Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vocal Coach

Options
  • 02-02-2007 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Does anyone know of a good singing teacher or vocal coach in the Dundalk/Ardee/Drogheda area.

I'm into soul, r'n'b, gospel all that stuff so not looing for someone who'll try to influence my style too much (ie classical, operatic, traditional etc.). Just looking to increase my range and power really.

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I can't offer a number or a name as I'm in alway, but just if you've never gotten trained before, or had a bad experience with a cowboy, you should have nothing to fear about the teacher trying to influence your style, or getting you to sing stuff you're not interested in.

I'm a bass, and am getting trained at the minute by an absurdly overqualified coach, it's fantastic. I am singing two hundred year old Italian love songs, but it's to improve the tonal aspect of my voice, she says she doesn't care if I never learn it off, just get comfortable enough to sing it at practice. For my own pleasure, I'm doing Crash Test Dummies, and some old negro spirituals. You can come to them with any song you want and get them to work you through it, regardless of how much any other song or type of singing would suit you. It's your money, you're the boss.

If you want to get better at songs you already know or like, that's fine, but some genres of music suit different voices better than others. Today is a high voice world, so you've to go back to the last century to find good material for low voices. I like the songs I'm doing (Old Man River, Deep River, Were You there, anything by Paul Robeson), but if you want to improve and really show off your voice to its fullest extent, you might have to sing some stuff you weren't prepared to. But go with it, you'll come to love the songs, as because they're more in your range, you'll be able to belt them out better than anything you ever did before.

Best of Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 shifty sparrow

Thanks for the advise!

I'll look into it more

Advertisement