Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael / Labour / Green Policies

Options
  • 02-02-2007 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

We have heard lots from Fine Gael and Labour in recent weeks and months on their joint policies on Health, Policing and Mental Health.We are likely to hear a lot more on these in the coming months as they move to the next stage of their campaign.

The Green Party has said that they are not going to tie themselves to another other party in advance of the election. As such we don't really know what sort of combined policies the three parties would offer together.

Michael Mc Dowell has been on the radio today saying all kinds of things about the Greens. One of which was that they would stop all road building projects. He is also spelling doom for the Celtic Tiger if Green's get into power.

We all know Micky Macky Dee isn't too fond of the Greens. Especially seeing as he insinuated they were responsible for the attack on the PDs offices in 2006.

What good policies do you guys think would come out of a FG/Lab/Green alliance specifically. Labour are at the moment proposing a standard fare of €1 for all Dublin Bus journeys. This is a great idea in my opinion, it would reduce boarding times on buses and encourage people to use the Bus. The greens would surely go for this.

The Greens aren't big into motorways, but what if there was rail built alongside all new motorway projects. This would save a huge amount of money in duplication of effort and would be similar to common practice in Japan, Scandinavia and other regions. They are likely to want to change the route of the M3 also. The people's of Meath and Cavan would be delighted if a rail line was incorporated into this project with Park and Ride faclities.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ballooba wrote:
    Labour are at the moment proposing a standard fare of €1 for all Dublin Bus journeys. This is a great idea in my opinion, it would reduce boarding times on buses and encourage people to use the Bus. The greens would surely go for this.

Wouldn't that just heavily increase the subsidy needed for Dublin Bus? Would it necessarily encourage people to use the Bus more considering how relatively cheap it already is? It would definitely reduce boarding times, though how much of a factor is this for people who 'may' use the bus, for people who would use it anyway it would be a great boon but would it have much of an effect on people using cars? Essentially, how much of an incentive would a flat fare be for people who now would use a car? If it gets a lot of cars off the road would a lot of them decide to take the car out again because the traffic has died down and we'd return to an equilibrium of traffic chaos hopefully slightly lower than originally but with, as above, an increased subsidy needed for the buses?

I'm just curious really, this kind of transport infrastructure stuff is very interesting but I'd be interested to hear arguments for the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The main incentive of standardised fare is reduced queuing, not cost. Reduced queuing would make journeys significantly faster and timetables more predictable. There also needs to be reform of timetabling. Labour has also promised live tracking of buses and displays of such at bus stops.

If there was an effective public transport system then I do think people would use it. The standardised fare works very well in Chicago. This is the only city where I have personal experience of it.

People don't bring cars to work because it's too much hassle to park etc.

You pay $1.50 for your first trip on Bus/Train. Any subsequent trip within 2 hours is 25c. Another further trip within the initial 2 hours is free. This relies on integrated ticketing of course. Commuter tickets in chicago are $20 per week I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

From my experience with public transport, the things that delay my journey are rush hour traffic and drivers taking 30 minutes to swap over for lunch... boarding times don't even register.

On the slightly OT issue of McDowell hating the Greens, it's just because they share a voter base, specifically in Dublin, he'll say whatever it takes to convice his voters to give him their first and not the Greens.

ballooba wrote:
    The main incentive of standardised fare is reduced queuing, not cost. Reduced queuing would make journeys significantly faster and timetables more predictable. There also needs to be reform of timetabling. Labour has also promised live tracking of buses and displays of such at bus stops.

I'm not sure if it'd make things significantly faster, as flogen suggested and I'd agree with him it's traffic that is the main limiting factor in journey times rather than boarding times. Plus you have to factor in people not bothering to find a euro until the last minute etc.
    ballooba wrote:
    If there was an effective public transport system then I do think people would use it. The standardised fare works very well in Chicago. This is the only city where I have personal experience of it.

People don't bring cars to work because it's too much hassle to park etc.

You pay $1.50 for your first trip on Bus/Train. Any subsequent trip within 2 hours is 25c. Another further trip within the initial 2 hours is free. This relies on integrated ticketing of course. Commuter tickets in chicago are $20 per week I think.

