul wrote:
    Had a problem with three yeaterday and after persistence got to talk to someone with tech knowledge - their CS staff haven't a clue about the datacards!
    LOL , how about "their CS staff haven't a clue."
    Each transmitter can take thousands of BB users without loss of speed

LOL , how about "their CS staff haven't a clue about the laws of physics ."

Thats a no. Jeez what crap :(

They can take 10's of users without a very noticable loss of speed.

They can take 100's of users albeit with a very noticeable loss of speed.

Once they go into the 100's at all they need a new cell around there .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

i find that very hard to believe!

same here...definitely not that level of users are supported

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Their general customer service staff are not yet fully trained on datacard support. But at least they admit it and were abel to find someone who was able to answer my query.

As for the new hsdpa technology taking thousands of users - it is absolutley correct. The money being pumped into high speed by all wireless operators can only offer a return if the take up is substantial.

Do some research on the new HSDPA transmitters and you may find the users the system can support is substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

They were talking out of their ass. Simple fact is Hspda cant handle those numbers on a single transmitter without the speed being unusable. Its a limited technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

About 1 without loss of speed. Same for ALL systems peak speed unless the "peak" per user is inherently less than overall peak, which I think only applies to DOCSIS 1 or 2 over radio. DOCSIS 3 can "bind" channels to let users get up to 30Mbps. DOCSIS 2.0 can do 8Mbps per user sustained with multiple users.

About 7 at decent speed.

At edge of cell you will not even get "decent" speed and may drop out of coverage if about 10 people are active closer to mast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aersat

Have been using Three`s mobile broadband data card service in Dunshaughlin,County Meath for the past week or so and can report that the speeds have increased by about ten times as of today.
    Averaging between 1.2 and 1.4megs now off a 4,5 bar signal.
    No complaints here.

Aersat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Does anybody know if Three will introduce a usb modem like vodafone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

oleras wrote:
    Does anybody know if Three will introduce a usb modem like vodafone ?

Yes, I was told 10 days ago that yes, they would: 4 days later they not only confirmed it but told me that the firm date for its introduction would be April. They also hinted that they would upgrade me from the datacard (MacBook user).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

aersat wrote:
    Have been using Three`s mobile broadband data card service in Dunshaughlin,County Meath for the past week or so and can report that the speeds have increased by about ten times as of today.
    Averaging between 1.2 and 1.4megs now off a 4,5 bar signal.
    No complaints here.

Aersat.

Yes, there was also a huge improvement on the Malahide-Dundalk corridor (from the train) where as recently as 2 weeks ago the datacard would roam onto Vodafone for the duration. That has now gone. I reported recently elsewhere on this forum how I was able to share the connection from my Macbook on the train and log on with my PSP to my base station at home and watch perfectly acceptable TV!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Speedtest.ie is giving me a reading of 1.2mb download on the three service.

Advertisement