Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired works, Wireless doesn't?

Options
  • 02-02-2007 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I have a strange one that I just can't figure. I hope someone can!!

I have a central site with 4 remote sites connecting to it via an IPSEC tunnel. Each site currently has a Cisco PIX 506e and are connecting back to a PIX box at the central site. So far so good. All running well for months and no problems.

One of the sites, has good LOS to the central office and have decied to go with a wireless (unlicenced) link back to the central site, replacing the cost of a BB connection to run the IPSEC tunnel. At present the site link is up and testing shows no problems at all - except!

The central site houses a SQL server. The remote sites connect to this via a DB client. This DB client will not run over the wireless link. It simply sits there hanging. There is no latency to the SQL server from the site, the connection is constant. There is no accesslists or restrictions either. Opening Query Analyzer or Enterprise Manager will connect fine. Its just this application that will not run. If I switch the same host back to the IPSEC switch, the same application connects and runs fine. MTU for wireless link is set correctly.

Can anyone think of any reason, why this app runs fine over a wired link but not over this wireless link? The installer of the wireless link are adamant the link is fine and I would be too. But the developers of the application are also insisting their app is fine, which it is too.

The app uses MS Client Network Utility for its SQL connection. I have tried using the FQDN and IP of the SQL server and also pinning the port. But nada!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

If you can't ping the server then the fact it's SQL should be irrelevant.
    Do a trace from a client to the Server, see where it's trying to go, it may also be a routing /vlan issue. Really I need some more details on the traffic flow, where does your Wireless link terminate and how is the routing setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

_CreeD_ wrote:
    If you can't ping the server then the fact it's SQL should be irrelevant.
    Do a trace from a client to the Server, see where it's trying to go, it may also be a routing /vlan issue. Really I need some more details on the traffic flow, where does your Wireless link terminate and how is the routing setup?

I CAN ping the server. I CAN connect to any host over this link and move all sorts of traffic - http, smtp, telnet everything runs fine over this link except this?

What do you need to know? Wireless link terminates at a Catalyst switch (well the POE injector does). What routing info are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If enterprise manager connects fine over the wireless link then the application must be at fault. What is it using to connect - is it tcp/ip? named pipes?

Can you for example set up an odbc connection and import data to excel over the wireless link. You could try testing a vpn using himatchi to see if it can connect over that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

azzeretti wrote:
    I CAN ping the server. I CAN connect to any host over this link and move all sorts of traffic - http, smtp, telnet everything runs fine over this link except this?

vs.
    azzeretti wrote:
    I have tried using the FQDN and IP of the SQL server and also pinning the port. But nada!

Ease up on the CAPS and maybe try being more descriptive next time. You're asking for help, you may be frustrated but you are relying on the good graces of everyone else here (who likely have their own issues to work on), to give you their time and advice for free. And that list just got smaller by one.

If enterprise manager connects fine over the wireless link then the application must be at fault. What is it using to connect - is it tcp/ip? named pipes?

Can you for example set up an odbc connection and import data to excel over the wireless link. You could try testing a vpn using himatchi to see if it can connect over that also.

Jimmy,
    The connection is using TCP/IP. I haven't tried an ODBC connection but running a large query in query analyzer reproduces the problem.

• Advertisement

_CreeD_ wrote:
    vs.

Ease up on the CAPS and maybe try being more descriptive next time. You're asking for help, you may be frustrated but you are relying on the good graces of everyone else here (who likely have their own issues to work on), to give you their time and advice for free. And that list just got smaller by one.

The uppercase "CAN" in my response was simply to reiterate that the connection was fine - as I did specifically say this in the original post.
    As for the CAPS that followed (IP, SQL etc) well, that is just correct english, I'm afraid and if you picked it up as me screaming then thats your problem.

I do apprieciate anyone who takes the time to post to my question, but most of the information you asked for was already included in my original post.

Advertisement