Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction at Six Cross Roundabout

• 02-02-2007 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭

Anyone know what's getting built next to the Six Cross Roundabout? It's a pretty big building going up and by the looks of it it could be a retail building. A cinema there would be nice or maybe a brand new state of the art gym.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭derdoh

Its goin to be B&Q ,if its the one just before the roundabout being built by david flynn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

B&Q? howmany diy shops do we need? we already have homebase morrisis and woodies, not to menton the independants, we really dont need another one. They should put something usefull there, such as the aformentioned cinema!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

B&Q? Yipeeeeee another shed for harassed men! :p

I see what looks like yet another car showroom is under contruction at the N25 roundabout.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    B&Q? Yipeeeeee another shed for harassed men! :p

I see what looks like yet another car showroom is under contruction at the N25 roundabout.

Mike.

Ye thats bolands bmw are moving from the cork road,i think mitsubishi and mini are staying there tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

B&Q? howmany diy shops do we need? we already have homebase morrisis and woodies, not to menton the independants, we really dont need another one. They should put something usefull there, such as the aformentioned cinema!

I think the cinema is near one of the Juctions further up the ORR.The airport road I think.
    TBH when if it is not B&Q it will start to get embarressing.They are setting up shop in much smaller places than Waterford.

• Advertisement

Is it really a b&q though.I havn't heard anything other than speculation and I'm sure their wouold have been something in the paper I would have seen.

To be fair B&q are opening in much smaller placed in Waterford.It is starting to look embarresing that we seem to be always the last to get these places.As well that I don't think its a case of "they" putting things there other than retail facilties.Its up to who they can lure there or whoever shows interest
    The cinema is planned for a site near the airport road/ORR junction I think but its been objected to by Brendan McCann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

mad man wrote:
    The cinema is planned for a site near the airport road/ORR junction I think but its been objected to by Brendan McCann.

Ah he's right though.. we shouldn't be watching films at all.. not when we can all be out sucking daffodils.

Any sign or rumour of a decent gym going out there? I emailed total fitness and told them to get their asses down here but they have no plans to move said ass at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Trotter wrote:
    Ah he's right though.. we shouldn't be watching films at all.. not when we can all be out sucking daffodils.

Any sign or rumour of a decent gym going out there? I emailed total fitness and told them to get their asses down here but they have no plans to move said ass at the moment.

I fairness, putting a cinema in the middle of nowhere is probably not very good planning. Particularly when it can only be reached by car. As much as it galls me to say it, it looks like McCann is right on this one.

What about this cinema out by the crystal centre, is that going ahead? There should be a cinema on the Dunmore Rd. as well.

mad man wrote:
    Is it really a b&q though.I havn't heard anything other than speculation and I'm sure their wouold have been something in the paper I would have seen.

To be fair B&q are opening in much smaller placed in Waterford.It is starting to look embarresing that we seem to be always the last to get these places.As well that I don't think its a case of "they" putting things there other than retail facilties.Its up to who they can lure there or whoever shows interest

Ye its definitely B&Q,im sure they'll advertise jobs an that in the papers before it opens.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Speaking of development in that general area, has anyone noticed how dangerous the road by Bolsters construction site for housing is? The road is all wet and mucky with no warning signs and the dumper trucks drive all the way up by Ballybeg / Halting site towards the college. Its fairly dangerous, and wrecked my nice clean car too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭cutback

merlante wrote:
    I fairness, putting a cinema in the middle of nowhere is probably not very good planning. Particularly when it can only be reached by car. As much as it galls me to say it, it looks like McCann is right on this one.

What about this cinema out by the crystal centre, is that going ahead? There should be a cinema on the Dunmore Rd. as well.

These days most people want to be able to drive to the cinema and have free parking right outside so an out of town cinema seems to be the only option.

cutback wrote:
    These days most people want to be able to drive to the cinema and have free parking right outside so an out of town cinema seems to be the only option.

Yeah, most people don't want the roads to be clogged up with traffic either. Building things that are only reachable by car is a really bad idea. A cinema in the city centre, Dunmore road and in the Brown's rd. area would be perfect. There would be a cinema within walking distance of about 75% of the population.

Out of town facilities are a killer for traffic, and therefore also bad for the environment. It's really bad urban planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah I agree there should be a cinema out on the dunmore rd, but teh amount of objections you would get there to the planning would be rediculouse. They put up a notice a few years ago saying they were going to build a cinema beside lidl. No construction or anything has started on that, I assume its not happening any more.

Yeah I agree there should be a cinema out on the dunmore rd, but teh amount of objections you would get there to the planning would be rediculouse. They put up a notice a few years ago saying they were going to build a cinema beside lidl. No construction or anything has started on that, I assume its not happening any more.

Bloody NIMBYS. They'll force everything out onto the ORR and then they'll bitch when it turns into a carpark.

There should be a cinema in Ardkeen village, or else out by WLR. Would be perfect... I know the proposal seemed to die a death though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

I was discussing this with someone as I passed the Railway Square development yesterday. Over the past few years we have heard proposals for cinemas in Ardkeen, ORR, Crystal Centre and Railway Square (have I forgotten any?).

To date the only cinema in development is in the Railway Square complex and will be open in the summer. No word on the others!

I can't wait to finally have a choice of cinemas in Waterford as the current one in Patrick Street is pathetic!:mad:

Dac51 wrote:
    I was discussing this with someone as I passed the Railway Square development yesterday. Over the past few years we have heard proposals for cinemas in Ardkeen, ORR, Crystal Centre and Railway Square (have I forgotten any?).

To date the only cinema in development is in the Railway Square complex and will be open in the summer. No word on the others!

I can't wait to finally have a choice of cinemas in Waterford as the current one in Patrick Street is pathetic!:mad:

Aye, many times hath it been said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Dac51 wrote:

However, as soon as the one in Railway Square opens the Cinema in Patrick street will close.. therefore we will be down to one Cinema again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

mad man wrote:
    TBH when if it is not B&Q it will start to get embarressing.They are setting up shop in much smaller places than Waterford.

B&Q are definitely opening a Waterford store this year. We were told that about 3 weeks ago when we were in the Cork shop.

As for having too many DIY shops, can you ever really have to many :) (not to mention the fact that Woodies are overpriced and rubbish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

Sully04 wrote:
    Speaking of development in that general area, has anyone noticed how dangerous the road by Bolsters construction site for housing is? The road is all wet and mucky with no warning signs and the dumper trucks drive all the way up by Ballybeg / Halting site towards the college. Its fairly dangerous, and wrecked my nice clean car too!!

and did 1000euro worth of damage to my heap of crap of a car from a pothole that sent me into a ditch.

JMcL wrote:
    B&Q are definitely opening a Waterford store this year. We were told that about 3 weeks ago when we were in the Cork shop.

As for having too many DIY shops, can you ever really have to many :) (not to mention the fact that Woodies are overpriced and rubbish)

Exactly

• Advertisement
Advertisement