I'll look into it and see if I can find any studies that were done on it. How would you think introducing a congestion charge system into the city centre would work combined with a flat fare structure? I'm just thinking of articles I've read in books and the Economist where they found that people responded better when there was a distinct clear monetary cost to taking the car 'into the city' rather than nebulous stuff like traffic jams and lost time. Such systems, and they have some very advanced ones where the car type dictates the charge, achieves both a reduction in traffic in the worst affected areas and encourages both the use of public transport and the use of more environmentally friendly vehicles.

It would not be 'easy' to bring in though.

flogen wrote:
    From my experience with public transport, the things that delay my journey are rush hour traffic and drivers taking 30 minutes to swap over for lunch... boarding times don't even register.
    Read here for insight into the life of a Dublin Bus driver. I don't want to regurgitate what he has already said.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055014290

Some problems lie with unions, some with management, some with government. Labour have made a few proposals to make Dublin bus work better.

The drivers don't want to be providing a **** service, if only for the amount of aggro they get as a result.

They are here:
    http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/getting_dublin_moving_nov06.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ballooba wrote:
    Read here for insight into the life of a Dublin Bus driver. I don't want to regurgitate what he has already said.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055014290

Some problems lie with unions, some with management, some with government. Labour have made a few proposals to make Dublin bus work better.

The drivers don't want to be providing a **** service, if only for the amount of aggro they get as a result.

They are here:
    http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/getting_dublin_moving_nov06.pdf

OK - so the problem from that account certainly doesn't lie with boarding times.

My comment on them swapping for lunch isn't to suggest that they don't deserve a lunch - it just seems to often take far longer than it should to swap drivers. Sometimes that's because the driver of the bus has to wait for his/her relief to arrive, but sometimes it's because the relief arrives and decides to have a smoke before starting the journey (or the two drivers have a quick chat before the original driver departs).
    Anyway, back OT.

flogen wrote:
    OK - so the problem from that account certainly doesn't lie with boarding times.
    I put that link up in response to your comment about driver's breaks. That deals with that. The bus can't leave before it's scheduled departure time. This is a timetabling/rostering issue. The bus driver in the above link explains all that.

Boarding times are the main delay on routes where an effective QBC is in use. If you think about it, there are only three sources of delay for your average commuter bus: Traffic (not an issue with QBC), Traffic Lights (Not much scope there), Stops (Boarding times).

The bus users interest groups are constantly pushing Dublin Bus to speed up boarding times. Some initiatives have included faster ticket printers and shorter tickets to enable faster printing. Some have even called for DB to cease printing it's logo on the tickets as it adds to printing time.

I have investigated this further and found that in London there is a standard bus fare of £2. This is pretty hefty you might agree. However, the prepaid fare using Oyster Card is £1. Thus encouraging people to use Oyster Card and speed up boarding times by using the automated system. Any regular bus user since the introduction of prepaid tickets in Dublin will advocate the time saving attached.

The idea behing the €1 fare is that it is a single coin. There is no fumbling for change. It could equally be €2 but this would likely go down like a rat sandwich with commuters. The €1 fare would probably require greater subvention for Dublin Bus, although if greater economies of scale could be proved in it's introduction, then this may not be necessary.

Other benefits of the single bus fare scheme would be:
    -No more change receipts (Yay *\o/*).
    -With electronic ticketing a reduction in waste paper, another bonus for the Greens. Electronic ticketing on a non-standard fare structure would be difficult, if not impossible.
    -When integrated ticketing is introduced your standard fare could incorporate multiple routes and modes of transport.

I've changed the thread title because the discussion seems to have focussed on transport policy.
    nesf wrote:
    How would you think introducing a congestion charge system into the city centre would work combined with a flat fare structure?
    Congestion charges would be difficult to implement. The main deterrent from bringing cars into the City Centre at the moment is the cost of parking. If you introduce congestion charges then the availability of cheap on-street parking frees up and the penalty is diminished.

Our city would be an awful lot more pleasant a place if there was less traffic. Less fumes, less noise, more freedom of movement for pedestrian traffic. a lot of city centre traffic is unnecesssary. I myself am guilty of driving into city centre sometimes even though I live 20 minutes walk away. Hangover days etc.

The benefit of removal of HGV traffic will become apparent in the coming days. I do believe this will make a big difference and the Quays will be a lot safer for cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

I lived in Boston in 1998. They had a great integrated ticketing system covering the "T" (the metro/tram system), buses, ferries, and the extensive commuter light rail system to outlying towns. I was working in an outlying town while living in the city, and my integrated swipe card to cover unlimited travel on all public transport was something like $90 a month. If you didn't need the outlying commuter rail option it was even cheaper again.

Anyway, point is that other cities have had integrated public transport networks, and integrated ticketing, for a decade now at least. But this government has arsed about for the last 6-7 years talking about integrated ticketing, and have spent over €11 million euro so far, to deliver precisely nothing.

It's not difficult, it has been done in literally dozens of cities worldwide without a problem, what's the problem here?

The RPA is charged with integrated ticketing. They are having a few problems.

http://www.platform11.org/campaigns/integrated_ticketing/

Some RPA decisions don't make a lot of sense. I have dealt with them in the past, they seem very disorganised. The price I agreed with them was a multiple of what I should have got. I just calculated it to be 70 times cost. :eek:

The fragmented Electronic Tolling industry is another example of poor vision from the government. My EazyPass tag should work at any toll plaza. Similar case to boarding times on buses, if I have to stop to pay a toll then I am delaying other users.

For those that are interested:
    Green Party Transport Policy Document:
    http://www.eamonryan.ie/documents/TransportPolicy_Final_LR.pdf

Fine Gael Policy Statements from Olivia Mitchell:
    http://www.finegael.ie/policy/index.cfm/area/information/pkey/671/PubCatID/19/type/details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

€1 bus fares is a ludicrous idea unless you're hoping to give a "pay-back" to the people who don't clog the city. It does not take a lot of time to throw your €1.80 or whatever it is into the box. Dispensing change is done via tickets, so it takes no more than two seconds per customer. A flat fee would reduce travelling times in the region of 1%, but these "extra passengers" you hope to attract will cancel that out by simply adding to the queues.

What we need is more buses at peak times and punctual buses during off-peak times. The former can be done by hiring the additional labour and skipping the administrative bullsh*t that exists. The latter can be achieved by the implementation of a regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Ibid wrote:
    these "extra passengers" you hope to attract will cancel that out by simply adding to the queues.

You don't seem to be taking into consideration that those extra passengers will equal less cars.

InFront wrote:
    You don't seem to be taking into consideration that those extra passengers will equal less cars.
    I am. The marginal level of passengers that it will attract will cancel out the marginal level of time saved by people only having to put in €1. Traffic, on average, as an educated guess, adds 20% to travel times. Take 10% of people out of cars (not going to happen) you save 2% of the journey. Take a still very generous 5% and you're looking at 1% journey time.

A 1% journey time save, losing about half of your revenues, with additional costs.

I prefer my method.

Ibid wrote:
    It does not take a lot of time to throw your €1.80 or whatever it is into the box.
    I think you are over simplifying there.

Boarding times are an issue. This is evident from initiatives in other countries, some initiatives by Dublin Bus and from feedback from commuter interest groups. Have you got evidence to suggest otherwise?
    Ibid wrote:
    Dispensing change is done via tickets, so it takes no more than two seconds per customer.
    My comment on change tickets is unrelated to boarding times. The current system does not work, it was an ill-conceived knee-jerk reaction to attacks on drivers. It represents a further tax on users.
    Ibid wrote:
    A flat fee would reduce travelling times in the region of 1%, but these "extra passengers" you hope to attract will cancel that out by simply adding to the queues.
    First of all where did you get that 1% figure? Second of all, are you saying we shouldn't be asking people to switch to public transport because it will add to queues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

A question that I feel will be best answered in this thread;

Do any of the parties plan to (re)establish a glass recycling facility in Ireland, or to improve other recycling facilities in the country? Presently they are exported which is a woeful way of dealing with waste imo.

Ibid wrote:
    Traffic, on average, as an educated guess, adds 20% to travel times.
    Educated guess = made up statistic?

Traffic is not an issue with effective QBCs. Can you counter that?

Also you mentioned more buses. Buses were held back by Brennan until he got co-operation from drivers on certain issues. This kind of makes sense, but he seems not to have achieved much in the way of reform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Ibid wrote:
    Traffic, on average, as an educated guess, adds 20% to travel times.

What does that even mean? On the M50? In the city centre? In Swords? In Donnybrook, where?

That is complete guesswork, there's another word for guesswork, garbage.
    I really don't see how you can pick 20% out of thin air, attempt to attach some sense to it and sell it. Perhaps we should stick to facts, if you have some factual suggestions with regard to the influence of traffic congestion on urban travelling maybe you would post them. Figures like that mean nothing, anyone can invent their own statistics.

A question that I feel will be best answered in this thread;

Do any of the parties plan to (re)establish a glass recycling facility in Ireland, or to improve other recycling facilities in the country? Presently they are exported which is a woeful way of dealing with waste imo.
    I have no idea on the glass plant front tbh.

The system for recycling at the moment is a bit of a shambles. We should be sorting our recyclables rather than lobbing it all in the green bin. Some poor unfortunate has to sort it all for us in a sorting centre. Nobody should have to do a job like that.

I don't think it's up to the government to establish facilities to process the recyclables in Ireland. This is done commercially in other countries. A lot of companies in ireland are making a healthy living off of waste. Perhaps incinerators are more profitable for companies like Indaver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

ballooba wrote:
    I have no idea on the glass plant front tbh.

The system for recycling at the moment is a bit of a shambles. We should be sorting our recyclables rather than lobbing it all in the green bin. Some poor unfortunate has to sort it all for us in a sorting centre. Nobody should have to do a job like that.

I don't think it's up to the government to establish facilities to process the recyclables in Ireland. This is done commercially in other countries. A lot of companies in ireland are making a healthy living off of waste. Perhaps incinerators are more profitable for companies like Indaver?

If there is a facility needed in the country that is not provided then the government is obliged to provide it afaik. I realise that several companies exist to recycle and reuse waste, but that's a drop in the ocean when you consider the amount of recyclable waste that is being dumped in landfills, either with non-recyclable waste or on its own. In Germany they use glass to fill the bottom layer of roads but we aren't even doing that! Such an easy and effective way to do it. For me recycling would be a reason to vote or not vote for a party.

If there is a facility needed in the country that is not provided then the government is obliged to provide it afaik.
    Not sure what you mean there. Obliged by whom?

The Greens are the party with the most 'Green' policies as would be expected. They would be more environmentally motivated than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

nesf wrote:
    I'm not sure if it'd make things significantly faster, as flogen suggested and I'd agree with him it's traffic that is the main limiting factor in journey times rather than boarding times. Plus you have to factor in people not bothering to find a euro until the last minute etc.

Several other cities around the world are moving to a fixed fare because its easy for people to understand (no more worrying about having the right fare or asking the driver), it is usually set to one coin so there's no fumbling for the right change and the driver doesn't have to count it and it produces a definite observable decrease in dwell times. In the long run a well-implemented contactless smartcard system with artificially high cash fares would be much better.

It's definitely important to reduce dwell times but right now in Dublin traffic, bad bus lanes, lack of priority at junctions, etc almost definitely contribute more to bus delay than dwell times.
    I'll look into it and see if I can find any studies that were done on it. How would you think introducing a congestion charge system into the city centre would work combined with a flat fare structure? I'm just thinking of articles I've read in books and the Economist where they found that people responded better when there was a distinct clear monetary cost to taking the car 'into the city' rather than nebulous stuff like traffic jams and lost time. Such systems, and they have some very advanced ones where the car type dictates the charge, achieves both a reduction in traffic in the worst affected areas and encourages both the use of public transport and the use of more environmentally friendly vehicles.

DCC have said, on several occasions that they're not opposed to a congestion charge in the city centre but it won't happen in the short term. The reasons they gave were a poor public transport system (which is true, hardly any train coverage and a lack of capacity on buses and trains) and more importantly, the number of bridges crossing the river forced a lot of cross-city traffic into the city centre area and until that's fixed a CG would be unfair.
    It would not be 'easy' to bring in though.

This is probably the crux of the matter. FF haven't proven very good at introducing unpopular measures (the smoking ban is obviously an exception) to this so I can't see them supporting if it might cost them votes.

To keep it on topic, I don't think there's any real difference between FF/PD and FG/Labour and I'm not too impressed with either. The main thing I'll be voting on is public transport and FF have done too little too late. Olivia Mitchell doesn't seem great either and the last time I heard Richard Bruton talk about buses in my area, it was cringworthy rubbish. The Greens (several of them that I've communicated with) seem to be the most clued in so I'll probably vote for them.

markpb wrote:
    It's definitely important to reduce dwell times but right now in Dublin traffic, bad bus lanes, lack of priority at junctions, etc almost definitely contribute more to bus delay than dwell times.
    These are also part of the Labour proposals. People on this thread have just homed in on the standard fare part.
    markpb wrote:
    To keep it on topic, I don't think there's any real difference between FF/PD and FG/Labour and I'm not too impressed with either.

From what I've seen, Labour have the most comprehensive policy document on this, so I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.

The Greens are obviously in favour of getting more cars off the streets. Their transport document is quite heavy. I haven't yet found the Fine Gael policy myself.

ballooba wrote:
    I haven't yet found the Fine Gael policy myself.
    I don't have time to reply more substantially, but here's FG policy on getting more buses on the road that were around for the Ryder Cup, while this is the Regulator policy.

From that Fine Gael are advocating Integrated Ticketing, QBCs where practicable, Real Time tracking and info, Park & Ride and Integration with Rail Network.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ibid wrote:
    I don't have time to reply more substantially, but here's FG policy on getting more buses on the road that were around for the Ryder Cup, while this is the Regulator policy.

What I find interesting about this is that it is almost the exact same policy as FF/PD. FF/PD has been trying to do this for the past few years, but the problem is that Dublin Bus management, staff and unions are all dead set against it. FF/PD have found it extremely difficult to get them to even agree to privatising just 10% of the new bus routes, never mind moving the whole lot under a bus regulator, London style.

This is a good example where it is easy to promise something when you are not in government, but far harder to implement in reality. Why would FG/Labour find it any easier to do then FF/PDs?

I'd say that it would actually be harder to do under a FG/Labour government as I'd assume Labour would actually be against it and side with the unions.

BTW FF/PDs policy on this is actually much grander then FGs. FF/PDs are setting up the Dublin Transport Authority, which is planned to not just take over the regulation of bus service, but also take over from the RPA (Luas, Metro) and probably take some control of Dart and commuter services from CIE. This would be far closer to the London model.
    ballooba wrote:
    From that Fine Gael are advocating Integrated Ticketing, QBCs where practicable, Real Time tracking and info, Park & Ride and Integration with Rail Network.

I have to laugh, must of these are already being done by the current government and Dublin Bus.

- Integrated Ticketing
    All Dublin Buses are now carrying the new Wayfarer ticket machines which are compatible with the contact less card systems standard. *

http://www.dublinbus.ie/projects/integrated_ticketing_system.asp

- QBC
    Already happening.

- Real Time tracking and info
    Already happening, again part of DB's new Wayfarer ticketing machines:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/projects/real_time_passenger_information_system.asp
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/projects/trunked_mobile_radio_system.asp

- Park & Ride and Integration with Rail Network.
    The whole point of the Dublin Transport Authority

* Yes integrated ticketing doesn't currently work, not because of any technical reason, rather due to infighting between DB, RPA and CIE (Dart) over how they should divide up the revenue from it. That is why the DTA is so important, we badly need it to smash their heads together to get them to work together rather then seeing each other as competition.

bk wrote:
    What I find interesting about this is that it is almost the exact same policy as FF/PD. FF/PD has been trying to do this for the past few years, but the problem is that Dublin Bus management, staff and unions are all dead set against it. FF/PD have found it extremely difficult to get them to even agree to privatising just 10% of the new bus routes, never mind moving the whole lot under a bus regulator, London style.
    People, Process, Technology. You have to be able to work with all three to manage change successfully. The government sees DB, it's staff and the unions as an inconvenience.
    bk wrote:
    BTW FF/PDs policy on this is actually much grander then FGs. FF/PDs are setting up the Dublin Transport Authority, which is planned to not just take over the regulation of bus service, but also take over from the RPA (Luas, Metro) and probably take some control of Dart and commuter services from CIE. This would be far closer to the London model.
    As if there won't be resistance to this. FF/PD will never be able to achieve this. See above.
    bk wrote:
    Integrated Ticketing
    This was recommended in the Dublin Transport Initiative report of 1994.

That was 13 years ago. Long before the RPA the agency failing to deliver it was set up.
    bk wrote:
    QBC
    Lots of QBCs where there is no bus routes and no buses.
    bk wrote:
    Real Time tracking and info
    They started a three-year pilot scheme in 2001. It's now 2007.

