Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dexter -us Tv Series

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

here's a link, I watched the first episode it was pretty good, original take on the CSI style format, haven't got around to checking any more out yet

<SNIP>

MOD EDIT: JoeSchmoe banned for that link!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I've seen promos for it on the FX channel on Sky Digital, so it must be coming there soon.

Very good series though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Seen the whole series its very good i was disappointed it came 2nd to heroes in the tv.com vote. They are both savage shows tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Dexter is indeed savage

i think Heroes is better though

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭WadeTalon

Dexter is more grown up than heroes it has a deepr undertone to it Ive seen the entire series anyone interested in this should go out and buy the books that this show is based on. So far there are three of them I think book three is just being released. Micheal C Hall from six feet under plays Dexter and after reading the books (2 so far) I can see anyone else playing him he is amazing in the role.

Ive seen bought Heroes and Dexter and I have to say I prefer Dexter mainly because it deals with a more adult tone Heroes is great i really do love it, but I feel dexter is aimed at an older demograohic and has a slightly different appeal. Definately check it out

also If you a trekkie there are a few cameos from Star trek cast members from TNG and Voyager keep your eyes peeled

• Advertisement

im a treckie and i didnt spot anyone in series 1 of dexter oh wait i remember ONE person but its been so long i cant remember who...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tasha yar and tom paris were both in the same ep of dexter

loser

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

is dexter over now? 12 episodes a season?

wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Yep, but no filler and it actually closes this story arc without a bollocks cliffhanger

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Mordeth wrote:
    is dexter over now? 12 episodes a season?

wtf?
    WTF to your WTF :p It's a very common format for US Cable shows from the likes of FX, Showtime, and HBO. They're generally around 12/13 episodes a season and it means we get much tighter story arcs and less filler. I prefer it this way: even if the season doesn't last too long, you get only good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

ixoy wrote:
    WTF to your WTF :p It's a very common format for US Cable shows from the likes of FX, Showtime, and HBO. They're generally around 12/13 episodes a season and it means we get much tighter story arcs and less filler. I prefer it this way: even if the season doesn't last too long, you get only good stuff.

very true...the wire comes to mind (now how'd you guess id mention that?) :D

tvnutz wrote:
    very true...the wire comes to mind (now how'd you guess id mention that?) :D
    I was going to mention it too but we don't want to sound too much like zealots, always raving about it :)

ixoy wrote:
    I was going to mention it too but we don't want to sound too much like zealots, always raving about it :)

just bought the third season, was released yesterday. and just finished burning the 4th season to dvdrs (no ones recording over them anytime soon!). so now i have every season :D got a few friends into it as well. The word must be spread!

tvnutz wrote:
    just bought the third season, was released yesterday. and just finished burning the 4th season to dvdrs (no ones recording over them anytime soon!). so now i have every season :D got a few friends into it as well. The word must be spread!
    Taking this topic even further off topic, I just watched the first episode of "The Corner". There's a large number of familiar faces there, including a drug-addled Freeman which is a little distracting, especially as the show seems to have some of the same locations.

It differs a little in style too - "The Wire" is almost a follower of the 'Dogme '95' film movement, highlighting realism with no use of narrative devices like flashbacks, music over scenes (all music in the show, bar the finale, are playing on radios, TV, etc.). Whereas "The Corner" does employ some more familiar concepts, so we can jump back a couple of decades.

Still though, it's definetely worth watching so far. Interesting to see how the drug users live, the third side to the story that we don't see so much in "The Wire" apart from the superb Bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Dexter is proof of the less is more theory. 12 excellent episodes a must watch. Creators of other series that take half a year and meander all over the place should take note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Another show with potential was "The Lost Room".
    Some say it was a "gateway mini series" for more eps in teh future.

Dexter was fairly kick ass though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Another show with potential was "The Lost Room".
    Some say it was a "gateway mini series" for more eps in teh future.
    Some of the acting and dialogue is a bit cheesy, but it's a great concept. I haven't seen the third part yet but
    I'm really hoping he never finds his daughter as she was particularly atrocious in it.

ixoy wrote:
    Taking this topic even further off topic, I just watched the first episode of "The Corner". There's a large number of familiar faces there, including a drug-addled Freeman which is a little distracting, especially as the show seems to have some of the same locations.

It differs a little in style too - "The Wire" is almost a follower of the 'Dogme '95' film movement, highlighting realism with no use of narrative devices like flashbacks, music over scenes (all music in the show, bar the finale, are playing on radios, TV, etc.). Whereas "The Corner" does employ some more familiar concepts, so we can jump back a couple of decades.

Still though, it's definetely worth watching so far. Interesting to see how the drug users live, the third side to the story that we don't see so much in "The Wire" apart from the superb Bubbles.

Ye i have seen the corner,a friend has it on dvd. Very good show. Like you said,more about how the drug users live than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

That was a hell of a first season I loved every episode not a filler in sight the way it should be - the performances were impeccable and the soundtrack is classy loads of latin / cuban stuff - can't wait for season 2. There'd better be a season 2. Or else.......

eamon234 wrote:
    That was a hell of a first season I loved every episode not a filler in sight the way it should be - the performances were impeccable and the soundtrack is classy loads of latin / cuban stuff - can't wait for season 2. There'd better be a season 2. Or else.......

October i believe :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ScruffySlayer

any word on it being screened here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

FX will be showing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

just finished episode 12
    a-ma-zing. cant wait for dearly devoted dexter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

REALLY enjoyed this show....loved all the charactors in it...very very well cast!

Oct for the second season?! oh god what a wait..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Excellent excellent show... I have never seen a show like it. Watched the first 4 on Saturday once my media centre was up and running.. had to test it out :D Have to say.... im hooked.

Advertisement