Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Went up to pr3 rank and lost all good search words positions

Options
  • 02-02-2007 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My site went from pr0 to pr3 in a month so i thought i had made a good start. A few days after i went up alot of the keywords i was coming in at position 1 and 2 on Google went off the radar. Its mad, they are even in the top hundred and to make things worse, one of the sites that links to my site is now coming in at number one for that search term. Very strange, is this a temporary thing do you reckon?

Also, i recently added a robots.txt file (for the first time) and am jusr worried this might have something to do with it.

The file is as follows:

User-Agent: Googlebot
    Disallow: /mysql_backups/*.sql

This wouldnt have an effect would it or have a written it wrong, all i want it to do is to tell the googlebot not to index my mysql backup folder.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Also, i recently added a robots.txt file (for the first time) and am jusr worried this might have something to do with it.

The file is as follows:

User-Agent: Googlebot
    Disallow: /mysql_backups/*.sql

This wouldnt have an effect would it or have a written it wrong, all i want it to do is to tell the googlebot not to index my mysql backup folder.

Thanks

On a non ranking note ...
    I just have to say ... WTF??? you've got a publically accessable folder with your database backups ????

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

Never thought about that (*showing my complete ignorance). My hosting company set it up automatically to this folder. I'll have to look into it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

My hosting company set it up automatically to this folder.
    Is that folder in your web root - is it accessible from the web? If so find another host.

On the ranking sounds like you've gone into the sandbox. Some people don't believe in it, but basically it's a penalty Google places on new sites. Might be a couple of months before you rank well for those terms again. Depends on what type of links you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

The folder is in my root alright. I got onto the hosting company and they have changed the .htaccess so that it is not publicy viewable.

Bloody google sandbox, was doing well an now its all gone to pot..... for a while anyway.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Google and its algorithms are becoming increasingly erratic and irritating. Time for a new, honest and open SE if you ask me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement