Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi Rolls

• 02-02-2007 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Are these available in Ireland, more specifically Dublin.

These things

I used to eat them when I lived in Australia, but haven't seen them here. I loved them.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You'll get generic factory made sushi rolls in M&S for a start. Is it a particular kind of roll you're looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Aya on Clarendon Street and possibly Yamamori (does sushi anyhow) and Wagamama (not so sure but it's Japanese too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Wagamama don't do sushi (never understood why they don't make it!).

Aya's sushi is mediocre. Yamamori is one of the best in Dublin, there's also a Japanese place in Castleknock which i haven't tried yet, there's a new Sushi bar in the Epicurean foodhall from the people behind Aya, it's called SushiGoGo and pieces are around 1 euro each which is pretty cheap for Ireland.

Sushi in Ireland generally isn't very good, apparently the fish available is pretty sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BuffyBot wrote:
    You'll get generic factory made sushi rolls in M&S for a start.
    M&S you say - thanks for that, I'll check it out at the weekend.
    BuffyBot wrote:
    Is it a particular kind of roll you're looking for?
    Do you mean a particular brand? Or filling.

If by filling you mean, then anything without cucumber.
    missmatty wrote:
    Aya on Clarendon Street and possibly Yamamori (does sushi anyhow) and Wagamama (not so sure but it's Japanese too).
    The only one I don't know where it is is Aya, but I'm sure I can find it.

Thanks for the answers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eth0_ wrote:
    there's a new Sushi bar in the Epicurean foodhall from the people behind Aya, it's called SushiGoGo and pieces are around 1 euro each which is pretty cheap for Ireland.
    Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

You can make them yourself, too. Get a pack of sheets of nori and some sushi rice (you'll get these in the Asia Market in... Drury Street, I think - one of the streets parallel with Grafton Street, anyway. And you'll get some sushi seasoning there too.

For your filling, you can use whatever you like: mix some umeboshi paste (same place) with the rice when you've boiled the rice, or get some cheap caviare, or go to Kish fish shop in behind Church Street (www.kishfish.ie) where the fish is lepping fresh and put in some grilled fish.

To make the rolls, toast the nori very briefly over the gas flame or under a grill till it turns a glossy green, then spread it out flat and paste on a layer of rice about half a centimetre thick. Put your filling along one end, then start to roll it all up.

(You can use bamboo mats for this if you have them, it's easier.)

When you have a long roll, slice it into shorter lengths, and serve it with the dipping sauce of your choice. I know I'm a savage but I like a mixture of soya sauce and wasabi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭s&mbarbie

sakura in malahide...its been a few years since iv been but really good...worth the trek

Advertisement