Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend Prem Thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

thought utd were poor today actually.

Vidic was the only man who played a blinder.

Ronaldo was poor, lost the ball a lot, never really threatened apart from the penalty and assist.

Scholes was quiet, Carrick quiet also.

Full backs average, ferdinand average, giggs quiet.

Larsson out of the game and rooney not getting much of the ball.

I'm not being sarcastic her either :) i genuinely thought utd were average today bar Vidic.

4-0, however spurs had at least 2 good chances which van der saar saved. (berbatov got 1 on 1 springs to mind, also keane -v- o'shea)

It's great to know utd can win by such a margin without hitting top gear :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think the Robble Keane "effort" near the end summed up spurs. The fact that Utd had a centre half in goal for the last 10 mins and SPurs didnt at least have a shot on goal says it all. If they cant play it around UTd they should have been taking pot shots from anywhere closer than 30 yards.

Whats with Robinosn btw? I was watching him against Arsenal during the week too, every time the ball gets within 40 yards of his goal he seems to want to come rushing out. I thought his positioning for Arsenals 3rd goal (the one that wen tin at the near post) was very poor. He was too far out to make any use of angles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Decent game today, first half was a bit sh*te but it picked up when the goals started going in ;)

Van der Saar came out with some great saves, shame he took that knee. His nose looked fairly wonkey after that! :D
    Lovely header from Vidic, he played a stormer and reminded me of how good he is!
    Evra was quite poor today, he's usually one of our best defenders.
    O Shea... what can I say! :D I was in stitches when I saw how much he was loving the situation :D Great save at the end, with his feet :)
    Giggs was unremarkable for the most part. Nice finish though.
    Scholes was the same. Not so nice finish though ;)
    I thought Ronaldo played a bit sh*te, by the standards he's set for himself in recent games, anyway :) Not that a goal and an assist is anything to be sneezed at.
    Rooney was a bit quiet, not as bad as he was before the last 2 or 3 games, but not realising his potential still. Came close with a nice curler, though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ronaldo was poor, lost the ball a lot, never really threatened apart from the penalty and assist.

Gee, he must be ****ing terrifying to play against when he is playing well :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

LOL..........:D
    So true PHB

PHB wrote:
    Gee, he must be ****ing terrifying to play against when he is playing well :P

had he been on form, utd would have scored more. Quite often today, he was muscled out of it by spurs players.. he still tried to dribble and run but it just didn't happen.

once the adrenaline got going and the hate mob turned up the heat on him in the second half, i think he woke up and tried to silence the critics with his skills - which obviously he did.

overall ronaldo was nowhere near his best today, nor were rooney or larsson.

had those three been in the mood, spurs would have been humiliated. *even further

more points of note:

scholes should have been booked
    keane never shut up from the moment he came on
    ronaldo penalty wasn't a penalty
    larsson penalty was a penalty
    gneville should have given away a cast iron penalty
    gneville should have been booked
    larsson shouldnt have been booked
    utd fans shouting 'hand ball' at every spurs pass :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

pretty much summed up spurs season this year.

can we have carrick back?

you can have defoe and keane as well while we are at it.

if i wasnt philisophical about football, id probably be crying right now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

smemon wrote:
    utd fans shouting 'hand ball' at every spurs pass :D

First heard that during the derby earlier in the season. Hilarious. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Chelsea I thought had a straight-forward win if unflattering. Man Utd had yet another resounding win though, and as each week passes they can start to think about winning the league title.

Their 12 remaining games are as follows:

Man Utd v Charlton, 15:00
    Fulham v Man Utd, 12:45
    Liverpool v Man Utd, 12:45
    Man Utd v Bolton, 12:45
    Man Utd v Blackburn, 15:00
    Portsmouth v Man Utd, 17:15
    Man Utd v Sheff Utd, 20:00
    Chelsea v Man Utd, 13:30
    Man Utd v Middlesbrough, 15:00
    Everton v Man Utd, 12:00
    Man City v Man Utd, 15:00
    Man Utd v West Ham, 15:00

If we presume they dont blow up in the bread and butter matches, then with a 6 point lead it all depends on what happens at Liverpool and at Chelsea. Two draws in those matches, ie: 2 pts, or 3 pts, and that may be enough to see them home. They haven't hit a bad patch, and the displays of some of the players have been a great help.

Van Der Sar - usually safe
    The back four of Neville, Didic, Ferdinand and Evra, safe an contributing in attack, overlapping full-backs, inside-'lapping' Evra, and Vidic's headers.
    Ronaldo in midfield has a better product, Giggs is as good as he ever was and is busy when in the centre, Scholes back to his best level, Carrick, does a simple job but does it well, Rooney, not brilliant at times but has very good moments, and Larsson has been a steal.

Lacking any major injuries has helped, and these, notably Terry, have afflicted Chelsea. Also, having a great run in the league from the start and without an effective blip. Okay, two losses to Arsenal but there is no shame in that and the players weren't allowed to dwell on it.

My prediction at the start of the season was CMAL. A few weeks ago I adjusted that to MCAL and I'm staying with that for the moment.

Time will tell,

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Was looking at the remaining games left, and with United in good form I tried to be realistically tough on them when predicting the outcomes. Looks like united will take the league by 3 points!

**************MAN UTD*************

Charlton H - W
    Fulham A - W
    Liverpool A - L
    Bolton H - W
    Blackburn H - W

Portsmouth A - D
    Sheff Utd H - W
    Chelsea A - L
    Middlesbrough H - W
    Everton A - W
    Man City A - D
    West Ham H - W

TOTAL: 26

*************CHELSEA**************

Middlesbrough H - W
    Portsmouth A - D
    Sheff Utd H - W
    Watford A - W
    Man City A - W

Tottenham H - W
    West Ham A - D
    Man Utd H - W
    Newcastle A - W
    Bolton H - W
    Arsenal A - L
    Everton H - W

TOTAL: 29

They haven't hit a bad patch

Actually, we dropped quite a few points over the Christmas period.

I doubt very much that United will win 10 more games this season, and then only draw against Chelsea and Liverpool. I'd say both Chelsea and United have at least one more slip up in them, and if the title is won in any way early, expect the champions to drop points, like say for example, if United have won the league, I think they'll probably lose to West Ham as they'll be fighting for relegation.
    Either way, there are lots more twists in the race yet I'd say.
    People say United have the tough away games left, but so do Chelsea, with Arsenal away. Chelsea also have quite a few teams fighting for survival, Sheff Utd, Watford, West Ham, and just last week Charlton. These teams are normally harder to beat towards the end of the season than the mid table teams imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PHB wrote:
    I'd say both Chelsea and England.

:confused: typo ?

Indeed :)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You tube link to Man Utd 4 goals against Spurs and also Robbie Keane's one on one with John O Shea.

i think utd have it sown up already tbh.

6 points is a big lead, it's really 7 with the goal difference.

For utd to lose a minimum 2 games and draw one with Chelsea winning all their's is virtually impossible.

Utd are the hungrier side this year, and with such a comfortable lead, i can't see them letting Chelsea back in.

The majority of the utd side has never won the league... when you've got the likes of vidic, rooney and heinze hungry for success, i can't see them bottling it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement