Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should there be a law against driving too slow?

• 02-02-2007 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Ok ireland atm are suffering from 'there ought to be a law against that'.

We all know that speeding is against the law. Why? Because most of us aren't trained or experienced in handling a vehicle at a high rate of speed, especially if that vehicle goes out of control. So the answer, simply put, is that it's too dangerous to drive at high speeds.

That said, isn't it also dangerous to drive too slowly in the high-speed lane? The answer is yes. So why then do so many people do it?

And its the people who live in the country and work in the city who get caught most of the time.
    We have all been caught behind that elderly driver with a flow of traffic two miles long behind them,then you get this road rage driver that passes out 5-10 cars just waiting for an accident.

We all know its illegal to disrupt the flow of traffic in any city,but their should be a law against driving too slow on our main roads.
    I also think that elderly people should be made retake a specific driving test,bit extreme i know,but i've seen them cause too many problems too many times.

Wow that was a mouthful....

Should there be a law for driving too slow on our main roads? 83 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    81% 68 votes
    Are you crazy?
    18% 15 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

There is a law for this AFAIK. I think it comes under the umbrella of "dangerous driving" e.g driving at such a speed that is likely to pose a hazard or danger to other motorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Discussed to death in the Motors forum.

And yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Ridiculously hard to get a conviction on driving too slow with current laws. They are not putting others at risk per se. They are creating conditions that invite others to put themselves at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

people who drive at 40 mph in the overtaking lane should be strung up and shot :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Not sure but I think there is a certain speed you must go on the motorways atm. Am I wrong in thinking this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

IT can be just as dangerous if there is a person going too slow as if there was someone going to fast.

There should be some sort of law on motorways for definite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I wish there was a minimum speed limit on all roads so as to remove all tractors and slow moving machinery from the roads. Construction is the biggest offenders with Tractors taking the place of lorries for hauling aggregate and filling etc. often over large distances.

The amount of times I have seen a massive New Holland or John Deere with anything up to thirty tonnes of a load on behind is ridiculous. Hurdling along at anything near up to 50km/h such loads are usually driven by a 16 or 17yr who's biggest source of driving experience was probably Garn Tourismo on the Playstation, and of course they always have the near obligatory Mobile Glued to the Ear and one hand on the steering wheel. This is madness and is all fuelled by Berties Buddies in the Galway Races Tent.

These are the same fellas who are too cheap to put a lorry on the road, but instead would rather pay some teenager about €5/hour to drive a colossus of a tractor around while getting the benefit of Agricultural Diesel also. Don't worry though folks they are doing it of the benefit of us consumers, sure the houses will be sold for the knock down price of €750,000 for a 500sq ft semi-d. :eek: :mad:

Everytime I take to the roads I get stuck in behind one nearly, and there is no such thing as pulling in even if the lay-bye was the size of Co. Louth. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mossy Monk wrote:
    people who drive at 40 mph in the overtaking lane should be strung up and shot :mad:
    People who drive at 40mph on any road should be strung up. There's always one or two on the N17 and they must be holding up a 100 cars every single day, you always see it a long cue of cars then a break back to the next tool doing 40-50. It drives me spare trying to get in or out of Galway because of pricks like that a 25 minute journey becomes and hour and a half one.

I don't mind tractors so much there going as fast as they can and usually pull in or wave you past. But some numpty in a brand new 2 LITRE! car doing 40 really gets under my skin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

"Obstructing the normal flow of traffic"

I've also heard "Failing to make good progress"

Basically, it's already covered.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Who voted no? And why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

ciaranfo wrote:
    Who voted no?
    None of your business, its a private poll buddy. You used to read your sisters diary when she was outside skipping didn't you?
    ciaranfo wrote:
    And why?
    Again thats not for you to know. Sorry to come down all heavy on you but privacy rocks and Pighead hates to see it getting abused.

Don't screw with Pighead!

I'd just love to know the reasons people had is all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I voted no. I love my massey! I think there should be a lot more effort required to get a license and driving in the first place. I have a provisional, I can drive. Wtf?? I should not be allowed near a car until I've had a number of hours (at least ten imo) driving lessons. (and when I say I, I mean I. if you follow ;) )

Also, you can drive home after failing the driving test!!! What the hell is that about?

ciaranfo wrote:
    Don't screw with Pighead!

I'd just love to know the reasons people had is all :)
    Ah c'mon buddy, aim higher.

"I'd love to know who really shot JFK back in 63" or
    "I'd love to know Is Darwin really right about his theories regarding evolution"

Hell even an "I'd love to know do the RTE head honchoes ever regret calling time on Glenroe" would have done.

Ask yourselves the questions that really really matter. Don't be bothering yourself with who voted No in the poll about the question that I can't even remember anymore. Good lad.

I'd love to know what you're talking about? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Kudos on actually calling it by the right name.
    How many people have failed their driving test because the called it the "fast lane"?

When I drove, I used to drive really slowly if some dick was driving up my arse. I love pissing off people who speed.
    dvega wrote:
    We all know that speeding is against the law. Why? Because most of us aren't trained or experienced in handling a vehicle at a high rate of speed, especially if that vehicle goes out of control. So the answer, simply put, is that it's too dangerous to drive at high speeds.
    Umm. One of the main reasons behind speed limits is so that people can stop in time if someone walks out in front of a car or if there is an obstruction on the road.

as for the motorway, there is a minimum of 40mph/ 50kph.

ciaranfo wrote:
    I'd love to know what you're talking about? ;)
    Pigheads talking about the disgraceful behaviour of the CEO's up in Montrose regarding Mick Lally Joe Byrne, Mary McEvoy, Emmet Bergin etc etc. How they can sit in their offices watching Fair City and fail to feel guilty is utterly beyond me. Give me a Massey Ferguson over a Latvian tart anyday.

Anyway Juleps here so on topic, I reckon that the main culprits on the roads these days who are driving slowly in the overtaking lanes are the big wigs from Donnybrook. They make me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

Yes there should be a law against driving too slow and the offence should be driving without due care and consideration for other road users. A little bit of cop on and consideration would go a hell of a long way in reducing road rage and crashes.

Pighead wrote:
    Pigheads talking about the disgraceful behaviour of the CEO's up in Montrose regarding Mick Lally Joe Byrne, Mary McEvoy, Emmet Bergin etc etc. How they can sit in their offices watching Fair City and fail to feel guilty is utterly beyond me. Give me a Massey Ferguson over a Latvian tart anyday.

Anyway Juleps here so on topic, I reckon that the main culprits on the roads these days who are driving slowly in the overtaking lanes are the big wigs from Donnybrook. They make me sick.
    pighead banned because I'm almost drunk and haven't banned anyone in a few days and I lifted two bans today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Theoretically of course, the offence already exists (in law). Like a lot of Irish problems, it's the enforcement of said law that is the crux of the matter.

I've heard anecdotal evidence of people being cautioned for driving like pussies, but I can't vouch for it tbh. If it were true, then great, but I can't see a Garda exhorting someone to drive faster with the current climate of anti speed hysteria that this country is in the middle of atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

There is always the one that will pull out from a side road and proceed to go up the gears and stay crusing at 40kmh. I call these Sunday drivers.
    I don't mind it much on a standard road, but on the motorway it just means you are going out of your way to overtake the car as it is impeding the flow of the traffic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yes enforcement is a biggie

regarding obstruction

look at the overtaking lane on Motorways and Dual Carraigeways

look at people not driving in the left of their lane but hogging the middle of the road

not pulling in to the hard shoulder on an N road (with the dashed lines)

in other countries you have to pull over if there are more then say 5 cars behind you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Spanky-s wrote:
    I don't mind it much on a standard road, but on the motorway it just means you are going out of your way to overtake the car as it is impeding the flow of the traffic.

Surely it would be a bigger deal on a standard road (single carriageway?), as you have to consciously overtake, assuming of course that you get the chance and have the horses, as opposed to a motorway/HQDC where you move out and go...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Yes there should.

Also, the elderly should be banned from driving.

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Surely it would be a bigger deal on a standard road (single carriageway?), as you have to consciously overtake, assuming of course that you get the chance and have the horses, as opposed to a motorway/HQDC where you move out and go...?

Ah I'm more referring to an urban area. If it was a country road then yeah I do hate that too. In most cases I do overtake after a good look (with 2 or 3 cars following me too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Its not unusual for people in Britan to be pulled up on this one...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I voted no, but only because the poll was too general to say yes. It depends on the roads, location etc.

There is already a law for this on motorways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Pighead wrote:
    None of your business, its a private poll buddy. You used to read your sisters diary when she was outside skipping didn't you?

Again thats not for you to know. Sorry to come down all heavy on you but privacy rocks and Pighead hates to see it getting abused.
    Its only private if people want to keep it private!i voted,i voted yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

Slow pokes mess with the flow!

GO COLTS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

julep wrote:
    as for the motorway, there is a minimum of 40mph/ 50kph.

Is there? I know there's a requirement for your vehicle to be capable of that speed, didn't know there was a requirement for you to drive at that speed.

The ingrates who merge onto the M50 from the N3 roundabout at 40mph regardless of what speed the traffic on the motorway is doing deserve to be shot. They really need a dual merging lane so you can get around the ****. You're half way down the sliproad and you can already see the chaos ahead as cars coming from the toll are forced to brake and move into the overtaking lane to avoid colliding with the morons. Takes ages for the traffic to sort itself out again. Just in time for traffic to merge from the N2 (although it's nowhere near as bad).

It's also very annoying being stuck behind someone doing a "safe" 40mph on national roads. Especially when they start slamming on their brakes any time they go over the 40 mark on their speedos. Because that's uber-safe, that is.

Stark wrote:
    Is there? I know there's a requirement for your vehicle to be capable of that speed, didn't know there was a requirement for you to drive at that speed.
    99% sure.
    I have a vague memory of someone telling me that they were pulled over for doing 30 mp/h or something.

Advertisement