Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how did u get into modding?

• 02-02-2007 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

i remember years ago went up to a friends house for a good ole lan session when one of his friends brought up his pc, with the side window and lights bling bling , after seeing that i completely refused to get another beige box again!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Same really, I have always been into cars and did a few up. Then i seen a mad looking pc at a lan, and decided id have a go at that. Then ready modded cases were boring. So i started using a dremel to do my own case mods. Then came overclocking, watercooling, hardware mods like volt modding and soldering.

Broken many a bit of hardware in my time though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'm more into tweaking than modding really ;)
    The whole neon glowing case thing never really caught my interest.
    lol actually, I should post a pic of my tower and you can see the f*cking state of it... it looks like I pulled it out of a skip, even though the innards are reasonably new.
    Maybe I'll just claim to have modded it and that I was going for 'ghetto chic' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Always been into puters since back in the day of MS 3.1 and such, but never really went further then setting up a few lans over in a friends house to play descent. I remember helping a friend upgrade his graphics card (he got an Uber 8MB nvidia). I kinda left off on building my own PC's, usually just picking up old ones second hand at the local recycling plant for use. I really got up to speed with computers once I got into college and joined the CompSoc and became chairperson after a year. We had about 15 computers in a LAN that needed constant upgrading and maintenance, this allowed me to do all my messing around on those computers before I tried the same out at home.

After this I build my first complete computer from scratch, and its been in a constant state of flux since, with upgrades/tweaks/modding every month or so. I was into the whole window and LEDs for a few months there when I got my new dremel but that faded quickly as i decided i'd rather spend my time increasing the performance of the pc rather than the look. I like my PC's now to be as understated as possible, simple lines, no brash lights with the guts of the pc on show.

I think its just a natural progression of any computer builder, your first rig usually is put together sloppy, with not the optimum combination of components, you make up for this by adding lights and windows, then for your second build you try to right these wrongs and throw all your money into making it perform better, learning from the mistakes you made before, which leaves little reason to compensate. You'll find that when you do mod the case, it is now for more functional purposes rather than flashy (i.e. fan holes... etc) imo anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭SeanW

I had always liked custom things, home entertainment centres, UV mods on cars, flashy lights, bling bling etc, but I'm mainly into computers. So when I just couldn't put up with my old-assed Dell anymore, I decided to take the plunge into self-building. This was last April.

And I haven't looked back since. When I first built my computer, the innards were a complete mess, but I tamed it since. I did add some mods but had to remove them when the contributed to the mess and to case noise - I'll have to new mods later on, that will happen when I give the computer a mid-life overhaul later this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I'm more into tweaking than modding really ;)
    The whole neon glowing case thing never really caught my interest.

same here really

started using pcs back when i was like 6, first pc was a wang 286 and even from then i ended up swapping the hdd out of it, after that came 386 and at that stage i was opening them up and upgrading them etc

build my first pc when the pentium 3 550mhz was out.... then came cyrix,athlon, p4 etc etc

ever since i used a pc i have been into upgrading them or overclocking them

never really god into the whole "bling" thing in pcs, for me its all about the preformance

• Advertisement
Advertisement