Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

england squad announced

• 02-02-2007 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭

Robinson (Tottenham), Foster (Watford), Kirkland (Wigan); Gary Neville (Man Utd), Phil Neville (Everton), Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd), Woodgate (Middlesbrough), Bridge (Chelsea), Terry (Chelsea), Carragher (Liverpool), Dawson (Tottenham), Richards (Man City); Lennon (Tottenham), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Carrick (Man Utd), Downing (Midd'boro), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Parker (Newcastle), Lampard (Chelsea), Barry (Aston Villa), Barton (Man City), Jenas (Tottenham), Dyer (Newcastle); Rooney (Man Utd), Crouch (Liverpool), Defoe (Tottenham), Johnson (Everton)

thats the squad for the game against Spain

what does anyone make of it?

they are a little light up top, and i though johnson was injured? that means they would just have 3 strikers?

again, they have too many central midfielders. Pretty much 7 central midfielders, crazy when he will only play 2 at a time?

and terry called up? I thought he was injured too

any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Nice to Barry getting his chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye i knew Campbell wouldnt be in it. Anyone watchin BBC1 the other day could see that when McClaren was asked about him, he got all nervous and avoided the question.

and re: the number of forwards...ah sure they'll be grand! what are the odds of all their strikers gettin injured? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

A lot of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

how can he put Hargreaves in. he hasnt played for months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No David James either, proberly the form England keeper. Is Carson U21?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah Carson has been the U21 no 1 for a couple of years but I would have thught he would have got the first open slot, he's had a brilliant season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Who cares about the England squad anyway...:p i kid, i kid,

I think Robinson has been in very poor form this season, really surprised me to see that happen, maybe he should be put down the pecking order...

Up front is a real problem for them in my opinion, they really dont seem to have that out and out striker that they can rely on to score goals

Then there is the midfield 10000 piece puzzle, they will never make it right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

And there's Joey in the squad. About time. Hopefully a first cap is on the way now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

3 Wingers? And a barely fir Hargreaves? I'll still watch the game, only to see Liverpools future star-striker, Fernando Torres :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You look at the squad and you realise they have no real depth of talent. They may even have over-achieved at the WC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

about the strikers-there dying for someone like Dean Aston, although hes still about 1-2 months away from playing again

nice to see barry back,and barton getting his chance
    surprised lescott aint in it,been brill this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Xavi6 wrote:
    And there's Joey in the squad. About time. Hopefully a first cap is on the way now.
    It's ok, you can say it...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Good to see Barry getting called up, now if he has the guts to start him. Would've liked to see Nolan too. What's up with calling up injured players for a friendly?

Jenas been pulled out (prob a good thing), Rooney's a doubt, Johnson is injured? Crouch is ****e... Scoring goals not on the agenda?

I'd like to see: Barry Gerrard Carrick Lennon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Back to the future for Luis Aragonés, with Fernando Torres, Albelda, Puyol, Xavi and Pablo all returning to the Spanish squad for the friendly international against England at Old Trafford next week. The last four only missed the last game due to injury however, and Torres is the only real change. Out go Juanito, Lopo, Luis García, Oubiña and Marcos Senna. (02.02.07)

The full squad is as follows:

Goalkeepers: Reina (Liverpool), Casillas (Real Madrid);
    Defenders: Antonio López and Pablo (Atlético Madrid), Puyol (Barcelona), Angel (Celta), Capdevila (Deportivo), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Javi Navarro (Sevilla);
    Midfielders: Cesc (Arsenal), Iniesta and Xavi (Barcelona), Xabi Alonso (Liverpool), Albelda, Angulo and David Silva (Valencia);
    Forwards: Fernando Torres (Atlético Madrid), Arizmendi (Deportivo), David Villa and Morientes (Valencia).

