Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest wireless bb ?

Options
  • 02-02-2007 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭

who's the cheapest for wireless bb? i need to connect a wireless laptop and a non wireless pc, so would need a wireless dongle for that.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

( . )( . ) wrote:
    who's the cheapest for wireless bb? i need to connect a wireless laptop and a non wireless pc, so would need a wireless dongle for that.?

Wireless broadband has usually nothing to do with that your laptop or PC is wireless or not. Wireless Broadband means, that the company is providing you the broadband via a wireless connection, most often fixed wireless, but then terminate the connection on an ethernet cable to your PC, ie. they give you a box that talkes wireless to their nearest basestation but they talk to you via cable.

If you want to go wireless from there, you'll have to buy a wireless access point or wireless router.

/Marlow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

thanks marlow.

can i not buy "broadband in a box" from digiweb and then get a wireless router?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Do you want a wireless ISP (IBB, Digiweb) or just a wireless modem/router from a normal ISP (Ericom, BT)?

hi, yeah i'd like ibb or digiwed (ie i don't want to have a phone)... then in someway put it trough a wireless router so i can put the pc on it using a wireless dongle.

that possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

yeah

get metro lite from digiweb and then an ethernet wireless router. Plug that into the modem digiweb give you and thats it

• Advertisement

cool, thank you :-)

It's actually cheaper to get IBB Breeze as they don't charge for installation at the moment like Digiweb do. You can also use a wireless router with IBB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

It's actually cheaper to get IBB Breeze as they don't charge for installation at the moment like Digiweb do. You can also use a wireless router with IBB.

Digiweb dont charge for install if you pay annually.

is that the good one from IBB or the bad one?

crawler wrote:
    Digiweb dont charge for install if you pay annually.
    The whole year upfront? :eek:

• Advertisement

event wrote:
    is that the good one from IBB or the bad one?
    LOL A part of me wants to say "IBB now offer a good one?" :D

It's the "good" one indeed Event. I didn't like it because I was mainly a gamer but for general internet use (browsing, e-mail, downloading, uploading) it was fine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

with digiweb-do you get a free router?

You'll get everything you need to start using the internet when they install the product (whether or not this includes a router). However, they charge for the installation (€89.66 EUR) so I wouldn't consider that "providing a router for free"...

LOL A part of me wants to say "IBB now offer a good one?" :D

It's the "good" one indeed Event. I didn't like it because I was mainly a gamer but for general internet use (browsing, e-mail, downloading, uploading) it was fine ;)

ye know what i mean;)

they give you a thomson modem, which can only connect to one device at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

event wrote:
    they give you a thomson modem, which can only connect to one device at a time

I'd say you'd be better of bying some decent ethernet wireless router anyhow. That way you can use it for any kind of Internet connection and aren't stuck with something rubbish noisy like a Netopia router :D

/Martin

well you have to

the thomson will connect to one device. ie either a one PC or another.

If you want more that one, get an ethernet router, connect it to that and connect your PC's to the router

So basically, based on the above posts, the answer is no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

IBB dont charge for installation for residential customers - its free. However for corporate connections I think there is an install fee but you get the first 2 months ... best call their corporate sales lines though to check that first.

IBB dont charge for installation for residential customers - its free. However for corporate connections I think there is an install fee but you get the first 2 months ... best call their corporate sales lines though to check that first.
    I'm pretty sure OP is a residential customer though

event wrote:
    well you have to

the thomson will connect to one device. ie either a one PC or another.

If you want more that one, get an ethernet router, connect it to that and connect your PC's to the router

but ,with the one they give you, can i use bb wirelessly on my laptop?

• Advertisement

Well, if Digiweb is like IBB, you don't get one. You just get a wire (with RG45 connector) that you then need to plug into a PC directly or into a wireless router. Basically you need to come up with the wireless router yourself.

can someone confirm or not this?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Yes I can confirm: you need to buy your own wireless router if you want to surf wireless on your laptop.

Think the Digiweb modem as a one network plug outlet: you can connect 1 computer (through an ethernet cable)

More computers? = buy a router
    Wireless connections? = buy a wireless router

thanks for the info guys
    got an email saying can get digiweb wireless now

so i need a wireless router becuase i have 3 devices to connect[my laptop, my brothers laptop[whenever hes home from collage, and my wii]

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes for Breeze or Digiweb Metro you need an Ethernet WAN WiFi Router, called Cable routers (incorrectly) in Argos catalogue. Like an ADSL router except with extra Ethernet socket and no built in modem.

The WAN Ethernet socket connects direct to the Digiweb or Breeze Modem.

Breeze is limited in speed. The Digiweb Metro, you can upgrade by email or phone possibly to up to 8M down and 1M up. It has two phone sockets and one phone number. You can get a second phone number.

Metro has built in QOS to make voice, Fax or Dialup Modem (Digibox etc) work better.

Advertisement