Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing cat to Germany and back

Options
  • 02-02-2007 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm trying to get feedback from people who have had to bring pets abroad and back.

Next September I will have to abroad with college for one year and I will have to (and want to) bring my cat with me.

I found out Lufthansa are agreeable to allowing cats in the cabin in a suitable box but the Irish Government is not agreeable to allowing animals travel into Ireland in this way. They are considered freight and must go through the cargo of plane. I'm not a bit happy with this as anything could happen to my cat and I wouldn't know about it.

Has anyone gone through this recently or ever? How did you get on? How did your pet get on? any tips? Doesn't have to be about Germany of course...:)

cheers mica

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Could you get someone to drive maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Judge2112

My wife and I brought 4 cats from Germany in 2000. And we had to put them in cargo. I was more a nervous wreck in the end than the cats!

There are special cages you can get for this purpose, which we bought in Germany. I think you can rent them as well. We bought one of the larger ones, which allowed the cat a bit more space, so when they had to poo, they wouldn't be necessarily sitting in it.

They were also given a *light* sedative, that calms the cat. We also sprayed (more like soaked) the cage with catmint. Apart from generally being nervous in a cage, and then having to get used to a new environment, they did really well.

I had also came over earlier and prepared their environment - brought over things they were used to (furniture/scratchposts, toys...etc). That helped quite a lot.

I do not know what the situation is with the Pet Passport scheme. To bring them to Germany will be no problems, but back in 2000 the passport scheme was not available to the general public and we had to jump through rings of fire to be able to bring our cats into Ireland without having to put them into quarantine for 6 months. That involved lots of paperwork, rabies shots and we had to first bring them into Heathrow for inspection, then we could continue on to Dublin.

In 2000, there was that Foot & Mouth problem, so Aer Lingus wouldn't fly pets at all. We had to hire a private plane to bring them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Hi there,

thanks for replies. We may look into driving her over yet but even on Irish Ferries, on the way back into Ireland, the cat is taken and put into a kennel on the boat, with all the other animals. But possibly preferable to the cargo part of the plane.

Judge, thanks for long reply...I was hoping there would be someone who has gone through it all. The passport scheme is in operation now, but there are still restrictions about bringing her back into the country. Lufthansa would allow me to take her up onto the cabin where I could try to keep her calm. I know it wouldn't be easy but at least I'd know what was happening to her and be able to comfort her. But even if we fly back with Lufthansa, we would have to put her into cargo to satisfy the Deparment of Agriculture here. Otherwise she may be put into quarantine. Which is not an option.

How much was the private jet, if you don't mind my asking! I see there are a few of those as approved carriers? But must cost a small fortune.:eek:

I think I will be like you in the end, more stressed than moggier herself.

God helps us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Micamaca wrote:
    Hi there,

thanks for replies. We may look into driving her over yet but even on Irish Ferries, on the way back into Ireland, the cat is taken and put into a kennel on the boat, with all the other animals. But possibly preferable to the cargo part of the plane.
    !

You could drive across UK and onto Eurotunnel train. Cat neednt be taken out of the car at all this way. Its cheaper than Irish Ferries to France as well.

ThanksFits, I'll look into that. We could ferry to Holyhead alright and drive down to London. Our car has steering wheel on the right side of car so we could be okay in England but when we get to Belgium/France we would be driving on the otherside of the road, in a car with the steering wheel on the wrong side. After a journey in a boat, a car and a chunnel, that could be a bit dodgy!

I'm wondering is it right to have her locked up for nearly 24 hours or more by the time we drive down to Trier. Would she better off on a 2 hour flight instead. It's really hard to know.

On the way back into Ireland by ferry she would be taken from us and put in kennels, according to irish ferries.

http://www.irishferries.com/pets/index.shtml

But at least I could visit her there and see how she's doing. Maybe we could hire a car or two instead of bringing our own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Judge2112

IMHO, I would choose the plane. It might be a bit noisier than by car, but the cat is only away from your side for a couple hours.

24hrs locked up in a cage -vs- 3-4hrs. I think the cat would prefer option 2.

BTW, It was a just a 2 prop cessna, not a jet. At the time I paid £2k. I had all the tickets with Lufthansa/Aer Lingus, then they called 3days before we were to leave and said they wouldn't fly the pets. A desperate situation which cleared my savings... :(

But I would do it again if I had to. :rolleyes:

Judge2112 wrote:
    IMHO, I would choose the plane. It might be a bit noisier than by car, but the cat is only away from your side for a couple hours.

24hrs locked up in a cage -vs- 3-4hrs. I think the cat would prefer option 2.

I think you may be right about this. It may be noisier but if I talk to someone in Lufthansa and find out what the cargo hold is like, maybe I'll feel better. Such a pity though, that the government won't let me take her on the plane with me on the way back.

I'm trying to get an answer from Dublin Airport about going out through security, and was told to contact the airline in question. So starts the wild goose chase. :( I'm quite sure dublin airport are in charge of security in the airport not the airline.

Thanks for opinions, it's good to get the feedback, really! I want to do this as with as little stress as possible! cheers mica

Advertisement