Be a decent 15 minutes until both teams go into freindly mode.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Kold wrote:
    Crouch is ****e... Scoring goals not on the agenda?
    What do you mean crouch is ****e. Are you a United supporter i guess Louis Saha is a much better player:rolleyes: . Crouch is a great player that just happens to be tall. If he was 6ft people would think he is great but because he is 6ft 7 people have it in their mind that he is muck even though he has showen he is not on many occasions (Is he Englands top scorer at the moment?)

Reganio 2 wrote:
    What do you mean crouch is ****e. Are you a United supporter i guess Louis Saha is a much better player:rolleyes: . Crouch is a great player that just happens to be tall. If he was 6ft people would think he is great but because he is 6ft 7 people have it in their mind that he is muck even though he has showen he is not on many occasions (Is he Englands top scorer at the moment?)

Crouch is far from a great player. The only reason he is where he is now is because of his height, and even at that he's a poor header of the ball. And yeah he may be the top scorer recently but the opposition wasn't illustrious to say the least. He's average at best and certainly will never get Liverpool to a title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Can't believe that rubens Baraja still isn't in the spain squad!

I mean ya go mental once 5 years ago, and your ignored for life!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Wright-Phillips out, Pennant in

Xavi6 wrote:
    And yeah he may be the top scorer recently but the opposition wasn't illustrious to say the least. He's average at best and certainly will never get Liverpool to a title.
    Correct me if I am wrong but did Crouch not help Liverpool win the Fa cup last season and so what if the oppesition is crap are all the england players not playing against the same opposition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Crouch's main talent is his aerial ability, which is very very very poor. He is already a foot above everyone else he has absolutely no power in that body, what so ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Great to see Woodgate in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shedseven

I always look forward to England matches with blind optimism, and then realise 15 minutes into the game that its pretty much gonna be same old, same old, flatter to deceive, square pegs in round holes, disjointed, lop sided play......but I'm English so I expect this to happen and have seen it many times before. I'd like to see guys like Barton, Lennon and Dyer being given a run out in this match, people that will be hungry to impress in the white shirt. I guess McClaren will resort to Sven-mode and play safe with; Robinson, Neville, Ferdinand, Woodgate, Barry, Gerrard, Carrick, Lampard, Downing, Rooney, Crouch. Admittedly, that's not a bad side, but I'd like to see a bit more pace and thrust about England. The Goalkeeper has looked very unsteady during and since the World Cup and the form English keeper is David James who had been unlucky not to be called back in. Foster and Carson have the potential to be top keepers but it seems that PR can just lumber around letting in 3s and 4s and still get picked unchalleged........:rolleyes: Anyway....C'MON ENGLAND!!!:D

Reganio 2 wrote:

Nope, Spurs fan. I do think Saha is better than Crouch though. Defoe is more talented but has been off form for a bit, sure he's knocked a couple in this season but doesn't look as deadly as he was 2 seasons ago- still a better choice than Crouch. If he was 6 foot people would think he was average but nowhere near Bent or Johnson, he's there for Robinson to hoof balls at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Says all you need to know about this board when the English national team playing a friendly gets more replys and views than the Irish national team playing a competitive fixture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,078 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mclaren on Sky sports news just claimed none of foster, kirkland or carson have ever played in europe. Sure i suppose whats a champions league quarter final anyway!

I would have said Kirkland had played one or 2 in europe too for the period he was 1st choice, untill he broke himself again a few years ago..cant be sure though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gustavo wrote:
    Says all you need to know about this board when the English national team playing a friendly gets more replys and views than the Irish national team playing a competitive fixture!
    QFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

England first XI

Foster (Watford); Gary Neville (Man Utd), Phil Neville (Everton), Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd), Woodgate (Middlesbrough); Gerrard (Liverpool, capt), Carrick (Man Utd), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Lampard (Chelsea), Dyer (Newcastle); Crouch (Liverpool).

Bull that Foster gets in ahead of Carson....

