Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Places

• 02-02-2007 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭

I'm starting to get into Photography....

And I was just wondering if people could tell me of interesting places in waterford that I could go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

What sort of stuff do you intend to photograph? Are you new to Waterford?

If you're into the whole "urban decay" thing, Waterford's just right for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Rawr!

I just want to take interesting pictures. I don't have an particular genre or anything.

I've only been living here since october.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Loads of places here, if you have access to a car your laughing. Two mountain ranges, spectacular lakes, fantastic coastline, loads of villages etc. The city can also throw up some very interesting bits and bobs from an abstract point of view.
    There are a fair few boards photographers from Waterford too so there should be no shortage of people to give you a guided tour.
    Me and Fajitas meet up from time to time....well once so far :) So you'll get free tuition as well.
    All for the price of a pint!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Rawr: Manor Village could be classed as an "interesting place" :P

Anyway, Roen has given some good suggestions so ill say no more!

Roen wrote:
    All for the price of a pint!

Deal ;)
    Sully04 wrote:
    Manor Village could be classed as an "interesting place" :P

I'm sick of Manor... I want to be away from here. And hey! Did ya ever sort out the Comp Society?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Meh Comp Society there was a nice sign up but when it came to it, hardly nobody bothered to confirm their membership when I sent out an email. It just doesnt seem worth running with only 3 or 4 people. Plus despite asking, the college wouldnt help us with a few things we wanted to do.

*sigh*

</off-topic>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

isnt there some other computer society for teh wit Snet or something?

Oh just don't get me started... I think I annoyed Sully at one stage... Whenever I saw him, I kept askin about it.... But sher.... *sigh* Oh well....

Anyways...

I've seen some pretty nice places the past few days.....

isnt there some other computer society for teh wit Snet or something?

AFAIK, SNET is the only club. Like most IT things, the college doesnt give us much support! Hence why we couldnt really run it this year, and lack of support by those who signed up on the first day!

lol... all I remember was.... 2 for the price of one.. LOL... anywho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

You had to pay to join?

Yeah!!!

You had to pay to join?

Tis about €2 for each club / society you join.

We've also got Ireland's only Hindu-Gothic arch as well. Exciting times indeed! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'm sure I could pop down some time soon.

Dying to get some more L use... :D

I don't know what that means :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Roen wrote:
    We've also got Ireland's only Hindu-Gothic arch as well. Exciting times indeed! :D

Ha? Can you elaborate? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's confused ...

NO. I'm confused too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Waterford had lots of interesting beautiful places all right. The copper coast is amazing on a clear, calm, sunny day. I got a lovely picture along there a couple of summers ago, the sea was like glass. :) There are also a few spots around South Kilkenny worth looking at too, like Tory Hill, you can get some great shots of a few counties up there, you can see all the way to Tramore and the Waterford coast, you can get the Suir, you can get some nice shots of the Comeraghs, the Black Stairs, Mount Lenister, you can see The Saltees down in Kilmore Quay, on a clear day you could probably get a good shot of them, I can post up directions if anyone is interested. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Fajitas! wrote:
    I'm sure I could pop down some time soon.

Dying to get some more L use... :D

Me thinks someone is talkin about lithium???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Roens Hindu-Gothic arch is just outside Cappoquin, as you approach on the N72 from Dungarvan take the left turn at the right hand bend and follow the road for about 1.5 km there is a junction with a minor road going straight-on the arch is down there just before the river Blackwater.

Mike.

Beaten to the punch by Mike, it's in a place called Dromona on a bridge over the river there

Cool... yee are all real helpful... Thanks.... ani-wink.gif

tonc76 wrote:
    Me thinks someone is talkin about lithium???

No, Large bottle

Wow..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 cwat69

Maharet wrote:
    Waterford had lots of interesting beautiful places all right. The copper coast is amazing on a clear, calm, sunny day. I got a lovely picture along there a couple of summers ago, the sea was like glass. :) There are also a few spots around South Kilkenny worth looking at too, like Tory Hill, you can get some great shots of a few counties up there, you can see all the way to Tramore and the Waterford coast, you can get the Suir, you can get some nice shots of the Comeraghs, the Black Stairs, Mount Lenister, you can see The Saltees down in Kilmore Quay, on a clear day you could probably get a good shot of them, I can post up directions if anyone is interested. :)
    Sure Maharet id be grateful if you could post directions to Tory Hill,cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Okay, when you're coming out of town take the dublin road, keep heading out that road, past Irish's pub. You'll pass three turns for Kilmacow on your left, after the last one (just past the railway crossing on the opposite side of the road) watch out for a pink house on your right and another railway crossing, there'll be a sign for a junction and a right arrow on the road, there's also a wall with a long one of those black and yellow arrows on it, go across this railway crossing.

Follow that road up, when you get to a junction where the road keeps going straight and to the right, go to the right, keep going until you meet another junction where the road goes to the left and right, take the left turn, keep going again until you pass a farm on your right and the road turns left, follow this until you see a white house on your left, just after this house there is a turn to the left, take it slow along here as it is easy to miss, as you are turning left up here you should see a stone sign with Rath Uilin (sp?) on it, then you're on the right road! Follow this up, take it easy here, tis very narrow, there isn't much traffic but there are two farms up there so you may meet someone. Follow this in up to Tory Hill, you should pass a farm on your left, you'll come to a dirt track, take it handy here again tis very stony, after a few mins the road goes up to the right, go up to the top of that and you'll see a road going into the trees in front of you a road that curves down to the left and a road that goes up to the right with a bar across it. Park somewhere here, make sure all roads have access as they are used by farmers and the forestry service.

Then walk up the road with the bar across it, you have a choice of roads along the way, the first turn left goes up over a rocky bit and you can get to the top handy enough with that path, if you take this one, after a while you'll come to a road that goes on straight and curves up to the right, go up to the right and you'll get to the top, follow the path along the edge of the drop there and you should get up to the cross at the very top. It easy enough going, but it can be wet sometimes and will have a couple of downed trees along the way to pass, but they're easy enough to get around. :)

The other roads are a nice walk too and you can eventually get to the top bu they're a bit tougher going to actually get to the top. :)

As with all narrow country roads on the way up, you will have to stop and pull in for other cars or they will for you, if you get lost at any point, there are houses around and the locals are very helpful, especially the farmers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 cwat69

cheers maharet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Rawr, do you have a car?

• Advertisement

nope... :(

Advertisement