Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car wash for a soft top???

Options
  • 02-02-2007 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I just got an Audi A4 convertible and am worried about bringing it through a car wash - any advice/opinions??? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Basically, don't. It'll damage the soft top and it's just not a good idea.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I've a 2005 S4 convertible, I've had no problems going through car washes. Car washes are also mentioned in the users' manual. (Have you not read it?)

I tend to check the car wash before I decide to use it, though. I prefer ones that use cloth instead of rubber. Haven't tried a brushless wash yet, I'm not sure if the roof would keep all the water out, and try to avoid them anyway as I'm not usually satisfied with how clean it gets.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

See my post here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I cannot understand how anyone would use an automatic wash at all to be honest.

I drive an Astra and I've never put it through an automatic wash. Whatever about your roof, they don't do your paintwork any favours.

To me, it's like cleaning your best wine glasses with a Brillo pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

PauloMN wrote:
    I cannot understand how anyone would use an automatic wash at all to be honest.

I drive an Astra and I've never put it through an automatic wash. Whatever about your roof, they don't do your paintwork any favours.

To me, it's like cleaning your best wine glasses with a Brillo pad.
    Here, Here.

Unfortunately Paulo the masses will never learn.

Dirt & Grit removed by car wash brushes, or wiped over with a sponge, jet washed off (& into) the paint = Brillo pad results. Hundreds & thousands of scratches and swirl marks when the sun comes out.

High Foaming shampoos to help loosen and lift the dirt, rinsed off with a low pressure garden hose, then shampooed again & wiped over with a soft plush wash mitt, then rinsed off once more, is the only way to go. Pat dry the remaining excess rinse water off the paint, with a soft microfibre towel to avoid mineral spotting (hard water).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I dont have a soft top but I dont use an automatic carwash. They are more trouble than they are worth. Scratches left everywhere and the car is only 80% clean. The costs of this carwash vary but the car ends up unclean.
    There is a disclaimer at each of these carwashes so they should take the wrap for providing a bad service. The tarspots and the dead flies are the worst to eliminate so I use rubbing compound or white spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

According to the manual in my car you can use it but do not select the Wax option as its bad for the roof.

I put mine through two washes first an ordinary one and it left all white fluff on the roof, like the roof was being torn to shreds, so I wont do that again, and secondly through a soft brush one on the rock road in dublin and it was excellent.

As for hand vs auto wash,for the last 15 years I always hand washed my cars and if I am honest I have done mosre damage I think to paint than a good auto wash has ever done. I have decided to give it a quick power wash myself regularly and let the pros at it every one - two months.

Nice Car the a4 btw - well ware ( 2.4 or 1.8t ) ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

sbk wrote:
    I just got an Audi A4 convertible and am worried about bringing it through a car wash - any advice/opinions??? Cheers
    As some posters have said... if you don't like your car, then put it through an automatic car wash. However, if you like it, then you'll search just a tiny bit harder to find a serviced manual one. Far better. Auto ones damage the paintwork, and no one can convince me otherwise. I've seen too many proofs.

Advertisement