Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on a second car...agh!

Options
  • 02-02-2007 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Wonder if anyone knows more than I could find out about getting a second car insured.
    I have one car currently insured under my name, full comp, full licence. 4 years no claims etc.
    I want to get a second car, a run about for the weekends insured. Is it possible in Ireland to get a limited mileage insurance or something. The second cars on a '98 Classic style Mini Coop. Got quoted like 1400~euro for third party on it on a fully policy :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It seems to be a complete pain over here to get a 2nd car without paying a fortune in insurance, despite the fact it's quite hard to be driving both at the same time.

Unless you have your mind on a particular mini, then why not have a look at a classic one? Your insurance and tax will be very low then. You would probably have a good range to choose from in the UK if you wanted to bring one over.

Edit: classic mini here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

A classic may be the only way to go if you've not already got a car. Some classic companies might take a relatively new mini cooper as a classic.

Else just switch you car insurance over every weekend - somw companies dont charge for this, bit dodgy re theft though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Well, its currently my dads but not insured. want to keep it.
    Really annoying. Prob get my g/f to get it insured and put me down as a named or get an open policy

RobAMerc wrote:
    A classic may be the only way to go if you've not already got a car. Some classic companies might take a relatively new mini cooper as a classic.

Else just switch you car insurance over every weekend - somw companies dont charge for this, bit dodgy re theft though.

Sounds a bit messy, especially if you may need to use the main car at the w/end. Apparently Carol Nash treat some cars less than 25 years old as a classic, but 98 may be pushing it. Worth ringing though. I'd seriously consider the classic route though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Defo consider classic particularly if a mini as an 77 cooper in theory shouldn't be a million miles away for the 98 one, plus u could take it to shows at the weekend.
    Watch for rust though!

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote:
    Defo consider classic particularly if a mini as an 77 cooper in theory shouldn't be a million miles away for the 98 one, plus u could take it to shows at the weekend.
    Watch for rust though!

Rust is a killer on any mini let alone a classic one - it had my one ruined :(

Looks like it's a particular car the OP needs to get insured though. You could always just ring around all the insurance companies at renewal time and mention that you need a 2nd car insured, it's a pain over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

prob get it insured under my better half then be a named driver or something

Advertisement