It might be finished in time for G.E. 2012. Niiiice!!!
    bk wrote:
    Yes integrated ticketing doesn't currently work, not because of any technical reason, rather due to infighting between DB, RPA and CIE (Dart) over how they should divide up the revenue from it. That is why the DTA is so important, we badly need it to smash their heads together to get them to work together rather then seeing each other as competition.
    See above regarding People, Process & Technology.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ballooba wrote:
    People, Process, Technology. You have to be able to work with all three to manage change successfully. The government sees DB, it's staff and the unions as an inconvenience.

And you honestly believe it will be different for FG/Labour, why?

DB staff, management and unions are playing to maximise their control over the DTA, minimise their changes in work practices and maximise the amount of money they get for implementing those minimised changes.

As a person who has a very strong interest in public infrastructure and transport and has spent a long time watching the developments in it, I can tell you that this won't be any different if FG/Lab are in government.

The only way it could be any different for FG/Labour, is if they give into DB's demands and that would be a bad thing as we would end up with little real change.

bk wrote:
    As a person who has a very strong interest in public infrastructure and transport and has spent a long time watching the developments in it, I can tell you that this won't be any different if FG/Lab are in government.

Well, most of the issues, to my mind anyways, are to a large extent independent of the Government. Bar breaking the unions Thatcher style it's going to take a long time to introduce substantial change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

bk wrote:

That is simply NOT TRUE. Dublin Bus management, staff and unions agreed to most of the DTA draft plan, it has been the politicians (of all colours AFAIK) and senior civil servants in the shape of local authorities desperate not to loose certain planning powers to the DTA that have stalled the process with virulent opposition.

There was also a massive flaw in the proposal that DB and the unions did not agree with that left control of private bus operation outside the DTA and firmly in the grasp of the Minister of Transport and his minions in the department. This would mean that the DTA would have strong control over Dublin Bus, Irish Rail Bus Eireann and LUAS services across Dublin and surronding counties including integrated ticketing, fare structures, timetables, service levels and customer service but would have no powers to compel any private bus operators to adhere to these rules.

This was a 100% FF/PD sop to their Galway races buddies in the transport sector who do not wish to operate under strict controls as they would severely limit the potential for large profits.
    bk wrote:
    This is a good example where it is easy to promise something when you are not in government, but far harder to implement in reality. Why would FG/Labour find it any easier to do then FF/PDs?

I'd say that it would actually be harder to do under a FG/Labour government as I'd assume Labour would actually be against it and side with the unions.

It is very easy to trot out the big plans when you are in government as well, implementing them in a way that works is an entirely different matter.

The DTA plan did not include any commitment to providing the extra funding necessary to making it work. Following the London model is all very well but as the London transport heads themselves explicitly warned not too long ago, to do so without a huge amount of extra public funding (they are using the congestion charge) would be disastrous. It is a far more expensive model than the current system and will cost millions more to run before a penny is spent on any service improvements.

bk wrote:
    * Yes integrated ticketing doesn't currently work, not because of any technical reason, rather due to infighting between DB, RPA and CIE (Dart) over how they should divide up the revenue from it. That is why the DTA is so important, we badly need it to smash their heads together to get them to work together rather then seeing each other as competition.

They have been forced to see each other as competition because that is what our current bunch of leaders have demanded of them. The RPA was set up on the basis of taking LUAS away from Irish Rail, a sort of de-integration if you will, as the PDs in particularly specifically wanted it to act as competition to IE/DB.

Although there was a lot of disagreeent over the revenue split regarding the integrated ticketing project (which was understandable as all three companies rely heavily on fare revenue to keep running their services and IT has the potential to leave them all very short of funds) it had nothng to do with the huge ongoing delay.

The simple fact is that the RPA who were given the project failed to complete the tendering process to appoint a company to design and implement the system.

• Advertisement

bk wrote:
    And you honestly believe it will be different for FG/Labour, why?
    Well, they can't do any worse. FF/PD have had ten years to do this and they have failed to reach their own targets by a considerable margin. It's time to give someone else a chance. They can't be much worse.
    bk wrote:
    DB staff, management and unions are playing to maximise their control over the DTA, minimise their changes in work practices and maximise the amount of money they get for implementing those minimised changes.
    Any party to negotiations is going to try and maximise their hand. It's up to the government to negotiate on our behalf. FF/PD has failed in the last ten years to negotiate these changes.
    bk wrote:
    Thanks for your (perhaps informed) opinion. We haven't seen FG/Lab/Green try to tackle these problems so we don't actually know how they will handle them. So I'll have to disagree.

Advertisement