Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What process do you use to record?

Options
  • 02-02-2007 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

I myself have a rather decent bit of recording gear, but i've never truely put it to good use. When in a band i would record song ideas, just basic ideas add drums to that using Reason etc, but it would only be drums and guitar, and only one guitar at that as that's all the band consisted of. After this i would send it to the guys and we'd all work on it together at the next jam.

But just playing for the fun of it now, and i have lots of ideas, riffs etc. But i want to go from laying down simple beats to riffs and move on to full production of a track or two. But when i try and progress from a riff i find myself just getting bored and going back to playing whatever comes to me instead of focusing on the one thing.

So for the people who would delve quite deeply into the production of a song, how would you normally go about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Protools and a smidge of Reason does it all. Are you going to record real instruments (drums for example) or keep it all synth and guitar based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

nah this is all bedroom based, synth unfortunately. But just for drums, all guitar will be real, incl bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

A lot of the time I'll record down a few riffs be they midi/synth based or guitar based and it is very few that turn into full songs, maybe 5 prercent or so.

There are many techniques to develope ideas into full tunes, you just have to find the right one for you.

Some find jamin ideas with a mate to work, some smoke a spliff or go for a walk or whatever. I pretend that the song was already written and I just cant remember what the next riff or drum part or lyric was , but if I keep at it , it will come to me. When all the pieces are as I feel they should sound, the songs done.

Sorry if that seems a bit vague

eddyc wrote:
    I pretend that the song was already written and I just cant remember what the next riff or drum part or lyric was , but if I keep at it , it will come to me. When all the pieces are as I feel they should sound, the songs done.

What a fantastic way of going about things..Im gonna try that later..

Advertisement