Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yet another 'help me buy, I'm clueless' thread

• 02-02-2007 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Right. Even though the Dell Inspiron 2200 is going well enough, I'm going to upgrade.

Principally because I short-sightedly declined to include a DVD burner on it and all the flicks I want to burn are over the 700MB apparent limit that CD RWs work off. And also for the TV Out facility.

In accordance with Tom Dunne's guidelines, I seek the following:

Price range: Up to a grand-ish, though obviously the cheaper, the better.
    Intended use: Home Net use.
    Mobility: Not a major issue, though as light as poss. Vaio-light would be ideal.
    Tv-out: Yes, absolutely.
    Buying abroad: Can't be arsed waiting, tbh.

There's a Toshiba satellite being advertised by Harvey Norman for 899 euro. I would have thought they'd have a website, but they don't, so sorry I can't provide any specific model.

Any general recommendations gratefully received. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

How about this http://cgi.ebay.ie/DELL-Inspiron-6400-1-83-DUAL-CORE-2GIG-80HD-LAPTOP_W0QQitemZ110085641997QQihZ001QQcategoryZ177QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not very portable but very good spec for the price. Have a look around that guys shop, I gather he's the main Dell reseller on ebay, and very good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Awful Scut wrote:
    Price range: Up to a grand-ish, though obviously the cheaper, the better.
    Intended use: Home Net use.
    Mobility: Not a major issue, though as light as poss. Vaio-light would be ideal.
    Tv-out: Yes, absolutely.
    Buying abroad: Can't be arsed waiting, tbh.

Look at Dell.ie, you will get a fairly decent system for that price. Just make sure to check for tv-out, the lower end models don't usually have them.
    Awful Scut wrote:
    There's a Toshiba satellite being advertised by Harvey Norman for 899 euro. I would have thought they'd have a website, but they don't, so sorry I can't provide any specific model.

Generally speaking, the likes of Harvey Norman charge over the odds, and not just for laptops, I am told. But that's for another forum.

If you need to touch, ahem, a laptop and see it in operation before buying it, PC World have been known to do good bargains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 deathray 4000

i just bought an advent 7106 in dixons today for 699.99 like yourself i only use it for net and college so its perfect. it weighs in at 2.7kg and it has an s video port. if your interested ill throw up the full specs later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

pc world are doing a fantastic toshiba notebook

here are the specs:

Pentium Dual Core Processor
    1Gg DDR ram
    80Gb hard drive
    DVD/cd burner
    wireless 802.11g
    Windows Vista Home Premium Edition

all for 799.99

Good deal in my opinion

Advertisement