Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First surf of the new year

Options
  • 02-02-2007 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I had my first surf of the year yesterday and by god was it good.
    looking forward to getting back into it , got a bit lazy there over the winter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I had my first surf of the year on new years day in Kerry.
    Then again the next day, and then again in Lanzarote last week :)

Looks like all the reefs, tullan, streedagh, and Rossnowlagh will all be working well this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭g-punkteffekt

I was in Streedagh on Friday, I've never seen it so good. Shame I was hungover to bits and couldn't paddle to save my life :(. The weather was beautiful too, and NO WIND whatsoever on Streedagh, I didn't think that was possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I was in Lahinch. What a day! From inside the car it looked like LA (with better views) There was lots of people on the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭book smarts

Surfed Jaws this morning, then Teahu'poo and Mavericks this Evening. Duck dived 10 in a row at Jaws, then Laird tried to drop in on me! So I had to push him off his board. Sharks got him, I think. Ah well, thats what you get for dropping in!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

First time out this year, on Sunday, at long last. Streedagh was dead so I went to Strandhill instead. It was alright apart from the fact that I could barely lift myself up. Arms like jelly from being landlocked for the last month and finishing off all the xmas selection boxes. Waves were closing off mostly but once the fog lifted it was sunny and blue skies. Good to just be out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Had some great sessions over the weekend. Light offshores, lines stacked to the horizon, sunny days, right hand point break, only a few guys out, doesn't get much better than that!

man they are some fine looking pictures. Can you tell us where it is? the county even?

Sorry man, if you know it you know it. You could figure it out by looking closely ;)

Looks, great! Where is than Enygma?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Enygma wrote:
    Had some great sessions over the weekend. Light offshores, lines stacked to the horizon, sunny days, right hand point break, only a few guys out, doesn't get much better than that!

Lovely lovely shots. That's a great spot too.

• Advertisement

I'd say it's somewhere around inch reef and strands or in cork somewhere, but I've never been down that way, I could be completely wrong. I hate all this secrecy nonsense... We're all going to surf somewhere at the end of the day! I'm off to NZ for a year or so next month, it's meant to be pretty good down there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

***NOOB ALERT***

So I take it ye's all wear wetsuits? Would ye still be absolutely freezin in them or is it alright? Also, how far out from shore would ye generally go out?

I'm interested in surfing but I amn't the world's greatest swimmer, do ye have to be a really strong swimmer?

I'd say it's somewhere around inch reef and strands or in cork somewhere, but I've never been down that way, I could be completely wrong. I hate all this secrecy nonsense... We're all going to surf somewhere at the end of the day! I'm off to NZ for a year or so next month, it's meant to be pretty good down there too.

It's not really about keeping it a secret, it's just about respecting the wishes of the people that surf there all the time. The spot isn't a secret by any means but the guys that live and surf there would rather that it not be named.

If you don't have the decency to respect the locals then why should they respect you?

Enygma wrote:
    If you don't have the decency to respect the locals then why should they respect you?

Amazing. What a thing to say... Who was disrespecting locals? Why should they disrespect me? Surfing in a local area brings money, people pay to stay in the area, buy petrol, food, spend money in the local surf shops (as I did on Saturday, didn't need anything, but spent a few bob, support the community and all that) I found the locals very helpful, local surfers told me where the rips were, what to look out for etc... I canoed white water for years, and it was always a pleasure to share river spots, standing wave spots and general good areas to go paddling with other paddlers. Never came across this before. I'm with G-Punk, total nonsense. Post up a pic of a great spot and not tell anyone where it is...

Allow me to qualify that.
    I'll be the first to admit the whole thing is crazy. There's only one county in the entire country that gets upset over things like this. And believe me, if you don't pay them respect they'll make damn sure you will next time. I don't agree with it either but it's the way it is there. It's the only place in the country I've seen "Locals Only", "Brits out" and "No Cork Surfers" graffiti'd around surf breaks. It's not nice.

That said, the first rule of surf travel is to respect the locals. That's universal. So again, if you don't respect locals, why should they respect you? It wasn't directed at anyone here and if people picked up on that then I'm sorry. I was just trying (badly!) to explain where I was coming from.

We don't have it too bad here when it comes to localism, try Spain or Portugal. Those guys are completely nuts.

Enygma wrote:
    Allow me to qualify that.

You did, nicely as well, sorry for getting annoyed.

Enygma wrote:
    if you don't pay them respect they'll make damn sure you will next time.

What exactly are they going to do?
    Enygma wrote:
    I don't agree with it either but it's the way it is there. It's the only place in the country I've seen "Locals Only", "Brits out" and "No Cork Surfers" graffiti'd around surf breaks. It's not nice.

Thats amazing, didn't know that went on. Sounds like school kid stuff really.
    Enygma wrote:
    I was just trying (badly!) to explain where I was coming from.

I'm the king of bad explaining, ask my wife. I just think this is one of the friendliest forums, no bitching and plenty of advice.

Honestly, if you tell us I promise I won't tell them it was you that told me! If the schoolkids want to get rough I would be glad to face up to them.

What exactly are they going to do?
    There's been lots of threatening behaviour at certain spots, at least one assault and at least one waxed windscreen (guards involved there and all) in recent times. Like I said, it's not nice, and in my experience it's the only place in the country I've ever seen it.
    We ever received a very frosty reception from non-surfing locals at a night out last christmas. People don't really see it as a boost to the local economy. They see 4WDs racing on the beaches, ripping up the dunes, illegal camping, littering etc.

Nearly everywhere else you'll find friendly and helpful locals who are happy to see you.

One of the inherent problems in surfing is that there's a physical limit to the amount of people that can enjoy it at any one time. There's nothing worse than coming in from near perfect surf in a ****ty mood because you couldn't get a wave to yourself with the amount of people in the water. Unfortunately crowds do lead to surf rage which leads to localism.

Here's a good guide for surfing ettiquette:
    http://www.surfline.com/surfology/surfology_borl_07.cfm

and another quick one:
    http://www.surfguidehawaii.com/respect-conservation.htm

I'm all for keeping this forum friendly, if I leapt off the mark a bit too quickly there then I'm sorry.

Wow, sounds like a right pack of white thrash hicks. I guess the best thing is to get in, get your surfing done and get right out again! (and bring the rothweilers for outside the car) Really bad attitude to visitors. I guarentee you, the ones leaving the garbage around are the locals! I gotta get an L sign or something to stop people getting rage at me!

Thanks for the links.

yeah I hear that localism is pretty bad in some parts. I crashed into a load of guys in Peniche in Portugal once and they were cool with it, laughing actually. Maybe I just look dead hard!! I never got any hassle here, although I heard the peak in Bundoran has a lot of it going on, I've never surfed the peak though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭book smarts

Some Hawaiian breaks the locals carry knives and aren't afraid to use them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

There's only one county in the entire country that gets upset over things like this

down the kingdom eh?

the reports for sandy lane in kerry on wannasurf make entertaining reading - what a bunch of red-necks.

I'd never name a spot as i have above but those guys down there deserve it (especially as its a pretty average break.

jesus yeah I just read those sandy lane reports, what a bunch of muppets!! They'll give agro to the wrong blokes some day and get the sh*t kicked out of them, stupid hicks.

Advertisement