Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worthwhile upgrade?

Options
  • 02-02-2007 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭

right so i'm planning a big build (aiming for summer, when dx10 cards somewhat mature, and vista has a few patches) but until then i'm wondering if my athlon64 3200+ (venice) upgraded to a 3700+ is worth it. it's obviously not the most expensive of upgrades (considering the last thing i bought was a 7600GT), but i want to know if it'll solve any bottlenecking that tends to happen with battlefield2... and sometimes 2142. the main thing is that it's got 1mb L2 while my 3200 has 512...

also, if it is worthwhile, before i go buying, is there anything i should check for on the mobo? (it's the same socket etc., i just don't want to be forced into my mega build too early :D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

omg is that sig starcraft :D

amm get the 3700 or if you wana oc get a dual core.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

If you keep an eye on www.adverts.ie (practiaclly boards.ie) you should be able to pick one up for €40-50 and save yourself a few bob. S939 single cores are worth nothing these days..........

For €40-50 it would prob be worth it......but i definetly wouldnt go spending any more money than that if your upgrading in the summer (unless its stuff you can bring to your new system - Not CPU/Mobo/Ram).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

awhir wrote:
    omg is that sig starcraft :D

ha, no. just a random "ooo it's winter" sig.

(yes i'm aware it's now spring)
    Col_Loki wrote:
    If you keep an eye on www.adverts.ie (practiaclly boards.ie) you should be able to pick one up for €40-50 and save yourself a few bob. S939 single cores are worth nothing these days..........

For €40-50 it would prob be worth it......but i definetly wouldnt go spending any more money than that if your upgrading in the summer (unless its stuff you can bring to your new system - Not CPU/Mobo/Ram).

cheers. just what i wanted to hear tbh. nothing in this system will be going in my new build, but this machine will be used by my brothers for games, while i'll be using my fancy new rig for my games, so any upgrades won't be going to waste...

Advertisement