Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help cooking whiting

• 02-02-2007 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

i want to make a nice dish with whiting tonight but i dont really know how to cook fish. i dont want it breaded if possible. whats the best way to cook it so it doesnt fall apart? just looking for the simplest way. thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Whiting fillets? Toss them in some seasoned flour (salt, pepper, flour) fry in a little butter and serve with wedge of fresh lemon. Sometimes simple is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Am I too late???

I never get whiting because it's so delicate it falls apart, as you mentioned.

If someone put a gun to my head and made me buy it, I'd gently place it in tinfoil in the oven at 200degrees, don't turn it or anything, just leave it in for about 15mins. Sprinkle some fresh lime juice and sea salt over it and garnish with parsley. Enjoy with roast spuds / chips and maybe petis pois.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BuffyBot wrote:
    Whiting fillets? Toss them in some seasoned flour (salt, pepper, flour) fry in a little butter and serve with wedge of fresh lemon. Sometimes simple is best.
    Yeah simple is quite often the best. Use a small amount of oil with the butter to stop the butter from burning and make sure your pan is very hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I make a light batter with 6 heaped Tbsp flour 1/2 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
    add water and whisk or process with stickmixer until you have a nice thin batter .
    You are looking for a consistency like a maple syrup.
    preheat your oil to 350deg F or 180 C
    get a plate and put a tablespoon of the batter mix on the plate and spread it around,
    lay your fillet on the batter and put another tablespoon of batter on the fillet and spread it around with the back of the spoon, the fillet doesn't have to be covered just wet with the batter.
    fry until golden brown and remove and drain.
    dipping the whole fillet into the batter makes for a thick and soggy batter coating, this method makes a light crust.
    I am going to make some now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

rediguana wrote:
    Am I too late???

I never get whiting because it's so delicate it falls apart, as you mentioned.
    A good way I find to stop it falling apart is to coat it in the seasoned flour and then place skin side up in a very hot pan with some olive oil. This crisps up the non skin side quickly and so when you need to turn it, it should stay together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement