Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What part of your technique...

Options
  • 02-02-2007 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

...do you need to improve most?

For me it's my 4-step approach. I used to be pretty good but lately I've noticed that I'm not releasing the ball close enough to the surface of the lane. Not sure if this is because I'm not getting low enough or if I'm holding the ball too long before I release.

Now that I'm aware of it I can keep an eye on it but where do you think your biggest problem is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I'm finding it hard to keep my arm straight when I swing the ball, so sometimes my shots go awry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Coincidentally, I was on the lane at the weekend and in my efforts to correct my approach and get low enough, I started bending my arm as I was afraid I would hit the lane with my hand.

Apologies if you are already doing these things:) Assumes you are a right-handed bowler ;)

Our coach used to make us practice this routine without the ball for five mintes before each lesson:D
    1. Start off ensuring that you are holding the ball to the right of your body, not in front of it
    2. Visualise your arm and the ball as a pendulum, allow the weight of the ball to create the force rather than using brute force and muscle to swing
    3. As the ball begins the downward swing make sure it is not arcing around in front of your body, maintain the pure pendulum arc
    4. If you are not hooking, ensure that your wrist and palm are parallel with the foul line as you release the ball
    5. If you are hooking, ensure that your wrist is at right angles to the foul line as you release the ball
    6. Lastly, concentrate on each part of the swing, noting the position of your arm each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Senritsu wrote:
    I'm finding it hard to keep my arm straight when I swing the ball, so sometimes my shots go awry.

Another idea is to do a practice swing before you start. Stand with the ball held as normal, then push it out so you're holding it at arms length, then simply let go. The balls swings, as mentioned before like a weight on the end of a pendulum.

had a coach once who told me to forget that I had an arm and instead had a plank of wood nailed to my shoulder. Worked no end.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Another idea is to do a practice swing before you start. Stand with the ball held as normal, then push it out so you're holding it at arms length, then simply let go. The balls swings, as mentioned before like a weight on the end of a pendulum.

had a coach once who told me to forget that I had an arm and instead had a plank of wood nailed to my shoulder. Worked no end.

lol, a plank of wood, thanks you two, i'll keep those things in mind next time I practise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

r3nu4l wrote:
    1. Start off ensuring that you are holding the ball to the right of your body, not in front of it
    2. Visualise your arm and the ball as a pendulum, allow the weight of the ball to create the force rather than using brute force and muscle to swing
    3. As the ball begins the downward swing make sure it is not arcing around in front of your body, maintain the pure pendulum arc
    4. If you are not hooking, ensure that your wrist and palm are parallel with the foul line as you release the ball
    5. If you are hooking, ensure that your wrist is at right angles to the foul line as you release the ball
    6. Lastly, concentrate on each part of the swing, noting the position of your arm each time.

r3, you forgot THE most important thing. FOLLOW-THROUGH. I'm sure your coach told you that. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Our coach used to tell us that Follow-through was a whole other part to our approach, it deserved attention all of it's own. :D

We used to have to hold our position after releasing the ball and he would examine to see whether our shoulders were parallel to the foul line, how low we were on the finish etc.

Now that you mention it, last time I was bowling I noticed that I wasn't holding my position on release, as I release the ball I begin to bob up, reducing the bend in my knee and taking the ball away from the surface :)

Stupid follow-through :D

Advertisement