Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for Work on Cottage

Options
  • 02-02-2007 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Me and my girlfriend have a 4 bed cottage built in the 50's. Its single block leaf , the house is well decorated lokks nice on the inside and all, but and this is a big but , it has no central heating and no insulation. We use storage heating and the last esb bill was over 500 euros :eek: .

I have decided that enough is enough ( i only moved n a couple of months ago my girlfriend is there nearly a year and a half ) i,m gona get the whole house done . that means insulate the walls , put in a new ensuite, re do the existing bathroom, put in oil fired central heating and insulate the attic.

My question though is , and i'm not looking for an exact figure, how much do you think it should cost and what way should i go about it.

I was gona do the drylining myself and the attic insulation , the rest i was gona leave to pro's

Any input from some one who has done similar would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Well if you start drylining the walls and insulating them then you are going to be eating into your internal space.
    This will probably affect windows, doors, fireplace, doors etc.
    Would you consider another leaf externally with insulation between it and the existing leaf?

What sort of floors do you have?
    Sounds like you will have a lot of chasing ahead of you for pipes...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

The floors are concrete, i was sort of hoping to go for the cheaper option, adding an extra leaf seems to be a very expensive way to go. Wouldn't the roof have to be redone ?

In doing the drylining i was hoping to hide a lot of the piping which would mean a lot less chasing . Space wouldn't really come into it as the rooms are fairly big with high ceilings. all the doors have arcitraves (sp), so they could be sacrificed where needs be.

Thanks for the input a fresh perspedctive on it is very welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I'm doing a 1930s cottage at the moment. I had timber floors/joists and replaced all of them. I rewired, refurbed the plumbing which included a new oil burner, slabbed and insulated all the walls with Kingspan, took down all the ceilings, took out a chimney, all new internal doors and frames, new windows, had work done on the roof etc. I have spent around 25k

Advertisement