Will line up like this I can imagine:
                       Foster
    G Neville Ferdinand Woodgate P Neville
                       Carrick
                Gerrard   Lampard
    Dyer                                   SWP
                       Crouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

gustavo wrote:

yet you have yet to post in it at time of posting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

event wrote:
    yet you have yet to post in it at time of posting?
    I wouldnt consider myself a boards.ie regular , so no I havent. Just a casual observation is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

fair enough

join in though, you might like it ;)

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Mclaren on Sky sports news just claimed none of foster, kirkland or carson have ever played in europe. Sure i suppose whats a champions league quarter final anyway!

I would have said Kirkland had played one or 2 in europe too for the period he was 1st choice, untill he broke himself again a few years ago..cant be sure though
    Yeah Kirkland and Carson played in Liverpool's champions league winning season. Kirkland played the earlier ones and I am fairly sure he played against Deprortivo or Monaco and of course Carson played against Juventus.

well Carson pulled of some good saves for the U21's last night but it was his error for the first goal and may have done better for the second, he's still better than Foster though!!

U21 England 2 - 2 Spain.

That Leroy Lita is becoming a bit of Roy of the Rovers.

Liverpool should make a bid this summer. :);)

Mike.

Call_me_al wrote:
                       Foster
    G Neville Ferdinand Woodgate P Neville
                       Carrick
                Gerrard   Lampard
    Dyer                                   SWP
                       Crouch

=/ that's ****ing bizarre imo

BBC have said Lamps will be wide and Dyer will be in the middle which is even stranger.

• Advertisement

Call_me_al wrote:
    BBC have said Lamps will be wide and Dyer will be in the middle which is even stranger.
    Yeah McClaren said yesterday that Lampard would play on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Odd. Why not just play Barry / Downing on the left. Why are they even in the squad :confused:

well you cant drop lampard <sarcasim>

downing should clearly be in instead of lamps

Maybe he meant left side midfield in a 4-3-3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Call_me_al wrote:
    well Carson pulled of some good saves for the U21's last night but it was his error for the first goal and may have done better for the second, he's still better than Foster though!!
    Very objective there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

spain one up

McClaren out *wonders which smiley would represent my seriousness but laughs at the reaction*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Crouch out. Please!!

England are almost as bad as Ireland at this stage:D

England and Ireland united! Two dull witted crap managers with poorly motivated teams. At least twas a friendly on this thread.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

LundiMardi wrote:
    Crouch out. Please!!

England are almost as bad as Ireland at this stage:D
    not quite,not quite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shedseven

Oh dear! Another below par performance by England (that must be the 268th in a row mustn't it??). England fans want to see high tempo, passing, attacking football, with free flowing movement and interplay with a structured and balanced team with in form and well drilled players. What we get is the complete opposite. I almost hope we lose in Israel and then hopefully the FA will realise the error of appointing McClaren (the 'he's ****, but at least he's English' doesn't wash now!!!), get him out and get someone in that can steer us to qualification. Wembley is going to be deserted after the opening game if this form continues. At least Ben Foster did well in goal and Woodgate looked decent at the back. Crouch up front on his own has NEVER worked and SWP has surely played his way into the international wilderness again. Again, more questions than anwers posed by yet another disjointed, lacklustre performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

It was awful. I think Crouch should be dropped, he's useless in my opinion. Tonight, if he wasn't off side he was giving away free kicks. Take him out, have rooney and defoe upfront. Dyer is another option, he did well tonight in that position, or as well as can be expected.

As for Lampard and Gerrard, i don't think i even saw them pass the ball to each other tonight. :confused:

After the first 7 minutes i was actually excited by the fact that it may have continued at that pace, but it was too good to be true when england are involved.

According to BBC Xavi controlled the game. What a player!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6330177.stm
    Any optimism engendered by England's bright approach at the start of each half quickly evaporated as Spain took control in midfield with Xavi a key influence.

While Xavi dictated the game's tempo, England's hotch-potch of a midfield struggled to regain some semblance of control.

Advertisement