Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For sale: tiny apartment, $335,000

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,786 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Access to Codagan(sp) gardens and tennis courts, a parking space in the area are the only reasons i can think of. not good reasons though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Tauren wrote:
    Access to Codagan(sp) gardens and tennis courts, a parking space in the area are the only reasons i can think of. not good reasons though.

Still wouldnt be a reason for me to buy it even if I had more money than sense.

Dont think it comes with a parking space or else I missed that bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Reminds me of some of the bedsits I've seen around the Dublin city center area about 10 years ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

KTRIC wrote:
    Reminds me of some of the bedsits I've seen around the Dublin city center area about 10 years ago.

Couldnt be on the same scale as this? Could it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

sure sign market is near its peak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Not only that but it's coming at a time when London has to be one of the most expensive and unattractive places to live. Although I haven't seen the rankings recently, it's probably one of the lowest on the quality of life index as well. Not to mention the crucifying Sterling exchange rate, where you lose 40% of the value of your money instantly. Don't misunderstand me, I used to love to visit London, and like many people I have relatives living there, it's just deteriorated so much.

Oracle wrote:
    Not only that but it's coming at a time when London has to be one of the most expensive and unattractive places to live. Although I haven't seen the rankings recently, it's probably one of the lowest on the quality of life index as well. Not to mention the crucifying Sterling exchange rate, where you lose 40% of the value of your money instantly. Don't misunderstand me, I used to love to visit London, and like many people I have relatives living there, it's just deteriorated so much.
    What are you talking about "lose 40% of value?" This is nonsense. This is like saying a car costing 100k in Ireland and 60k in sterling is 40% cheaper in UK. Its the purchasing power of a currency that matters. Comparing one euro to 60p sterling is like comparing apples to oranges. Property in best parts of London are actually being surpassed (in euro terms) by some of prices paid in Dublins most exclusive addresses.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

What are you talking about "lose 40% of value?" This is nonsense. This is like saying a car costing 100k in Ireland and 60k in sterling is 40% cheaper in UK. Its the purchasing power of a currency that matters. Comparing one euro to 60p sterling is like comparing apples to oranges. Property in best parts of London are actually being surpassed (in euro terms) by some of prices paid in Dublins most exclusive addresses.

I know this cracks me up. My mother-in-law can absolutely not understand the concept of exchange rate. She genuinely believes that if she turns €100 into £60 she has lost €40. There is absolutely no way to make her understand that the currencies have different values. Even the very basic, a pint costs €6.00 in Dublin and £4.00 in London is beyond her.

And property in Dublin is generally more expensive than in London. A few years ago a garage in Ranelagh sold at auction for €390k.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

iguana wrote:
    And property in Dublin is generally more expensive than in London. A few years ago a garage in Ranelagh sold at auction for €390k.
    Ah, but it had potential, didn't it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The London property market is a bit deceptive, as its near impossible to buy in the most expensive areas - only lease it!

This bloke http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Cavendish_Grosvenor is one of the richest people in europe - pretty much based on owning central london :)

• Advertisement

The London property market is a bit deceptive, as its near impossible to buy in the most expensive areas - only lease it!

This bloke http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Cavendish_Grosvenor is one of the richest people in europe - pretty much based on owning central london :)
    And due to low stamp duty and other tax advantages of investing in uk property for domestic and foreign investors.

Advertisement